Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here had to deal with sueing a subcontractor/business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is hard for me to discern all of the details here probably because I did not spend time reading and am pressed for time at the moment.

But as someone who spends all day every day dealing with construction and legal work in the commercial real estate world, I fail to see how this is anyone except the Builder and/or General Contractor's problem. This certainly is not the owner's problem.

GeorgeG, are you the owner?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
      Are you building in VA?
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      It is hard for me to discern all of the details here probably because I did not spend time reading and am pressed for time at the moment.

But as someone who spends all day every day dealing with construction and legal work in the commercial real estate world, I fail to see how this is anyone except the Builder and/or General Contractor's problem. This certainly is not the owner's problem.

GeorgeG, are you the owner?
      Yes, and Yes.

Everyone else, thanks for the info. It's definitely going to be a process. I know I can let the builder handle it and I've already made it clear that I won't be spending tons of money trying to get this resolved because at the end of the day, it comes out of his cut. I don't mind getting involved at this point cause 1) the builder already fucked up enough and 2) out of pure principle.

Thanks for suggesting the demand letter. Once I find an attorney, I'll start with that. If you look at the big picture, the punitive damages exceed 25k. We've had to file two extensions which come with a fee, and the added costs of calling the other subs back out to finish up now that the plumbing contractor breached their contract and we had to find another to come in and clean up their mess.

Comment

Did you maintain any friendships with people from high school who turned out slightly shady? If so, time to hit up favors.

If not, are you afraid of combustibles? If both are out, are you well off enough for an attorney to milk you?

If you like throwing money around it's going to be retainer around 3-5k.

Comment

I actually have a court date next monday to sue concrete contractor that pretty much left me hanging. I'm out 3.8k. what was supposed to be week to 2 weeks ended up being 3 months of nightmare. He would only show up here and there and do like hour worth of work and leave. Pretty much played me. He got 1/3 of money during signing, then rest of the 50% throughout the weeks after, then like he stopped. I knew that fool was needing money, but as soon as I stopped paying, he stopped showing. He left a disastor in the front, and left crap everywhere. Finally got someone else to finish it. So I don't think I'll ever see the money. I printed off couple forms(Writ of Execution, and Writ of Garnishment), but fingers crossed on that. I think the Writ of Execution will probably be the one that I will try to use.

If that fails, I'm taking his ass to Judge Judy!!!!
          hahahahahah

Comment

Do not forget a 1099 to the concrete contractor.
            You want crooks to pay their "fair share" too.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
              Do not forget a 1099 to the concrete contractor.
              You want crooks to pay their "fair share" too.

1099 after the fact?

Not even sure he'll show up to court to tell you truth. But will do whatever I can, if I have to grab more forms to shove up his ass, I will. As long as that dude didn't move or left to Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                1099 after the fact?

Not even sure he'll show up to court to tell you truth. But will do whatever I can, if I have to grab more forms to shove up his ass, I will. As long as that dude didn't move or left to Mexico
                A 1099 just tells Uncle Sam that you paid the guy because he likely won't report it himself. Make him pay taxes on the money you gave him.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                  A 1099 just tells Uncle Sam that you paid the guy because he likely won't report it himself. Make him pay taxes on the money you gave him.

gotcha

Comment

Working...
                  X