Is there a such thing as a Christian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a such thing as a Christian?

What is a true Christian nowadays? All I ever see is the "I think Christian but do otherwise" type. Here are a couple things I have noticed about "Christians". You have people who go to church twice on every Sunday and Wednesday nights but go to the bar on Friday and Saturday, most go to church hungover on Sunday mornings. Most curse and use God's name in vain. Those are the usual Christians I encounter on a daily basis.

In several places in the Bible it states, "Judge not, that you be not judged." Every Christian judges, I don't care who you are or who you think you are. How many times does everyone make fun of someone due to their disability, looks, religion, class, age, or annual income? Will you let a child molester and thief babysit your child at home? Are you good friends with a serial killer? Would you marry someone whom works on Harry Hines? You wouldn't but you judged those people for your and your family's safety. People who call themselves Christians and sin everyday, what do you do? Do you pray and ask for forgiveness every time you sin or hope to remember to be forgiven in church?

That is a couple of many observations I have noticed about so called Christians and not going to type all of them at this time. So my question, is there a such thing as a Christian or is it just a myth because it can't be proven either way?

Hmmm... last time I checked, Christians were just as imperfect as anyone else. The only difference is that they recognize it and know what they need to do about it.

We are not saved by our actions or inactions, rather our faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may inherit Salvation. Nothing WE can do about it, other than accept Him and His sacrifice.

Christian = a believer in Jesus Christ's Message and acceptance of Him as Savior for all.

Not a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by slostang281 View Post
      What is a true Christian nowadays? All I ever see is the "I think Christian but do otherwise" type. Here are a couple things I have noticed about "Christians". You have people who go to church twice on every Sunday and Wednesday nights but go to the bar on Friday and Saturday, most go to church hungover on Sunday mornings. Most curse and use God's name in vain. Those are the usual Christians I encounter on a daily basis.

In several places in the Bible it states, "Judge not, that you be not judged." Every Christian judges, I don't care who you are or who you think you are. How many times does everyone make fun of someone due to their disability, looks, religion, class, age, or annual income? Will you let a child molester and thief babysit your child at home? Are you good friends with a serial killer? Would you marry someone whom works on Harry Hines? You wouldn't but you judged those people for your and your family's safety. People who call themselves Christians and sin everyday, what do you do? Do you pray and ask for forgiveness every time you sin or hope to remember to be forgiven in church?

That is a couple of many observations I have noticed about so called Christians and not going to type all of them at this time. So my question, is there a such thing as a Christian or is it just a myth because it can't be proven either way?
      Are you, yourself, not making gross judgemental statements in those which I bolded?

"most go to church hungover...." and "everyone make fun of someone....."

Really????

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        Are you, yourself, not making gross judgemental statements in those which I bolded?

Really????
        A couple of things. 1) I have yet to come across a single person who hasn't made fun of someone at some point, so yes, that part of his statement would be true, in my opinion. 2) I will agree with you that him saying most go to church hungover is a bit of a stretch, but each person's experiences are different.

OP, Christians are some of the most judgmental people you'll come across, in general. Those that are unwilling to accept the actions of other people tend to source their hatred back to the bible, as it's the great big book of multiple choice. You can make the bible say anything you want it to. While I don't think that anyone on the boards here hold this view, there are some "christians" that would see members of other religions, or people that lack a religion dead, solely on religious views.

But yes, a large portion of christians are holier than thou, and hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          A couple of things. 1) I have yet to come across a single person who hasn't made fun of someone at some point, so yes, that part of his statement would be true, in my opinion. 2) I will agree with you that him saying most go to church hungover is a bit of a stretch, but each person's experiences are different.

OP, Christians are some of the most judgmental people you'll come across, in general. Those that are unwilling to accept the actions of other people tend to source their hatred back to the bible, as it's the great big book of multiple choice. You can make the bible say anything you want it to. While I don't think that anyone on the boards here hold this view, there are some "christians" that would see members of other religions, or people that lack a religion dead, solely on religious views.

There are likely quite a few individuals, a least mature ones that is, who do not make fun of anyone due to their disability, looks, religion, class, age, or annual income.

Many of the most holier than thou individuals, when it comes to religions, are those who claim not to believe in them. Note many of the stereotypical opinions stated on this board regarding, for instance, Islam and Muslims. Beyond religions, look at many of the stereotypical opinions stated on this board regarding race and nationalities. Are self-professed Christians making these remarks?

