What is up with my bore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
    Pull button rifling doesn't remove any metal, it only forces the grooves into the barrel creating the lands. so you could have the cross marks on the lands and the grooves left over from the barrel being reamed to bore diameter prior to the rifling being created...Being that the grooves are perfectly lined up across the lands and grooves, I still think it's from a reamer or possibly the button rifling tool...
    It would look the same all the way through then not just a spot here or there like it is. It seems like there is too much gap in between the marks to me.
    Last edited by dee; 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
      Ammo definitely isn't the issue. Last weekend I was shooting black hills 75gr and tried some 40gr fiocchi vmax's with the same result, 2" flyers.

I'll shoot del-ton an email and see if they even respond.
      I assume you mean black hills 77gr? That's mk262 ammo, some of the most accurate box ammo you can get. If it isn't shooting straight with that there is a problem.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Have you tried cleaning it really well?

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          He said he discovered it after cleaning it. Those kind of tooling marks are going to cause excessive leading, it's going to build up in those channels like running a piece of chalk across a wash board. It's already got a problem that's obvious. I would question the soundness of the barrel as a whole in all respects.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            I assume you mean black hills 77gr? That's mk262 ammo, some of the most accurate box ammo you can get. If it isn't shooting straight with that there is a problem.
            No, 75gr. It uses the same projectile in the 75gr Hornady TAP ammo.

I hardly shoot it, but I still always clean it afterwords.
            IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
              No, 75gr. It uses the same projectile in the 75gr Hornady TAP ammo.

I hardly shoot it, but I still always clean it afterwords.
              Interesting, this isn't mk262 ammo then. I'm sure it's still accurate. It's been a long time since I bought ammo from them, but they use to use 77gr sierra matchkings. I guess they cheapened out with hornady.

Comment

Interesting, this isn't mk262 ammo then. I'm sure it's still accurate. It's been a long time since I bought ammo from them, but they use to use 77gr sierra matchkings. I guess they cheapened out with hornady.
                They still make/sell the 77SMK's. I'm the cheapo to save $5/box, and the 75's were more readily available.
                IMG_0424

Comment

He said he discovered it after cleaning it. Those kind of tooling marks are going to cause excessive leading, it's going to build up in those channels like running a piece of chalk across a wash board. It's already got a problem that's obvious. I would question the soundness of the barrel as a whole in all respects.
                  I meant a good scrubbing with a copper reducer not just swiping some hoppes or shooters choice down the bore.

They loaded Nosler cc's at one point for the contact ammo when Nosler got the contact.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                    I meant a good scrubbing with a copper reducer not just swiping some hoppes or shooters choice down the bore.

They loaded Nosler cc's at one point for the contact ammo when Nosler got the contact.
                    I didn't know that. I thought mk262 was 22.0gr Varget behind a 77gr Sierra Matchking.

Comment

I didn't know that. I thought mk262 was 22.0gr Varget behind a 77gr Sierra Matchking.
                      Not sure on the powder but I know Nosler and Sierra both had contracts for the same bullets.

Comment

I thought to shoot the 77g stuff you needed more twist ?
                        just ignore me im hardly reading this thread
                        I do remember delton had a bad rap though, im not remembering if it was malfunctions or the cheapness..... but wtf do i know

Comment

I exchanged a few emails with Del-ton, they responded very quickly. They said "...looking at the barrel, you are correct. Something is not quite right." They offered to take it in for service. I didn't ask if they were going to charge me anything, but i'm going to send it off tomorrow, just to see what happens.
                          IMG_0424

Comment

I'm sure they will replace it. That first picture is all anyone needs to come to that conclusion

Comment

I'm sure they will replace it. That first picture is all anyone needs to come to that conclusion
                              After pulling the barrel to box up, I inspected the bore through the gas port and you can see the same circular marks. I tried to look up the chamber, but couldn't get the light just right to be able to peek in there. Not that there's any doubt it's the full bore length.

If they replace it, I'd be very pleased, although after having the barrel for two years, I wouldn't hold them responsible to do so. It's my fault for not inspecting it when I first bought it. I dont even know what their warranty policy is.
                              IMG_0424

Comment

If it was in the chamber as well I would suspect metal quality problem or a chrome lining problem if it's lined.

Comment

Working...
                                X