Scope rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scope rings

Why do I want to spend $200 on a set of scope rings that walmarts $20 ones look like they will do the same thing?

I purchased a DPMS LR-308 last Saturday from academy and looking to put a SWFA SS 3-15x42 on top of it to do some 300-600yard shooting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The $20 rings will flex, move, shift, tweak, and who knows what else from the recoil causing the scope to not hold zero. The $200 rings are solid and wont give like the cheap ones will.

Comment

Cheap rings are typically built with inferior metals and can cause bending or possible tube damage.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Just buy my TPS high rings and be done with it. $50, and a BBQ plate, and you come to Stephenville to get them.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
          Why do I want to spend $200 on a set of scope rings that walmarts $20 ones look like they will do the same thing?

I purchased a DPMS LR-308 last Saturday from academy and looking to put a SWFA SS 3-15x42 on top of it to do some 300-600yard shooting.
          The same reason you don't put $100 futura tires on a ferrari. They look like they'll do the same thing, but they don't. A scope is for accuracy, so if you take a $1000 scope on a $1000 rifle and attach the two with a $20 set of rings you've wasted a whole lot of money. But this primarily applies to high end glass and weapons. If we're talking about a .22 or other low recoil rifle then you're probably okay with cheap rings.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
          X