Comment

There are likely quite a few individuals, a least mature ones that is, who do not make fun of anyone due to their disability, looks, religion, class, age, or annual income.

Many of the most holier than thou individuals, when it comes to religions, are those who claim not to believe in them. Note many of the stereotypical opinions stated on this board regarding, for instance, Islam and Muslims. Beyond religions, look at many of the stereotypical opinions stated on this board regarding race and nationalities. Are self-professed Christians making these remarks?
            Do you read who posts a lot of the stuff regarding muslims and islam? And that's not even touching the topic of homosexuality.

Comment

Christian = TheHead. The rest of it is all fairytale make believe stuff.

Comment

Do you read who posts a lot of the stuff regarding muslims and islam? And that's not even touching the topic of homosexuality.
                Go to the Back Porch and you'll see a lot of posting about each. That's essentially just a BS forum anyway so I doubt many of the opinions posted therein.

Speaking for myself, I'm completely tolerant of both.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    Hmmm... last time I checked, Christians were just as imperfect as anyone else. The only difference is that they recognize it and know what they need to do about it.

We are not saved by our actions or inactions, rather our faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may inherit Salvation. Nothing WE can do about it, other than accept Him and His sacrifice.

Christian = a believer in Jesus Christ's Message and acceptance of Him as Savior for all.

Not a myth.
                    You're saying a person can steal money from family and friends, do missions overseas and all over the US soil just for the money and not worry about spreading God's word and be forgiven for their sins if they recognize it? Sounds like you are saying a Christian can do whatever they please to do as long as they recognize it. Why do you believe Christianity is real? There is no proof of it whether it is real or not. You just have to believe in it just like a kid has to believe Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy; they're real unto the kid gets older and realizes they're not real and they disappear since the parents don't see any fun in it after the kid doesn't believe in the childish things anymore. Probably not the greatest example but you get the picture.

Really????
                    Yes I am making judgmental statements, I will be the first person to say that; therefore I am forgiven, correct? I was raised in a Christian family and went to church all my childhood life until I decided I didn't want to go anymore. There is so many things in the Bible I wish not to believe, a lot of it doesn't make since and contradicts itself.

The "most going to church hungover" is probably a stretch but a lot of people do, especially the younger group. With you saying people make the Bible say anything they want to, I am starting to believe that. I am seeing that more and more of that happening everyday. It's seems people think whatever they want and are as good as gold according to Jesus Christ and The Lord as long as they have a Bible and go to church. I will have to agree with you on a large portion of Christians are holier than thou and hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      Apparently you care enough to do some research on a Family Guy clip and post. So please, do the Christian thing and post your view on it instead of posting a retarded clip. May God bless you.

Comment

Yes I am making judgmental statements, I will be the first person to say that; therefore I am forgiven, correct? I was raised in a Christian family and went to church all my childhood life until I decided I didn't want to go anymore. There is so many things in the Bible I wish not to believe, a lot of it doesn't make since and contradicts itself.
                        You are indeed forgiven if you confess same to Jesus Christ and pledge to not continue in such behavior. Regarding the Bible, I do not choose which parts to believe and which not to. By my understanding, it either is the Word of God in it's entirety (which I believe), or it is not.

Originally posted by slostang281
                        Apparently you care enough to do some research on a Family Guy clip and post.
                        Touche'

Comment

You're saying a person can steal money from family and friends, do missions overseas and all over the US soil just for the money and not worry about spreading God's word and be forgiven for their sins if they recognize it? Sounds like you are saying a Christian can do whatever they please to do as long as they recognize it. Why do you believe Christianity is real? There is no proof of it whether it is real or not. You just have to believe in it just like a kid has to believe Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy; they're real unto the kid gets older and realizes they're not real and they disappear since the parents don't see any fun in it after the kid doesn't believe in the childish things anymore. Probably not the greatest example but you get the picture.

The "most going to church hungover" is probably a stretch but a lot of people do, especially the younger group. With you saying people make the Bible say anything they want to, I am starting to believe that. I am seeing that more and more of that happening everyday. It's seems people think whatever they want and are as good as gold according to Jesus Christ and The Lord as long as they have a Bible and go to church. I will have to agree with you on a large portion of Christians are holier than thou and hypocritical.
                          Well, you either obviously didn't read my post, didn't comprehend what I typed or just trying to make an argument about it. Christians know they fall short of God's expectations and know they NEED to have Jesus as their Savior. They know that there is no way to be perfect in God's eyes other than to be forgiven because God not only forgives, but forgets.

