X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Displays Crucified Santa on Courthouse Lawn

County Displays Crucified Santa on Courthouse Lawn

Dec 6, 2011

A Christmas display outside the courthouse in Leesburg, VA featuring Santa Claus crucified on a cross was torn down by an angry resident in spite of arguments by elected leaders that the display was Constitutionally-protected free speech.

“I am shocked that the county would allow such a thing as a crucified Santa on the courthouse lawn,” Elizabeth McGuirk, a mother of three told Leesburg Today. She it would “seriously disturb my children.”

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK

“Disgusting, outrageous and absurd,” Supervisor-elect Ken Reid told MyFoxDC.com. “This fellow crossed the line. I’m worried about kids seeing this at the parade Saturday.

The display was erected by Jeff Heflin, whose application was submitted and approved by the Loudon County Board of Supervisors.

“The county would not dismantle it, the county gave it permission for it to be there,” Supervisor Steven Miller told the local newspaper. “We had the same thing happen a year ago when Ed Myers put up some vulgar parody lyrics of the “Twelve Days of Christmas.” Well those came down within an hour and that’s vigilantes.”

The Loudon Times reported that Heflin described his display as “art work of Santa on a cross to depict society’s materialistic obsessions and addictions and how it is killing the peace, love, joy and kindness that is supposed to be prevalent during the holiday season.”

“It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists. “I agree. It is over commercialized. People should keep their hands off the display, all the displays.”

The display was torn down by an unidentified local resident, according to the Loudon County Sheriff’s Dept. So far, no one has been arrested.

Gisela Bresler wrote a letter to the county leaders condemning the exhibit, calling it a mockery that dishonors the Christian religion.

“As I was coming to the Courthouse this morning, I was confronted by one of the most repulsive and disgusting displays of the misuse or our free speech that I have ever had the misfortune to witness,” Bresler wrote in a letter published in the Loudon Times. “In front of the Old Courthouse building there is a display of a cross with a Santa suit draped over it and the Santa has a skull for a face.”

“Perhaps the person or organization that displayed this monstrosity wants to make a point that Christmas is dead, or that Christ is dead,” the letter continued. “The point is that free speech is a two-way street. It is fine for whoever decided to display this obnoxious thing to have it displayed, but it is also correct for those who are insulted by it to speak against it. I am, therefore condemning this and I am repulsed by the fact of it.”

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

American christmas needs more Krampus. And it's horseshit that some chicken tore it down. Speak against it, sure. But destruction is over the line.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      American christmas needs more Krampus. And it's horseshit that some chicken tore it down. Speak against it, sure. But destruction is over the line.
      You can't be serious? By putting a Santa on a crucifix, they are killing Christmas. Not my Christmas, but every child's Christmas. You want your kid seeing a dead Santa? That's pretty morbid. I'm not a parent or even religous and I would've torn that shit down in a second. There is a good message there, but it's an innapropriate way to express it in a public forum. So it falls under the "freedom to destroy shitty art" clause in the bill of rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        You can't be serious? By putting a Santa on a crucifix, they are killing Christmas. Not my Christmas, but every child's Christmas. You want your kid seeing a dead Santa? That's pretty morbid. I'm not a parent or even religous and I would've torn that shit down in a second. There is a good message there, but it's an innapropriate way to express it in a public forum. So it falls under the "freedom to destroy shitty art" clause in the bill of rights.
        It's kind of like walking around and telling kids that Santa Claus isn't real. Is it your right to do it? Sure. But if you tell my kid that I'm going to tear your god damn face off and have it for dinner.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Lol Exactly.

It makes a childs' mind collateral damage to your agenda. I get the message, but they won't, and they'll interpret it 1,000 different ways.

Have santa with his big ass bag of ipads and twilight dvd's stepping on a crucifix, or landing his sleigh on the godammed three wise men. Limit the blood and gore, trade a little provacativeness for subtlety and maybe even humor, and your shit won't end up in the recycle bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            It's kind of like walking around and telling kids that Santa Claus isn't real. Is it your right to do it? Sure. But if you tell my kid that I'm going to tear your god damn face off and have it for dinner.

lmgdao!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Lol Exactly.

It makes a childs' mind collateral damage to your agenda. I get the message, but they won't, and they'll interpret it 1,000 different ways.

Have santa with his big ass bag of ipads and twilight dvd's stepping on a crucifix, or landing his sleigh on the godammed three wise men. Limit the blood and gore, trade a little provacativeness for subtlety and maybe even humor, and your shit won't end up in the recycle bin.
              I would have gotten behind that one

Comment

Have I mentioned lately that you're a nutbag?
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I think it's awesome someone sacked up and tore that shit down.
                  Vortex rear stand $75
                  8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                  My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                  11 4 door
                  13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Notice I'm not advocating the message, just the right/wrong aspect of it being shown. If your kids can't handle it, maybe you should teach them that not everyone agrees with your particular ideals.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Have I mentioned lately that you're a nutbag?
                    I'm the nutbag, ok. Whatever you say. Considering the source, I'd go as far as saying you're the crazy one, but it's all good.

Comment

Notice I'm not advocating the message, just the right/wrong aspect of it being shown. If your kids can't handle it, maybe you should teach them that not everyone agrees with your particular ideals.
                      Any reasonable parent does teach their kids that. You can't really think its a good idea for 4 year olds to see a Santa on a crucifix. Yeah. That makes all kinds of sense.

I'm the nutbag, ok. Whatever you say. Considering the source, I'd go as far as saying you're the crazy one, but it's all good.

Yeah, because I'm always saying irrational stuff, like making jokes about dead cops and a laundry list of other things youve done recently. Right. You got it.

You're just being a dumbass about this because you agree with the message. It's not even that I disagree with it. It's that it's inappropriate. Period. It's a fantastic idea to traumatize kids by this. Sound logic. Stupid ass.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        Any reasonable parent does teach their kids that. You can't really think its a good idea for 4 year olds to see a Santa on a crucifix. Yeah. That makes all kinds of sense.

Yeah, because I'm always saying irrational stuff. Right. You got it.

You're just being a dumbass about this because you agree with the message. It's not even that I disagree with it. It's that it's inappropriate. Period. It's a fantastic idea to traumatized kids by this. Sound logic. Stupid ass.
                        No, I'm not saying you're always saying irrational stuff, just that you have some irrational thoughts. I do not agree with the style that this was done in. I too think it was done in poor taste. I will agree that christmas has become over commercialized, but I don't know of very many, if any, that disagree with that. Instead of tearing it down, how about going through the proper channels and voicing your opposition instead of barbarically removing it. There's a way to civilly handle things, and there is a way not to. Kids will be traumatized? Not to sound like a complete ass, but if you wouldn't lie to them, there'd be no traumatization. Just sayin'

Comment

Yes because a crucified skeletal santa isn't traumatizing to children. At all.

Comment

Young kids not traumatized or at least disturbed by a display like that? Seriously?

Whether they believe in Santa or not (which I prefer to think of as a tradition, although you're correct it's technically lying) - I'd be disturbed by a young kid who did not have a negative reaction to something like that.

Even if you don't play the Santa game with your kids, it SHOULD be disturbing to see something they still think is neat - as would some if not all of their friends.

You make zero sense to me racrguy. Do you have kids?
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                              I think it's awesome someone sacked up and tore that shit down.
                              Agreed.

From the article:
                              “It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists. “I agree. It is over commercialized. People should keep their hands off the display, all the displays.”

If this enlightened Mr. Weintraub feels so strongly about the issue, why doesn't he get his happy ass out there and personally keep people's hands off the displays instead of only talking?

Comment

Working...
                              X