Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy your manual control cars. The car world is changing fast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as the self driving cars don't develop an addiction to social media and texting, the roads will be safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      The sensors are not nearly as stupid has human eyes. Even the current renditions run Lidar and/or Radar...so a mirror will just look like a wall.

There are certainly going to be some challenges (see Tesla) and itll be a few decades at least before its widespread...but yall are fantasizing about problems that have already been solved to an extent.
      I have a 1960's vintage ECM pod from an F4 called an ALQ-71 that I bet could not just jam any radar put onto an autonomous car but could also completely wipe-out out all of its on board electronics in a fraction of a second.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        The sensors are not nearly as stupid has human eyes. Even the current renditions run Lidar and/or Radar...so a mirror will just look like a wall.

There are certainly going to be some challenges (see Tesla) and itll be a few decades at least before its widespread...but yall are fantasizing about problems that have already been solved to an extent.
        I've been behind the wheel of a Tesla 3 while using autopilot. I'd trust it over most of the dumb fucks currently on the highway.

While it did a great job navigating itself from 287 to I35W southbound, and then exited Meacham. I had it set for 78MPH's.

Comment

I drove a Mercedes-Benz S 63 home a couple nights ago. Going over a bridge transitioning from I35 N. to 121 let go of the steering wheel and the car followed the road until it straightened out and continued only warning me to put my hands back on the steering wheel. Later I tested the active lane keep assist and it worked flawlessly when I let it drift from the fast lane over into the shoulder.

These cars can already do so much more than we allow them to do, I do believe this autonomous driving vehicle scenario is going to come much sooner than we think or hope!

Thanks

Comment

There are already lidar based truly autonomous vehicles on the road now. The commercial stuff is awesome but not even close to the real autonomous stuff.

Comment

Ol' Musky thinks you don't need no lidar.

Comment

I'm slowly turning into Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

Get off my lawn!

None of my cars are connected to anything other than FM radio. I kinda like it that way.
                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

I don't think the autonomous car thing will happen until much later and the subscription thing is nonsense.

First, sales of cars are getting killed already because they are too expensive. All this fancy shit just drives the cost even higher. Look at units sold over the last decade. Look at used car prices. Look at average loan length. People can't afford the junk that is already for sale.

Secondly, I think the subscription thing borders on absolute fantasy. Subscribing to own a car now is absurdly expensive and I can't see how it gets all that much cheaper given the logistics side of it. Having these cars driving around constantly to pick people up and take them places means they will be piles of shit just like a taxi in short order. What happens when someone shits in it and sends it to the next stop? No one is going to pay for that. Not for long any way. "Here Chrysler... take my money so I can ride around in some urine soaked car with 500k miles on it."

"Mom, I called the car service to go to prom and someone had wiped their ass on the seat...". Guys like SVO will have a field day.

The subscription idea reminds me of the pay to ride bikes and electric scooters that are all over Dallas right now. The idea works great as long as the company that runs it lives in a world where it never has to turn a profit and where there is a bubble in venture capital that provides them an endless supply of capital to burn. Car companies have not lived in that world since the 1920s and will not be going back there any time soon.

Third, stop and think about what happens during evacuation for a natural disaster. Or some other event where everyone needs to go somewhere at the same time. How would people even leave a Dallas Cowboys game if this was the norm?

Lastly, autonomy will happen when one day we have flying or hovering cars or whatever Buck Rogers type shit someone comes up. They will have to be autonomous because the average person will never be able to fly one without being killed due to their lack of attention. The piloting systems will have to be absolutely idiot proof in order for such a thing to make sense.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    Also try to imagine what would happen once hackers get into the self-driving cars operating systems.
                    You could prevent any hacking by not having any connection other than hardwire. No wifi capability, you gotta plug in a cable to make any changes. I like the idea of no wifi, because that means no updating the company all the time on stuff that ain't none of their business. The car could have cameras on the inside, and the outside, which would tell you exactly when the person was shot and maybe who shot them, if they weren't wearing a mask. It could also have bio sensors and just stop and call an ambulance.

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    You just made my point. Think about 30 to 40 of them trying to get off of the road at the same time and the ones following up not knowing to stop to avoid damage.
                    None of that is any real problem. They can all talk to each other and coordinate, its all down to programming. Which may take em a time or two to get right, sure. But eventually they'll run out of variables they didn't plan for and you'll be hard pressed to find a problem with the self driving cars.

Instead of the cluster fuck that would be with 40 people driving them, it could all look beautifully choreographed.
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      You could prevent any hacking by not having any connection other than hardwire. No wifi capability, you gotta plug in a cable to make any changes. I like the idea of no wifi, because that means no updating the company all the time on stuff that ain't none of their business. The car could have cameras on the inside, and the outside, which would tell you exactly when the person was shot and maybe who shot them, if they weren't wearing a mask. It could also have bio sensors and just stop and call an ambulance.

None of that is any real problem. They can all talk to each other and coordinate, its all down to programming. Which may take em a time or two to get right, sure. But eventually they'll run out of variables they didn't plan for and you'll be hard pressed to find a problem with the self driving cars.

Instead of the cluster fuck that would be with 40 people driving them, it could all look beautifully choreographed.
                      Did you just seriously say no WiFi, all hard wired then in the next paragraph talk about them communicating with eachother? I guess you can toss out ether net cables to all the cars around you.
                      Originally posted by Marisa
                      we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                        Did you just seriously say no WiFi, all hard wired then in the next paragraph talk about them communicating with eachother? I guess you can toss out ether net cables to all the cars around you.

Ever heard of bluetooth? Or any other weak signal that will only work for 20 meters or so?

The cars can communicate with each other if there's some kind of accident (like 40 of them strangely getting flat tires at once) and if they're outside of the range then they were never a problem to begin with cause they've got enough space of their own. If they come in range, well now they start talking to the other cars, and the whole thing will be coordinated to minimize the inconvenience to other cars that don't have flats and that are just trying to continue down the road.

Yeah, sure you could get some guy who wanted to come get close enough to the cars in order to hack them. But it would cut out the rest of the whole world being able to hack them.
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Ever heard of bluetooth? Or any other weak signal that will only work for 20 meters or so?

The cars can communicate with each other if there's some kind of accident (like 40 of them strangely getting flat tires at once) and if they're outside of the range then they were never a problem to begin with cause they've got enough space of their own. If they come in range, well now they start talking to the other cars, and the whole thing will be coordinated to minimize the inconvenience to other cars that don't have flats and that are just trying to continue down the road.

Yeah, sure you could get some guy who wanted to come get close enough to the cars in order to hack them. But it would cut out the rest of the whole world being able to hack them.
                          how do you propose these cars without any communication get dispatched?
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Why would we need autonomous cars when the same technology will work on a moped or even an electric bike?

Check out Ford's patent #20180111540 on what they think the future might be.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              Why would we need autonomous cars when the same technology will work on a moped or even an electric bike?

Check out Ford's patent #20180111540 on what they think the future might be.
                              Lol man when you are in a bridge role between product development and research, you patent everything...even if it's a stupid idea that you know you will never make. At least half of my patents are things that we didnt want to make...but wanted to prevent others from making to compete with the leading innovation that we patented.

Companies also use patent filings as a metric...so not encourages business managers and engineers to apply for things that may be less than ideal just to hit a number

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                how do you propose these cars without any communication get dispatched?
                                Well if you're the owner of the car that won't be a problem. If you're talking about fleets of taxi cabs or something, it could be done albeit at some inconvenience. You could set them to go to certain areas and wait for fares. People walk to the bus station now, these could be even closer.
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X