No announcement yet.

Refinished Wood Furniture (SAR1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like using a lathe and turning the barrel to be on center of the bore and then using the lathe to thread the barrel is the right way to do it. Even if you have to turn the barrel down past the minimum OD to get the thread pitch desired I would then feel comfortable using an adapter. Using an adapter on a barrel that has an off center bore and then trying to suppress it seems like an awful idea.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
      It seems like using a lathe and turning the barrel to be on center of the bore and then using the lathe to thread the barrel is the right way to do it. Even if you have to turn the barrel down past the minimum OD to get the thread pitch desired I would then feel comfortable using an adapter. Using an adapter on a barrel that has an off center bore and then trying to suppress it seems like an awful idea.
      I should clarify what I'm talking about is to put a slant brake on the gun, or muzzle brake. In Mike's case, using a lathe is definitely not the way to do it, you have to use a press to remove the barrel pin, a jig to push the barrel out of the receiver, then press out ~6 pins to get all off the shit, press off each piece, then finally get the barrel ready to turn. Or, you could just toss a guide in a die and cut it assembled in a few minutes.

A lathe is the only way to thread for a suppressor. The bore is almost never concentric to the barrel blank. IF you get it completely concentric, and you cut a 17x1 (and have enough material to even do it once it's concentric) you still will be risking your can as it has no shelf to true against. The adapters are popular because people either don't know how to do it right, or figure out just how difficult it is. I have two AK's threaded for cans, and I can assure you, it isn't worth it. For my 7.62x39 gun I had to cut a custom pitch into the barrel, and then cut a custom TOMB for my suppressor to mount it. You cannot trust the front sight to true your can against.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Ok, I got you now. So it's like straight barrel and then all of a sudden it's threads. Yeah thats not cool for suppressor. In machinest lingo I *think* thats called a shoulder. I machine nearly every day and I still make up words for stuff, sometimes it's hard to follow.

Comment

Ok, I got you now. So it's like straight barrel and then all of a sudden it's threads. Yeah thats not cool for suppressor.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

factory threaded saiga barrel hidden under the front sight shroud (lucky)

standard barrel that's been threaded. As you can see there's no shelf, just the front sight, which was machined by a drunk Ukrainian named Helga using a bow saw and a cinder block.

Here's what the barrel looks like. Perfectly fine for a muzzle brake... and only a muzzle brake. They tear up dies because they are case hardened.
          Last edited by CJ; 07-20-2016, 07:39 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Ok, I got you now. So it's like straight barrel and then all of a sudden it's threads. Yeah thats not cool for suppressor. In machinest lingo I *think* thats called a shoulder. I machine nearly every day and I still make up words for stuff, sometimes it's hard to follow.
            yes, shoulder, shelf, I make this shit up as I go.

Comment

Is case hardened all the way through the material or is it only on the surface?

Comment

Is case hardened all the way through the material or is it only on the surface?

Just a few thousandths, but it's enough to tear up Chinese dies.

Comment

Came across this video. What do you think CJ?

Sorry for the camerawork but it was below zero when I did this in my non-heated garage. The lube froze on me in about 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                  X