03 Mach 1 money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 Mach 1 money pit

A little back story on the car. In 2006, I had just sold my 99 Cobra with the intention of looking for a 03-04 Cobra. While crusing autotrader, I found a super clean 03 Mach 1 in Houston. Car was fairly stock save for some Eibach springs, catback and 18" replica wheels. It was also about $8k cheaper than a similar Cobra so I pulled the trigger on it.

After owning it a few months, I started regretting buying it as I still wanted a terminator. I started looking around for a Cobra again when I came across an auction on eBay for some Cobra parts. It's been downhill ever since.

I got all of the stuff in the pic below for $50 shipped. For anyone who knows what Cobra parts bring (especially in 2006), I literally stole all this shit and was on my way to swapping an Eaton on the car.

Buying more shit

Might as well go all the way now if it's going to have an Eaton.

T-56 and Cobra tank

IRS with full FTBR bushing kit

Swapped to coilovers up front

Had the stock Eaton rebuilt along with a stage 1 port

Comment

Got the car back together after a 3-4 months and finally had my "Cobra"

Car put down 460rwhp with stock pulleys but I had issues with detonation in the heat of the summer since the stock motor was 10:1 compression.

Comment

I love the look of the IRS, since it gives the rear a beefy appearance, but it's just so heavy! I've been wanting to do this, so if you decide you have to bail out fast....

That's a clean Mach 1. And yes, you might have well beat that guy down with a bat for the price you paid for those parts. The damn heat exchanger brackets alone go for 200+ sometimes
        Originally posted by Buzzo
        Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

What are you going to do about the hole in the hood? I am jealous because I have been looking for a lower setup for a few years now. All that shit is pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
            What are you going to do about the hole in the hood?
            You can rig up the shaker.

sigpic

Comment

Very nice. Looks like it is built the way you like.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I drove it with the Eaton swap for about a year before I started having issues with the alternator and power steering pump all the time. I parked it one day and started tearing into it to replace the alt and power steering pump. While it was apart, a member on here was selling a built teksid motor from a 96 Cobra so decided to replace the motor before I blew mine up. Had it pulled apart to hone the block and replace the rings and bearings. Found some issues once it was apart so wound up getting the block punched and putting new pistons in as well. Also had the dress up stuff powdercoated wrinkle black.

While all this was going on, I started shopping for a KB or Whipple... and wound up buying a turbo kit.

THEN my wife got pregnant and I started back in college to finish my degree. The car literally sat in the garage collecting dust until last year once life started slowing down. I wound up selling the original turbo kit I bought and picked up an on3performance forward facing kit. I sold all the extra shit it came with and just kept the piping.

That's where I'm at now.

Comment

Sounds like mine. Jack stands for life.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Turbo kit is the on3performance forward facing single kit. All I'm using from the kit is the plumbing and the intercooler. I'll be using a Masterpower T76 w/ a .96ar.

Ceramic coated headers

All the hotside will be wrapped in PTP lava wrap and the turbo will wear a PTP lava blanket

It'll have 2 Precision 38mm wastegates and a RPS 50mm blow-off valve. I've switched it to a slot-style mass air meter with a Diablo MAFia since my cold side is only 3".
                    I also plan on putting in an electric cutout on my downpipe shortly after the turbo and routing it out under the front edge of the bumper.

Fuel system consists of a DivisionX hat with twin Walbro 465lph pumps, -8an feed and return and 80lb injectors. Hopefully the injectors will be enough for e85.

Trans is a T56 from an 03 Cobra. I had it rebuilt with with billet syncro keys, bronze fork pads, 26 spline input shaft and a forged TOB retainer sleeve. I also put a lighter spring in the reverse lockout solenoid since the Mach 1 isn't provisioned for that and I didn't feel ike wiring it up to a switch.

Engine is a teksid block and crank from a 96 Cobra. It's punched .030 over with Manley Platinum series pistons with coated skirts, coated Total Seal rings, King engine bearings and Manley h beam rods. All ARP hardware throughout. Should be good for 800hp. Heads/cams are still the stock C heads that the car came with.

Comment

Just bought some new wheels for it last week. 18x9.5 and 18x11 CCW Classics w/ satin black centers. 275/35 and 335/30 BFG KDW2

Comment

The IRS makes the ass end look a lot better.

Dammit...I should have kept mine.

Comment

Here is one of the few ass end shots I have post-IRS swap. Thinking about polishing the exhaust before it goes back in. Will also look a lot better with those 335's out back instead of the wimpy 275's.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's the perfect combo right there. I like the "snake skin" BFGs on there too...they look nasty!
                            You should've said something to me about the engine! I have one exactly like it sitting in the garage that needs to go. I-beams instead of Hs, though.

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking about ditching the KDW2's and picking up Toyo R888's. I like the way the KDW2's look but the last set I owned were noisy and traction was meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X