As far as being judgemental and hypocritical, once again, you're missing it (we'll leave out racrguy since he's just a shit-starter on the subject and just looking for an argument). I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that you're actually looking for answers and not just trying to get a debate going.

Most people look at Christians as being hypocritical because they do as much bad shit as anyone else. It's called being human. There is no way any of us can go without sinning. If we were sinless, we wouldn't need Christ. We just know what we need.

As far as being judgemental, that's another part of being human. Most Christian haters focus more on Christians' actions than anyone else, so oh well. But if you're talking about them saying something like, "If you don't repent and accept Jesus, you'll go to hell." then that's not being judgemental, rather letting you know the truth. Not to force it on you, but put it out there for you and letting you make your own decision what to do from there.

Sorry if that offends you, but I really don't care. It is what it is.

Comment

You are indeed forgiven if you confess same to Jesus Christ and pledge to not continue in such behavior. Regarding the Bible, I do not choose which parts to believe and which not to. By my understanding, it either is the Word of God in it's entirety (which I believe), or it is not.

Touche'
                            I know what you're saying, a true Christian will believe the Bible word for word. I hope I don't offend anyone with the way I see the Bible since it does not make any sense to me in a lot of areas and I can never find any straight answers without being frowned upon and hear devoted Christians say I am going to hell.

I haven't read this in a long time but if my memory serves me right, Adam was made from dirt. Eve was made from Adam's rib, which will be the same DNA as Adam. The two lovebirds have multiple children and so on, wouldn't this be incest which is frowned upon today? This is one of the many things I don't really believe in the Bible and I hope I don't offend anyone because I can't understand that.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            Well, you either obviously didn't read my post, didn't comprehend what I typed or just trying to make an argument about it. Christians know they fall short of God's expectations and know they NEED to have Jesus as their Savior. They know that there is no way to be perfect in God's eyes other than to be forgiven because God not only forgives, but forgets.

As far as being judgemental and hypocritical, once again, you're missing it (we'll leave out racrguy since he's just a shit-starter on the subject and just looking for an argument). I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that you're actually looking for answers and not just trying to get a debate going.

Most people look at Christians as being hypocritical because they do as much bad shit as anyone else. It's called being human. There is no way any of us can go without sinning. If we were sinless, we wouldn't need Christ. We just know what we need.

As far as being judgemental, that's another part of being human. Most Christian haters focus more on Christians' actions than anyone else, so oh well. But if you're talking about them saying something like, "If you don't repent and accept Jesus, you'll go to hell." then that's not being judgemental, rather letting you know the truth. Not to force it on you, but put it out there for you and letting you make your own decision what to do from there.

Sorry if that offends you, but I really don't care. It is what it is.
                            Well, you didn't offend me I am not trying to start an arguement with anyone. There a lot of things I don't understand and have not found the answers other than because the Bible told me so. As you know the Bible is confusing to most people and cannot understand some of it, it seems people take what they read and make their own beliefs because they don't understand it or don't care to.

You are correct about people hating on Christians due to their actions and their beliefs. Christians do the same to people who believe but don't understand several things about the Bible. I have been to several churches in my short life and when I didn't understand something or wasn't sure with what was preached that day, the preacher and other Christians have told me I am the Anti-Christ and trying to turn everyone against God. Their actions and statements toward me are very unchristian and really makes me wonder what to believe since I don't write a check for a thousand dollars and put it in the plate every time I went to church.

Comment

Shit like that is why I take issue with many churches. Obviouly, the "popular Christian churches" would rather not have me around and vice versa. My "religion" is nothing more than my personal relationship with God. Anything more to that, like these certain denominations' certain rituals, rules, etc. do nothing more than take away from God. I know many Christians hate to hear that from me, but they can go pound dirt for all I care. Christianity should be nothing more than each person's personal relationship with God. If one truly goes by what Christ says, He completely dissolved the common structure of the Israelites' religious/political structure by making Himself everyone's High Priest, thus making the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Sanhedrin obsolite since they were basically screwing it all up by the time He got there.

I could see church as a way for fellow believers to fellowship, discuss THEIR beliefs and help others understand and network to spread God's love and message- even through missions and community outreaches... NOT to instill rules and rituals.

Comment

Working...
                              X