I have a picture dilemna.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a picture dilemna.

I need to find out the location of a picture that was sent to me via cellphones. It is a Model T truck that my dad is interested in, but the middle man has jacked up the price from his original quote.

I would like to see if we can go straight to the owner in order to do the deal directly.

This pic has been forwarded once, and I'm not sure if the phone that took the picture is even capable of giving that type of info in the file.

How do I find out what I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Download exiftool to obtain the gps coordinates (if there are any) then go from there.

A command-line application and Perl library for reading and writing EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, makernotes and other meta information in image, audio and video files. For Windows, MacOS, and Unix systems.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Well, I downloaded it, but I believe the info I'm seeking is non existent.

Do I need to download this to my Iphone? I sent the pic to my photobucket, then saved it to my computer, and drug the file to the download. Is that the right procedure?

Comment

Unzip the file to your desktop.

Drag the photo onto the exiftool(-k).exe icon on your desktop.

The GPS coordinates (if any), will be listed towards the bottom of all of the text.

Comment

I should have looked for an app sooner. Then I would have realized that I need to update my software when I was at home.

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
            Unzip the file to your desktop.

Drag the photo onto the exiftool(-k).exe icon on your desktop.

The GPS coordinates (if any), will be listed towards the bottom of all of the text.
            I unzipped it, but left it in a window. I was able to drag the file to it and see some stuff, but gps coordinates weren't there. I'll re-do it and see if I get a better result.

Comment

Wtf? Pics have gps tags now?
              Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Here's a screenshot of what I wind up with. I'm still going to get the app and see if I get any better luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                  Wtf? Pics have gps tags now?
                  Dude, I'm far from tech savvy and I can say this is old news.

Comment

You won't have better results. Photo was either taken on a non-smartphone or on a digital camera more than likely. There's a way to disable all of the exif data, but most are unaware of the data even being there in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
                      You won't have better results. Photo was either taken on a non-smartphone or on a digital camera more than likely. There's a way to disable all of the exif data, but most are unaware of the data even being there in the first place.
                      I'm pretty sure this middle man isn't smart enough to take a digital camera, then send it to my friend's cell phone. My buddy was surprised that he even had a camera phone, as well as being able to send a pic message.

Comment

Working...
                      X