Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks like a fun project.

Comment

Picked up an NP271 this morning. I also tore down the bad NV4500 so we could have empty case to use for fitting the motor.

Comment

The engine mounts arrived. My Dad is going to Long Star Roundup in Austin but hopefully Sunday we can get the motor in the chassis.

Comment

We got the motor, trans, and transfer case in the chassis this evening.

Its in a bad spot to get a good image but I will post some when we push it back out to fit the cab and bed.

Comment

We hope to finish the cab and front clip mounts this weekend.

Comment

That is going to be pretty kick ass!

Comment

I've always wanted to take something like that and fab up a crew cab. 2 cabs grafted would be pretty slick.

Comment

IH actually contracted another company to build extended and crew cab version of some of the later trucks. I dont really like them but interesting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                    IH actually contracted another company to build extended and crew cab version of some of the later trucks. I dont really like them but interesting for sure.
                    60s/70's, right? They have a definite Forestry Service feel to them.

Comment

I think you are right on the years for the crew cabs. The extended may have been in some of the even earlier ones.

We are likely going to move the cab some. I feel like a forward axle position is ok on lifted stuff but we may be at the extreme of what looks acceptable with the fender shape on this truck. The bent fender corner does make it looks worse but still I think its too much. Moving it would also help with the amount of front frame exposed which I dont really like. Opinions?

Last edited by NoClassic; 04-16-2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Yes on the move forward. It is close, but might as well do it right.

Comment

I had come to the same conclusion after looking at it more.

We will have to drill out the rivets and move the ford mid chassis/rear cab crossmember forward a few inches. The exhaust manifold will hit the firewall but just a small dimple should get it to clear.

I think I am going to lift the body another inch as well. I had the trans top plate off when fitting everything today. With it back on thing are tight enough that we will need to come up some more.

Comment

We have both been busy the last couple weekends so not much progress.

We did get the cab moved forward along with the mid chassis crossmember. Its still not perfectly centered but without major firewall modification its the best we can do. Still going to have to clearance for the exhaust manifold in this position.

This morning we got the bed on the chassis so we can start on its mounts. It is just resting on the frame in this image and needs to be leveled

Comment

fucking dope

I love the utility body
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Did not like it at first but its grown on me. I wish the boxes came off like on some of the newer ones. This thing was not fun to get up on to a chassis this tall.

Comment

Working...
                                X