No announcement yet.

Thai food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The better half and I were talking, and we realized I've never had Indian food or more specifically curry. I'm not sure the difference between Indian food and Thai food if there is one, but I'm interested to try curry since I have no idea what it is. I usually like new foods I try and was looking for suggestions on where to start for my first time out. Thank you. Ft worth, Keller, south lake, mid cities area in that order if possible

Comment

Curry is a spice.

Comment

Oh and I like hot just not wipe my ass with a habanero pepper kind of hot

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
          Curry is a spice.
          From what I've read, I thought it was more of a flavor or form of preparation.

Comment

It's used to make sauces and such and that's where the preparation part of it comes in( I believe) different cultures mix it with different things to create their "curry's"

Comment

It's used to make sauces and such and that's where the preparation part of it comes in( I believe) different cultures mix it with different things to create their "curry's"
              Any places you suggest? It dishes you recommend

Comment

Curry is a spice.
                Actually, it is a style of dish that varies greatly from region to region. The idea of a "curry spice" is typically western due to the fact that nearly every regional curry preparation requires different spices.

Not only that, but most curry dishes do not even contain the spice mix that most westerners consider to be "curry powder". It is not present in Asian curry dishes.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

We are both right!

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
                    Any places you suggest? It dishes you recommend
                    If you're just looking to try Indian food, hit up Indian Palace on 635 & Preston. If you go at lunch, it's a buffet, so you can try a little bit of everything to figure out what you like. I always recommend a buffet for new types of food. The quality isn't likely to be top notch, but you can get an idea for flavors.

If you end up going somewhere else, chicken tikka masala is a nice way to ease in to Indian food. It's not a curry dish, but it's a good starting point for Indian food.

As for curry, man, there's so many different variations, it's hard to make a suggestion not knowing what you like. A lot of people like coconut curry, but you may not like coconut.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

This place is in Hurst and it's surprisingly good imo.

I had the salmon curry (salmon cooked in red curry paste, coconut, bell pepper, snow peas, and basil leaves) and it was phenomenal. Good price for the size of the filet too. It was cooked in a coconut curry sauce so be ready for it to be slightly sweet.

It's in a strip center, but a lot of Asian places are. As for Indian, Brent is exactly right, always try the chicken tikka misala before getting adventurous.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Thai food is awesome!

Comment

Well I headed out for Indian food and my girl took me to a Thai place by mistake. I had a yellow curry with chicken and potatoes and it was pretty good. When they asked if I wanted it spicy, I declined but still thought it would have more kick. Maybe ill go spicy next time. I kept my maiden dish a modest one but it was delicious. I feel I'll be venturing out more with both

Comment

Yellow curry is the least spicy of them all, in the first place. I also think it's the worst tasting. Red curry is my favorite, followed by Panang and Green (sweet). The yellow (including Mussaman), I pretty much always stay away from, though it is good from time to time.

They have good noodle dishes as well (pas woon sen, pad kee mao, rad na, etc...).

I kinda burnt myself out on Thai, but am really starting to crave it again after a conversation I had over the weekend and this thread popping up again.
                            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                              ...The yellow (including Mussaman)...
                              This is one of my faves. I get it spicy.

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
                                The better half and I were talking, and we realized I've never had Indian food or more specifically curry. I'm not sure the difference between Indian food and Thai food if there is one, but I'm interested to try curry since I have no idea what it is. I usually like new foods I try and was looking for suggestions on where to start for my first time out. Thank you. Ft worth, Keller, south lake, mid cities area in that order if possible
                                Thai and Indian are different.
                                I really like Mai Thai in Haslet, favs are pad thai, red curry and Pineapple Curry Fried Rice
                                Haven't found an Indian place worth a crap, been told there is one in south Arlington that "isn't bad" and a decent place in Dallas.
                                Also like Japanese curry but no chance of finding that around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X