Colt Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
    What I don't want to carry around is a Joker gun.

It's just my personal opinion, but an 8" barrel is too long. Hell, you can touch the target with the front sight, how are you going to miss?

Handguns inherently lack the ability to take advantage of all the pressures and dynamics of total powder burn. That's just the nature of the beast with handguns. That's why rifles are so much better in a gunfight. They utilize all the energy available, and with a longer barrel are much more accurate.
    Why own a 6" if you can't conceal carry it? Why own a 4", you can't conceal carry that either? And if you're not conceal carrying it, it's just a range queen. And in that regard, why end up with a gun that's inferior? I don't think an 8" barrel is too long at all. Personally I think it makes the gun look better, handle better, and it's considerably more accurate. As far as full powder burn, it's irrelevant in .357. 8" barrels do have a distinct advantage in velocity, it certainly makes a difference in this particular cartridge given it's length and caliber diameter. The Colt python is made specifically to be a target pistol, and of those target pistols, the longest barrel is by far the most accurate.

As tested with Cor Bon 110 gr. JHP
    bbl....velocity
    2".......928
    4"......1286
    6"......1461
    8"......1600
    Last edited by CJ; 11-21-2010, 10:24 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      Why own a 6" if you can't conceal carry it? Why own a 4", you can't conceal carry that either? And if you're not conceal carrying it, it's just a range queen. And in that regard, why end up with a gun that's inferior? I don't think an 8" barrel is too long at all. Personally I think it makes the gun look better, handle better, and it's considerably more accurate. As far as full powder burn, it's irrelevant in .357. 8" barrels do have a distinct advantage in velocity, it certainly makes a difference in this particular cartridge given it's length and caliber diameter. The Colt python is made specifically to be a target pistol, and of those target pistols, the longest barrel is by far the most accurate.

As tested with Cor Bon 110 gr. JHP
      bbl....velocity
      2".......928
      4"......1286
      6"......1461
      8"......1600
      When all I had was the 4" Model 65, I carried that mofo concealed all the time. I even walked around D.C. with it.

I'd rather have a .357 Mag @ 1286 fps than any .40 S&W cartridge known to man.

Comment

When all I had was the 4" Model 65, I carried that mofo concealed all the time. I even walked around D.C. with it.

I'd rather have a .357 Mag @ 1286 fps than any .40 S&W cartridge known to man.
        My primary point is buying a target pistol with a short barrel is a waste of money.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Only reason I would get the colt python 6" is because it was the gun my dad always wanted. Would probably be a safe queen but I wouldn't care.

Comment

My primary point is buying a target pistol with a short barrel is a waste of money.
            Oh, well then I don't have any target pistols.

I consider my 4" S&W 686 a "combat revolver".

That gun has the best trigger of any revolver at any price I've fired.

I'd really like to compare it to your Python.

Comment

I own one of the original numbered edition models with the 8" barrel polished, Some people refer to it as black chrome. It is by far the most accurate pistol I own. I shot a 5" group from 50 yards sitting on a chair screwing around last night. The earlier numbered editions will fetch around $1,500. You can find the later iterations around $1000, probably a shade more for one in great condition. In my opinion it is the best revolver made. If you're interested you're more than welcome to come shoot it sometime.

That a modded sig 522 in the background?

Comment

I have the King Cobra and wouldn't take the world for it. It belonged to my grandfather and has literally had less than 20 rounds in it since it was new. I also have my Dad's Dan Wesson sitting right beside it.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                  That a modded sig 522 in the background?
                  Actually its my ruger 10/22.

Comment

Actually its my ruger 10/22.
                    Nice

Comment

Needs more F-stop.

Comment

Needs more F-stop.
                        I didnt feel like setting up studio lights so I had to drop the f stop.

Comment

This thread makes me want a revolver. Damn you all.
                          Originally posted by lincolnboy
                          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                            This thread makes me want a revolver. Damn you all.
                            My next revolver will be a 8" raging bull in .454 casull or .223.

Comment

My next revolver will be a 8" raging bull in .454 casull or .223.
                              They make .223 revolvers

All I have is an old Smith and Wesson 28-2 that was my uncles service pistol for a while. He killed a guy with it too.

I want something simple, like a 686 with a 6 inch barrel or something.
                              Originally posted by lincolnboy
                              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                                They make .223 revolvers

All I have is an old Smith and Wesson 28-2 that was my uncles service pistol for a while. He killed a guy with it too.

I want something simple, like a 686 with a 6 inch barrel or something.
                                Just sayin'

Comment

Working...
                                X