Ar 15 - 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar 15 - 101

I wanted to see if I could get the more knowledgable here to outline the ins and outs of the AR 15. Just the basics. Who the various makers are and which are the high end and which the low end. What sort of configurations people usually find in already built rifles. Like close range or long range or sniper??? That was just a suggestion since I really don't know what configurations are common for that rifle. Like I noticed on a Colt I saw online that it had a rail all along the top so that scopes and other optics could be mounted and removed and it said they would not lose zero in the process but I have not seen many AR like that. Also what are the "to die for" ready made models. Although I don't guess many of us are interested too much in rifles much over $2000.....

So learn me the details of the AR 15.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
    2011 Harley Davidson F150
    2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

I'm pretty sure I've built/shot/configured just about every variety. Ask some of your more specific questions, it would be a novel to cover it front to back.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      I'm pretty sure I've built/shot/configured just about every variety. Ask some of your more specific questions, it would be a novel to cover it front to back.
      Ok So what brands are the best in already built rifles? I know Colt is the high end in most places they chose to compete but I think they are really only just now getting back into this area.

What things would you look for in your first already built AR? It will be my first but I don't really want anything all that introductory. I have a tendancy to keep my guns and not trade a lot so I want to buy for keeps.

There are so many ARs when I look at the gun show and I just want to know what the major feature differences are and what accounts for the price differences.

Thanks
      Mike

Comment

Read this...

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
          Ok So what brands are the best in already built rifles? I know Colt is the high end in most places they chose to compete but I think they are really only just now getting back into this area.

What things would you look for in your first already built AR? It will be my first but I don't really want anything all that introductory. I have a tendancy to keep my guns and not trade a lot so I want to buy for keeps.

There are so many ARs when I look at the gun show and I just want to know what the major feature differences are and what accounts for the price differences.

Thanks
          Mike
          Colt is the quintessential AR-15 manufacturer. Armalite designed it, Colt perfected it. It is for all intents and purposes their weapon, they made it what it is today. In my humble opinion there is no manufacturer of higher regard, and their prices will reflect this.

As for pre-built, I've never found one aftermarket AR-15 manufacturer that was crap, they are all built on just about the same tooling, and same specifications. Some have nifty little features and other material marketing points, but for all intents and purposes all AR variants are good. You might wonder why I can't name any manufacturers that make junk Ar-15's... that's because it's really hard to screw one up. I always joke that AR-15's are skill level 1 - snap together. Everything screws together, snaps on, or automatically indexes itself - it couldn't be easier. The engineering behind the AR-15 is the reason it's still the best battle rifle in my opinion.

the top turn key rifles in my opinion would be Colt, Larue, and LMT. All of which are probably going to be outside of what you will want to spend.

Mike, I know you don't want to hear this, but it's the truth - you shouldn't purchase an "already built" AR-15. You need to build one yourself so you go from being in the dark, to being completely experienced with all of it's functions. Now, when people say to build an AR-15, most of them mean assemble a stripped Ar-15 lower, throw a stock on it, and buy a complete upper. I'm referring to buying a barrel, assembling the upper received, BCG, lower, everything. However, both approaches will benefit you. It's cheaper, you learn everything you will ever need to know, and you will always understand the weapon.
          Last edited by CJ; 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Here's another approach... Buy a pre-built one like a Delton and start shooting it. As you find out more about it, you'll either upgrade parts or build your own. If it turns out you're not into the whole AR-15 thing, then sell it and you're not out a while lot of money and time.
            Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              Colt is the quintessential AR-15 manufacturer. Armalite designed it, Colt perfected it. It is for all intents and purposes their weapon, they made it what it is today. In my humble opinion there is no manufacturer of higher regard, and their prices will reflect this.

As for pre-built, I've never found one aftermarket AR-15 manufacturer that was crap, they are all built on just about the same tooling, and same specifications. Some have nifty little features and other material marketing points, but for all intents and purposes all AR variants are good. You might wonder why I can't name any manufacturers that make junk Ar-15's... that's because it's really hard to screw one up. I always joke that AR-15's are skill level 1 - snap together. Everything screws together, snaps on, or automatically indexes itself - it couldn't be easier. The engineering behind the AR-15 is the reason it's still the best battle rifle in my opinion.

the top turn key rifles in my opinion would be Colt, Larue, and LMT. All of which are probably going to be outside of what you will want to spend.

Mike, I know you don't want to hear this, but it's the truth - you shouldn't purchase an "already built" AR-15. You need to build one yourself so you go from being in the dark, to being completely experienced with all of it's functions. Now, when people say to build an AR-15, most of them mean assemble a stripped Ar-15 lower, throw a stock on it, and buy a complete upper. I'm referring to buying a barrel, assembling the upper received, BCG, lower, everything. However, both approaches will benefit you. It's cheaper, you learn everything you will ever need to know, and you will always understand the weapon.
              That seems sort of like a catch 22. I want to build an AR15 to learn all about them but I need to know all about them to build one???? How will I pick all those parts out? Is there a book or a website that covers this stuff well?

Comment

AR15.com is your web resource. Buy a lower parts kit. You dont need to know all about them first. First you need to decide what kind of shooting you are going to be doing.

I built my first stripped lower yesterday and it went great. Looks awesome with my 50 cal upper on it. I have 4 more stripped lowers that I bought before the new regime took over. Different brands to check fit and function and see which I like. One is going to turn into a SBR and one will be long varmint gun. Others will probably sell. I have been shooting them for years but these are first attempts at building.

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk View Post
                  AR15.com is your web resource. Buy a lower parts kit. You dont need to know all about them first. First you need to decide what kind of shooting you are going to be doing.

I built my first stripped lower yesterday and it went great. Looks awesome with my 50 cal upper on it. I have 4 more stripped lowers that I bought before the new regime took over. Different brands to check fit and function and see which I like. One is going to turn into a SBR and one will be long varmint gun. Others will probably sell. I have been shooting them for years but these are first attempts at building.
                  pm me a price if you want to get rid of one..
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    pm me a price if you want to get rid of one..
                    x2

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk View Post

Question: So in building one yourself, can you consistantly select the highest end or high performance parts and in the end make one more valuable than you can buy already built? Some of these guns go into the $3000 range and up. What would it cost to build one like that? Will you be able to sell the home built rifles for more than what you have in them?

Also, does the building of an AR require any special tools or skills? Or is it all screw together type stuff?

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

If you're going to build an upper, you should buy an armorer's wrench, but nothing about them is that challenging. Watch all the videos you can on youtube, and check out the how-to's on arfcom. You can do it.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Ok.. So can someone point me in the right direction for the AR i want?

Here is what i want..

stock that will collapse
                          handle
                          cheap but decent sights (good to 100 yards ISH) no scope at this time
                          light laser combo

Is that do-able under 900 bucks or am i crazy?
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Ok.. So can someone point me in the right direction for the AR i want?

Here is what i want..

stock that will collapse
                            handle
                            cheap but decent sights (good to 100 yards ISH) no scope at this time
                            light laser combo

Is that do-able under 900 bucks or am i crazy?
                            Very do-able, you'll just get crappy sights though.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                            Originally posted by Denny
                            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Very do-able, you'll just get crappy sights though.
                              so what do you recommend i purchase?
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X