DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Picture and Video Post Forum

Picture and Video Post Forum Amusing and Photoshopped Pics.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #241
4bangen
©4bangen©

MAN how the heck did i miss checking this thread and not know there was a show in Denton?
What's it take to enter something into one of these shows? Next time there's one in Denton let me know. I'd love to throw something together for it.
4bangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #242
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
MAN how the heck did i miss checking this thread and not know there was a show in Denton?
What's it take to enter something into one of these shows? Next time there's one in Denton let me know. I'd love to throw something together for it.
I almost messaged you on Facebook to let you know. Sorry! As far as entry, just show up with your stuff and pay the entry fee! This one was a little different, they pushed everyone to register on-line, to help streamline getting everyone set up and organized.

As I mentioned, there was a good bit of disorganization. A lot of my builds didn't end up with the rest of their class, mainly because I was late to arrive, however, it caused some confusion with judging! I'm hopeful they have some of the kinks worked out next year, and maybe a different date. It is tough to hit scalefest and this show back to back. It will be a game time decision next year if I attend. It really isn't my crowd, from a build style/subject stand point.

The next one I'm going to is in Houston on July 20th. I'm hoping to have the pro stock done, as well as a Ford GT painted McLaren Volcano Orange. (I know, don't bash me for not going purist with the color, the theme for the show is orange)
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #243
4bangen
©4bangen©

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
I almost messaged you on Facebook to let you know. Sorry! As far as entry, just show up with your stuff and pay the entry fee! This one was a little different, they pushed everyone to register on-line, to help streamline getting everyone set up and organized.

As I mentioned, there was a good bit of disorganization. A lot of my builds didn't end up with the rest of their class, mainly because I was late to arrive, however, it caused some confusion with judging! I'm hopeful they have some of the kinks worked out next year, and maybe a different date. It is tough to hit scalefest and this show back to back. It will be a game time decision next year if I attend. It really isn't my crowd, from a build style/subject stand point.

The next one I'm going to is in Houston on July 20th. I'm hoping to have the pro stock done, as well as a Ford GT painted McLaren Volcano Orange. (I know, don't bash me for not going purist with the color, the theme for the show is orange)
Can't wait to see your pictures. Funny enough I've randomly found about 6-7 kits hiding in the hobby room and my closet that I did't sell you. So I can still be in the hobby enough to have some fun now and then without spending any money. I just need to replace all my paints.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #244
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I had to replace almost all og my paint when I started building again. That was expensive!

Wild Bills in Irving was bought out and they are clearancing inventory, if you happen over that way. I've had half a mind to go buy all of their kits

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #245
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Aaaaaand, I'm at the point of no return. It gets built or it gets trashed!

2 more cuts and the front clip will be separate as well.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #246
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Some chassis work today. Support rods for the front clip are installed. They will get some bracing eventually. Wheel tubs are covered in CF decal. The trans tunnel will get the same treatment. Once all of the bars and decals are done, I'll give it all several coats of 2 part automotive clear.

The CF is probably not correct for a car that would have ran in 1999, but it will help it pop on the contest tables.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #247
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I couldn't wait and had to start on some decals last night. Opening the doors and cutting things apart presents some challenges! I had to cut the decal along the door line. This car was originally black with a white to blue fade on the front end. I'm not sure if I will do the fade on the front, but I painted it a steel color kind of as a superman man of steel scheme. I will be doing my top fuel car and sprint car the same way.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #248
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I got all of the decals on the Superman car. I'm going for a "Man of Steel" theme. I was also able to finish up the CF on the trans tunnel. There are a couple of flaws that will be covered with other details.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #249
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Can anyone spot the upcoming fox body greatness?

A round of clear shot on the Superman car and the chassis. Once the clear cures, I'll smooth it out and re-shoot. The Chassis still needs some clear on the bottom. That Carbon Fiber decal REALLY pops once cleared!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #250
line-em-up
N Memory of Mike 12/27/14

I figured ya'll might enjoy this.

line-em-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #251
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

So, because I have modeler's ADD. I now have 3 different builds going. The pro stock, a Ford GT, and a '66 Suburban.

First up, the '66 Suburban. I'm calling it leather and lace. This is my first time spraying anything like what I have on the roof panel. Still trying to decide what I'm doing on the center 2 panels. Part of me wants to leave it, part of me wants to do filagree, and what will likely happen is I will turn the lace around for the scallops to help hide the over spray from mis masking :|

Either way, enjoy.

Next is the Ford GT. A Tamiya kit, great detail, but lacking in some areas. I'm trying desperately to find a PE set, but they are out of stock everywhere. PE is photo etch that will give me mesh in all of the grille areas instead of molded plastic. The theme for the show in Houston is orange, so, I painted it McLaren Volcano Orange. The orange needs some touch up but it is looking pretty sexy!

And of course you have all seen the Pro Stock. I need some "basic" builds going with the super detailed stuff so I don't burn out!

