Air Force dumped remains of 274 troops in landfill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force dumped remains of 274 troops in landfill

I support and love our military servicemen and women, but those it charge, suck!

Air Force dumped remains of 274 troops in landfill

The incinerated partial remains of at least 274 American troops were dumped in a Virginia landfill, according to government records, The Washington Post reported on Thursday.

Air Force officials said that the dumping was hidden from families who had given authorization for the remains to be disposed of in a respectful and dignified manner, according to the newspaper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were no plans to inform families, officials told the newspaper.

New information revealed that the practice, exposed by The Washington Post in November, had become very widespread until it was halted in 2008, the newspaper reported.

Last month, Pentagon and Air Force officials said that figuring out how many remains were sent to the King George County, Va., landfill would take combing through the records of more than 6,300 troops.
    Full story in the Washington Post: Air Force dumped more ashes than acknowledged

"It would require a massive effort and time to recall records and research individually," Jo Ann Rooney, the Pentagon's acting undersecretary for personnel, said in a Nov. 22 letter to Rep. Rush Holt (Dem.-N.J.), who has pressured the Pentagon for information on the issue on behalf of one of his constituents, according to the newspaper.

Holt reacted angrily to the news, the newspaper reported.

"What the hell?" he told the Post. "We spent millions, tens of millions, to find any trace of soldiers killed, and they're concerned about a 'massive' effort to go back and pull out the files and find out how many soldiers were disrespected this way?"

"They just don't want to ask questions or look very hard," he added, according to the newspaper.

•Video: Panetta orders review of Dover morgue
    According to records the military gave The Post, between 2003 and 2008, 976 fragments from 274 personnel were cremated, incinerated and dumped in the landfill. An additional 1,762 remains, which could not be DNA tested because of damage from explosions, were gathered from the battlefield and dumped in a similar manner, the Air Force told the newspaper.

The widow of an Army sergeant killed in Iraq told the newspaper she was furious when she was told how some of her husband's remains were dumped in the landfill.

"They have known that they were doing something disgusting, and they were doing everything they could to keep it from us," Gari-Lynn Smith told the newspaper. She had been pressing the military for information on the subject for four years — ever since she got a report on her husband's autopsy and learned that some of the remains had not been put in the casket for his funeral, according to The Post.

Changes in disposal policies came about after an in-depth review at Dover was ordered in 2008 by then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates

An additional 1,762 remains, which could not be DNA tested because of damage from explosions
    I don't buy this one bit.
    2 Chronicles 7:14
    If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Several heads need to roll on this.

Dump the ashes in the ocean if need be...but the dump? Jeez...
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
      Several heads need to roll on this.

Dump the ashes in the ocean if need be...but the dump? Jeez...
      Yeah, we can be nice to Bin Laden to not offend anyone, but f' our own. Even if just bits and pieces of their body, it's the principle of the matter.

I'm sure of at least 1 person who will say there is no difference in dumping in the a dump vs the ocean. I don't give a damn. Dumping in a dump is disrespectful.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The way things were going right before I got out - I am not surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          yeah, we can be nice to some middle easterner's body to not offend anyone, but f' our own. Even if just bits and pieces of their body, it's the principle of the matter.

I'm sure of at least 1 person who will say there is no difference in dumping in the a dump vs the ocean. I don't give a damn. Dumping in a dump is disrespectful.
          fixed
          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

Everyone is so concerned with politics it almost a case of "lets keep everyone else happy but secretly fuck our own".

Fuck the others and protect our own is the mentality I think we have lost over the decades. I am sure that we did not care in WW1,2 the Korean War, Vietnam as you can tell from the stories and footage. Where did we go wrong?
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Everyone is misunderstanding what was done here and the story is written in a way to be deliberately misleading.

When someone is blown to bits on the battle field there are a lot of chunks to pick up. The largest chunk is the torso that is covered in armor and it is easily identified. The extra shit that is blow all over the inside of a HMMWV after an IED hit is mixed with pieces from other people and is impossible to ID. Instead of dividing it all up evenly amongst the victims of an attack it is simply disposed of in the same manner organic medical waste ( an amputated limb for example) is disposed of.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Wow.. It completely amazes me that anyone would ever think that was a good / reasonable solution.

Comment

Everyone who signed off on this should be charged with fucking with remains and put in Levenworth telling the inmates exactly what they did
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                      Everyone is misunderstanding what was done here and the story is written in a way to be deliberately misleading.
                      No, I generally understood that and I also understand where the thought process is coming from - I disagree.

Comment

No, I generally understood that and I also understand where the thought process is coming from - I disagree.

What they did is normal and while the details of what is done may change a bit the practice never will change. The only reason a big deal is being made about it is because some reporter wrote an inflammatory article about it and the peak of a reporters carrier is writing something that will destroy someone else; especially a military someone else. Medicine can be very messy at times and end of life can be even messier, doubly so when bombs are involved.

Should they have saved everything in freezer bags and sent one to each family? Look in the "special" dumpster behind Parkland and you will see much worse on a daily basis.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Should they have saved everything in freezer bags and sent one to each family? Look in the "special" dumpster behind Parkland and you will see much worse on a daily basis.
                          Again, just to clarify I get what you're saying.

After thinking on it - if it's clearly what you say - just basically human sludge left over - there is not much more that can be done really.

However, if it is significant parts - unidentified - I'd rather not see them in a dump after incineration. I'd rather a collection, small ceremony and disposed of at sea, in forests...whatever. Just not a dump.

I can see how from your point of view, I may seem extreme on that though.
                          Last edited by ceyko; 12-09-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

What they did is normal and while the details of what is done may change a bit the practice never will change. The only reason a big deal is being made about it is because some reporter wrote an inflammatory article about it and the peak of a reporters carrier is writing something that will destroy someone else; especially a military someone else. Medicine can be very messy at times and end of life can be even messier, doubly so when bombs are involved.

It should disposed of at sea or some where. Not thrown out like trash, whether it was identified or not its some one who was serving the country. How would you like if a family member passed and they scattered their asses at a landfill?

Again, just to clarify I get what you're saying.

After thinking on it - if it's clearly what you say - just basically human sludge left over - there is not much more that can be done really.

However, if it is significant parts - unidentified - I'd rather not see them in a dump after incineration. I'd rather a collection, small ceremony and disposed of at see, in forests...whatever. Just not a dump.

I can see how from your point of view, I may seem extreme on that though.
                            Its just disrespectful, we know it was one of ours. Dump them at sea. Burry it, dont toss it out like yesterdays trash.

Comment

Whos responsible for this? Who made the call that said "It costs $500 more to fly out to the sea so just throw them in the dump"? Who was that?

Comment

Working...
                              X