Title question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title question

So I have a car I was given by my grandfather many years ago. Long story short, it blew up while driving home from picking it up, and sat in my garage ever since. I never got around to having the title put in my name, I just tossed it in my filing cabinet and forgot about it. Fast forward to right now. I have a buyer for the car and as I pulled the title out I noticed my grandpa put my name on the section for the buyer. Do I have to have the title put in my name then sell it to the new guy, or can he use this title? also it has an old address for me. I should have done this many years ago, but out of sight out of mind and stuff.

Maybe this is as sign I should keep it. lol

It may be less of a hassle just to have him file for a bonded title. In Arkansas it’s about a $100 bond depending on the value of the car.

Comment

Can you ask your grandfather to file for a lost title then he can sign it over to the buyer? If not, you can always register it to get one in your name then sell it... but would be a PITA.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Easier for your grandpa or whomever has power of attorney to just get another title and then show it as him selling it to the guy.

Comment

I don't want to get my grandpa involved, don't really want him to know I'm selling it (his health isn't great nor is my grandma's). Don't want to upset him. I don't really want to sell it, but storing it is a bitch. It's a big car. I'd give it back to him but he recently sold his other Buick, he doesn't have the money or ability to work on cars anymore.
          I think I'm just going to have to go get the title in my name, and pay the taxes. then if the guy still wants it and has the money I'll go from there.

Comment

You should just be able to sign it over.. I did it in the past and never had an issue
            Originally posted by Da Prez
            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Did he date it? If not your golden just go switch it over. If he did date it you will have to get him to fill out a form for mistakes made on a title to avoid late fees

Comment

Hopefully he didn't date it. I believe the penalty is $25 a month after 30 days with a max of $250

Comment

He didn't date it. Thank got, that was in 2005. lol

Comment

Easy, date it today and take cash. Sign state form 130U as your grandpa, deal done.

Comment

You have two options here. You can transfer it into your name, or you're going to have to go get a statement of fact from your courthouse and get your grandpa to sign it, saying that the car was not sold to you at that time. There is a specific part on the statement of fact for this very purpose.

Your buyer cannot transfer it any other way, they can't cross it out. Also, make sure the printed names are EXACTLY as it's shown on the title. Texas got real funny about this a few years back.

Comment

So if I read this right, you have a title in your grandpa's name, your name is in the BUYER field, and it is not dated, Correct?

If so,

Like stated above, take the title to the tax office with the 130U form and mark the GIFT box, pay the $5 gift fee and $30 title transfer fee and put it in your name.

Unfortunately, your buyer will have to wait a week or two for the new title to come in.

Comment

Statement of fact doesn't work for Texas titles anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                            As far as I know it still works.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                              I think he’s meaning an affit davit, I had to do one because the seller info was wrong on my Dakota a couple years back.. since the title isn’t dated, I’d just date it recently and do a title only.. I’m pretty sure the “gift tax” requires a notary now days
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X