Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft bill

You know what? Do it.

Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) on Wednesday morning renewed his call for a mandatory military draft to ensure that the demands of the U.S. armed forces are not met only by lower-income Americans who are more likely to join the military to earn a paycheck.

Rangel spoke on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor bombing, and after Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) lauded the actions of U.S. troops in Afghanistan who are working to protect Afghans from terrorist elements within that country. Rangel said he was moved by Kinzinger's remarks, but said the burden that the U.S. military bears must be borne by all.

"If America is going to take this position, all Americans should be prepared to make the sacrifices as the gentleman before me has," Rangel said after Kinzinger spoke. "It's abundantly clear that everybody does not assume the same sacrifices, whether we're talking about taxes or loss of life.

"I submit that we have to have a draft … not a plea for those people who for economic reasons have to protect themselves," Rangel added.

A draft, he said, would ensure that all Americans participate in decisions to go to war, not just those who "for economic reasons find themselves in communities with the highest, the very highest unemployment."

Rangel recounted how his brother volunteered for the military before World War II, and that he volunteered before the Korean War broke out. He said he was motivated to join in large part because his family needed the money.

"I would like to walk away saying how patriotic we both were, but really what motivated me was the excitement my mother would get in receiving a check for my older brother," Rangel said.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Wouldn't go over any better than it did during Vietnam and probably much worse.

Comment

We don't need a bunch of fucks in the military that don't want to be there. Just tell Rangel to quit avoiding taxes.

Comment

I fully agree that EVERY AMERICAN needs to serve in one of the Forces.
        If you quit HS, gotta do minimum 3 years military.
        If you graduate, time to go do your time.
        If you're college bound, get your degree and then do you do a few years.

Comment

This would be a horrible idea honestly. Hell we have those who want out as it is now. Things would be a hell of a lot worse if everyone had to be in the military.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

This guy proposes a draft.

Meanwhile the Navy is putting out thousands just this year. I've seen a good amount of good performing people put out because of PTS (perform to serve), they are requiring all navy members e-6 and below with less than 14 years to do it. Basically it's just a program that your info gets put into and then a computer tells you that you are to be separated on such and such date. Pretty shitty if you ask me.
            04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
            There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

I personally don't like the idea of taking a chance on dying for a bunch of powerful elitist who think it's my job to die for them.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                I personally don't like the idea of taking a chance on dying for a bunch of powerful elitist who think it's my job to die for them.
                One of those, "I owe this guy a beer" posts.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                  I personally don't like the idea of people like you who want all the freedoms and opportunities America offers, yet you're unwilling to put your ass on the line to protect those very freedoms.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
                    I personally don't like the idea of people like you who want all the freedoms and opportunities America offers, yet you're unwilling to put your ass on the line to protect those very freedoms.
                    So every military engagement that we participate in is in protection of our freedoms? That's a fairly absolute implication.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                      So every military engagement that we participate in is in protection of our freedoms? That's a fairly absolute implication.
                      I'd venture a guess that the last military engagement we were involved in that protected our freedoms was WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        If not directly, then yes, indirectly.
                        And evidently you also are missing the point.

Comment

You sound very ignorant on this subject, no offense.

Comment

Don't think for a second I am unwilling to die for my country, freedom and what it right. I'd take a bullet to the head or quickly put a bullet in someone else's before I let someone try to take that from me (including any US citizen or agent). What I refuse to do is to do it for the wrong reasons. These assholes making decisions to send our guys to war to "protect our freedoms" couldn't give a rats ass about the soldiers or their families. They've proven it by their attitudes and the way they treat them when they come home. If you don't like it, then OH WELL, tough. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Comment

The only thing jeopardizing our freedoms is our own country and the people running it, nothing our men and women overseas are fighting for. Most of them understand that. If we force people to serve, then the "freedom" battle was lost just by this.

Comment

Working...
                              X