probably a stupid question - PCIE tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a stupid question - PCIE tabs

It's been a few years since I built a computer...
    And I'm finally getting around to test fitting everything in my case and ran into a little bit of a snag. When trying to slide the 980ti HC in place it doesn't slide all the way in. looking closer at the slot covers that were removed, they have a little bend in them to hook them onto the outside of the case.

Is it normal to have to bend the tabs on these to get them hooked?

No, do not bend them. They can be very finicky to get until place, but they do not go on the outside of the slot like that cover did.

Comment

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

If it was damaged it will be bent. You bought an evga so they will take care of you. I myself would try bending it back slightly as long as it doesn't put pressure on the PCB.

If you need to bend and see that it will possibly crack the PCB from pressure, then I'd just return it.
        sigpic

Comment

I just couldn't remember if the tabs went outside like with the covers. The case I have doesn't have slots for the tabs to slide into. But the card riser is screwed into place and I think will be enough to secure the card. While mocking it up, I haven't moved the card riser and plugged in the card to it yet.

Comment

They should be inside the case. You take the back pcie supports ( I think you are calling them risers?) Off for the 1 slot and you will be able to see the cards silver output plate but should be mounted on the inside totally. If you are pulling the mount through the back of the case, no.
            sigpic

Comment

The case is a Lian-Li PC-O6S, so the card doesn't plug straight into the mobo, it's a remote mount. Everywhere I saw called the ribbon cable extension of the PCIe slot a riser. It is screwed and supported by the L-brackets.

With the tabs on the inside it should have plenty of support... I was just having a brain fart last night thinking they were supposed to be outside the case.

Comment

Working...
              X