What is up with my bore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is up with my bore?

Saturday I took one of my AR's out with the intention of seeing how accurate it is. After a disappointing day at the range, I decided to take a look at everything after cleaning it. To my surprise, I found these odd ridges in the bore. I'm guessing this barrel has always been junk, I just never realized it. It has less than a thousand rounds through it.
    Attached Files
    IMG_0424

What brand is it?
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Del-Ton. 20" heavy contour I bought 3-4 years ago or so.
      IMG_0424

Comment

That's odd. I have a a Del-Ton 16" heavy (chrome lined) and it looks nothing like that. I also hade a non chrome lined one that had some VERY minor ridges, but both held very good groups at 100-200 yds. Looks like yours may have slipped through QC.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Has it ever been accurate?
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Looks like reaming marks. I've seen the same or worse on some custom barrels. Some of them Shooting 1/4-1/2MOA out to 600yds.

What kind of results were you getting at the range?
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
              Looks like reaming marks. I've seen the same or worse on some custom barrels. Some of them Shooting 1/4-1/2MOA out to 600yds.

What kind of results were you getting at the range?
              That's not the chamber end.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                That's not the chamber end.
                As evidenced by the rifling...

I stand by my previous statement.

Looks like it was reamed to finish bore diameter AFTER gun drilling the barrel, then rifled such that the rifler didn't take off any metal atop the lands.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  As evidenced by the rifling...

I stand by my previous statement.

Looks like it was reamed to finish bore diameter AFTER gun drilling the barrel, then rifled such that the rifler didn't take off any metal atop the lands.
                  Huh? It was either pull button rifled, hamer forged or cut most likely one of the first two. Either way the bore is drilled then the groves are put in the cross marks are visible on both yhe lands and the groves. The only thing done after that is lapping either by hand or fire lapped.

It looks to me like it might have impurities in the steel or if Chrome lined the lining is possibly starting to crack.

Comment

did you try using quality ammo ?
                    just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                      Huh? It was either pull button rifled, hamer forged or cut most likely one of the first two. Either way the bore is drilled then the groves are put in the cross marks are visible on both yhe lands and the groves. The only thing done after that is lapping either by hand or fire lapped.

It looks to me like it might have impurities in the steel or if Chrome lined the lining is possibly starting to crack.
                      Pull button rifling doesn't remove any metal, it only forces the grooves into the barrel creating the lands. so you could have the cross marks on the lands and the grooves left over from the barrel being reamed to bore diameter prior to the rifling being created...Being that the grooves are perfectly lined up across the lands and grooves, I still think it's from a reamer or possibly the button rifling tool...

Comment

Wow, that thing must lead up like a son of a bitch. Send them that picture and ask them for their opinion. I'd like to hear what they say.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Wow, that thing must lead up like a son of a bitch. Send them that picture and ask them for their opinion. I'd like to hear what they say.
                          That is exactly what I was thinking CJ. No wonder its not accurate. Also chronograph the bullet to see if it is being slowed at all.(curious)

Comment

You should see the crown on my rock river brl. I have no idea htf it holds a group but it holds moa or under all day long.

Comment

Ammo definitely isn't the issue. Last weekend I was shooting black hills 75gr and tried some 40gr fiocchi vmax's with the same result, 2" flyers.

I'll shoot del-ton an email and see if they even respond.
                              IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                              X