I hit an emotional dilema last night, I got an offer on Ebay for my Lambo for $150, which just about doubles the cost of materials to build it. I loved building that thing and people gravitated towards it. Above that, though, I planned to take it to Houston. So I countered with a "contingent upon shipping 7/22" clause. Stay tuned.

Last edited by black2002ls; 06-29-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #252
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
VIP Member

That suburban is fucking badass! I wish you'd do a straight up lowrider car or van!
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #253
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
That suburban is fucking badass! I wish you'd do a straight up lowrider car or van!
I may do one, one day! This paint work has been fun!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #254
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I got the center panel corrected. A little wet sanding and a lesson learned. These createx colors bleed/wash out when exposed to water. They may not have been fully cured, but it caused some issues. I attempted a few other techniques in the center panel, both were less than successful. I attempted to mask some flames but my tapework was not stellar on such a small surface. I also attempted to use some tulle for a criss cross pattern. It was semi successful and can still be seen a bit in the final paint.

Next up is the main body. You can really see the flake in the Lambo color on the body. It is going to be pretty sweet once it is all polished out! Gold wheels, LS9 engine, now I need to decide on an interior color.

Finally, a little GT action.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #255
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

A quick little mock up on the burban. I'm thinking light tan for the interior.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #256
4bangen
©4bangen©

looking good man. It still surprises me that people buy built plastic models. To me it's like buying a used condom, the fun parts already done!
But for real, your painting skills are out of this world.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #257
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
looking good man. It still surprises me that people buy built plastic models. To me it's like buying a used condom, the fun parts already done!
But for real, your painting skills are out of this world.
I get 2 types of buyers, collectors/enthusiasts, or re-builders.

The re-builders suck, because they want a deal, lol. Those go for $10-30 depending on the availability of the kit. If a build is significantly flawed from a "sitting on the shelf" stand point, I'm OK with it though. Some, however, go on ebay for something that I would imagine no one would pay, but isn't realistic, and either sits until a collector finds it or I lower the price incrementally until it draws some interest.

Collectors and enthusiasts are usually 1:1 collectors or people with die-cast collections looking to fill a void in what is available in die-cast (usually race car types). My biggest sale so far has been the NASCAR at $650. My Lambo is boxed up and will go out today after settling at $160. Which, shows me that there are buyers out there willing to pay a fair amount if the build is of good quality.

If I take my time into account, I lose money on every one of them, however, that isn't the point. The point is that I enjoy the build more so than having them sit on the shelf. Now, I will keep some along the way. The Green F100 I am keeping, as that was built for my wife. If I kind of want to keep one, it goes on ebay for a high price, like the Lambo at $199. If someone offers close and I make some $$, GONE. I can always build another! This keeps $$ in my hobby account so that I am not spending much out of my pocket to enjoy it. So far, most of my builds go for $30-50 on ebay, though most of them have been basic box stock builds with quality paint work, which brings up another point.

There are a lot of guys who just paint bodies. I have been approached by a few people at contests about painting for them. Though, this poses a moral dilemma, painting for someone who may enter their builds in a contest. I don't necessarily want to be attached to that, or knowingly help someone with a contest build like that. I know, my builds could be entered in contests, however, they are posted all over the internet, and I have a bit of a reputation. So, there is a good chance, someone is going to see it and recognize it. Either at the show, or post show coverage.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #258
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Well, I finally got fed up with spending hours polishing these things! Working on the hood of the 'burban, I leveled the clear with 3000 grit trizact foam pad/paper. As I was polishing, I found my dreaded microscratches from the paper. So I said eff it, proke out the 'burban roof and my Ford GT and decided I would completely change how I spray my clear. I cranked the pressure up to 35 PSI (from 20 PSI) and reduced the clear. I spray advantage 545 and the mix is 4:1, clear to hardener. I mixed it up 4:1:1, clear:hardener:reducer. Overall I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. I may drop the pressure to 30 PSI on the next one to try and help with puddling and pushing the clear around as I'm spraying such small surfaces.

Other than a few dust particles in the clear, it is damn smooth, even after it has cured! Hopefully I can get a great shine and depth with polish only now!

Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #259
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I spent the morning working on the pro stock car. I was able to knock out a lot of little details...literally.

The switch box has aluminum toggle switches with photo etched bases. (Photo etched base is basically a very thin, tiny, metal washer.
Struts are modified kit pieces. The engine is coming together. I've got an oil tank ordered and should be here mid week. Once it arrives, I can finish up the oil system and think about permanently mounting the engine. 13 days to finish for Houston. Hopefully I can finish this and the Ford GT.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #260
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

I shifted gears this afternoon/evening to decal work. My carbon fiber decal set for the Ford GT showed up today. If I had to guess there are 200 or more individual decals in this set!

Tags
can u paint nay white?, he has svo work ethic, igetpussy, juvenile fo sho, nay huff paint&shit pants, nay likes gay hooker rape, nay steal ur cars, nay trying to get cock, svo has 2172 model, trained by svo, try getting pussy