New Ford Ranger oil change...remove wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ford Ranger oil change...remove wheel

Yup, remove wheel (6 bolts), remove wheel well access door (9 clips) to get to the filter and remove underbody shield (4 bolts) to drain.

WTH. For a truck.
    Ever swapped out the battery in a cloud-car Chrysler, or maybe an old Sebring or PT Cruiser? You’ll be reminded of that when the time comes to change your new-generation Ford Ranger’s oil, assuming you’re a proud member of the DIY crowd.Job One for those looking to freshen the Ranger’s internal lubricant, besides heading to the store for a couple of jugs of synthetic and a filter, is to break out the jack. You’ll need to remove a wheel.(Editor’s N…
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Should he good news for the service shops!

Comment

20K oil changes will be happening for some, lol.

Comment

I drove a 2001 Ranger for 17 years. I bought a new truck 2 months ago, I bypassed the new Ranger as it looked too complicated, and rather expensive. I bought a 2019 Nissan Frontier, it was much less expensive, and simpler. This just confirms my decision.

Comment

I'm not seeing it as that big a deal, being that you have to jack it up anyway. With the correct tools and sockets on hand we are talking an extra 2-3 minutes max, big friggin' whoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            I'm not seeing it as that big a deal, being that you have to jack it up anyway. With the correct tools and sockets on hand we are talking an extra 2-3 minutes max, big friggin' whoop.
            I was thinking this as well...then I remembered I stopped changing my oil all together and take it to a service station. Price is nearly the same and no hassle.

I cant imagine too many people will care...especially with oil change intervals being so long now.

Comment

I was considering buying some new Rangers and this does affect my decision.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                I have yet to own a truck that I had to jack up to change oil. In the 17 years I owned my Ranger, I did 44 oil changes on it - I just crawled underneath it, and was done in 10 minutes. I crawled under the new Nissan before the test drive, it's nearly as easy to change the oil as the Ranger.

For a truck - I want it simple.

Comment

Exactly why you don’t buy it. Remove wheels and shit for oil change? Nah no thx

Comment

I have 2005 and 2016 Dodge 2500 trucks both with the Cummins engines. The 2005 allows a filter change from the bottom and it makes a hell of a mess even doing it like that. The 2016 requires you to reach in from the wheel well and put the wrench on the filter. You cannot access it from straight below. The problem though, is not wrenching the filter but getting the god damn thing out once it is loose without dumping a quart of dirty ass oil all over everything in sight including your drive way. It even sucks doing it on a four post lift. Luckily it has some pretty lengthy oil change intervals but I am still thinking I want to convert it to remote filters.

It was a very shitty design mistake by Dodge on my truck and there is no way in hell I would buy this fucking Ranger and do an oil change in my driveway.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

After doing oil changes on the MarkVIII's that were my daily drivers for 9 years I would be happy to do a simple tire take off to change the oil. Sounds much easier to get to the filter than those things were.
                      Last edited by slow84lx; 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo
                        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

it looks like a decently quick truck from the test drive video's i've seen but it is a ugly truck and design looks a little outdated

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                            it looks like a decently quick truck from the test drive video's i've seen but it is a ugly truck and design looks a little outdated

It is outdated. That design has been sold everywhere else in the world, but here, since 2015. The actual platform has been around since 2011. The biggest change, for the US market, was that Ecoboost 4banger.

Speculation is that the reason we aren't getting the Ranger Raptor is because the Ranger will be due for a redesign in a couple of years. But I'm not totally buying that because the Raptor was only released in Asia a year ago.

As for the oil change thing. It's not a big deal at all since the vast majority of people don't change their oil. It's sad but true that those of us that like turning wrenches are in the very very small minority.

Comment

if you think the Ranger is outdated, im pretty sure the Tacoma is the exact same frame in 2019 as it rolled out in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                              X