No announcement yet.

Popcorn ceilings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did one room it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. Had to mud a couple of spots after i sanded it to make it truly flat. I have a giant knife made for scraping popcorn ceilings( 30") and a sprayer if you want to borrow them.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      Damn didn't even think about that. What did it take to get removed?
      Removal was literally get under it and scrape it off. Total beat-down. Our master bedroom took me around 8 hours (13x16 with a vaulted ceiling and soffit center border) to remove, then another 4 to re-tape/bed edges as well as repair some damaged Sheetrock. Then I re-textured and painted. Probably a good 18 hours total.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        Removal was literally get under it and scrape it off. Total beat-down. Our master bedroom took me around 8 hours (13x16 with a vaulted ceiling and soffit center border) to remove, then another 4 to re-tape/bed edges as well as repair some damaged Sheetrock. Then I re-textured and painted. Probably a good 18 hours total.
        I understand why people don't like popcorn ceilings, but fuck all that work. That doesn't seem worth it to me.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I half-assed it. I did as mentioned previously, but I just used a 8" taping knife to knock off most of it. I primed and painted over it so it still has a texture that is a little rougher than orange peel. I would say that getting it consistent is a little hard, but I figured it out after the first room. Knowing how much work it could have been if I wanted to get rid of it completely, I am happy with my results.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            I understand why people don't like popcorn ceilings, but fuck all that work. That doesn't seem worth it to me.
            When you have updated the rest of the house, 5" base, fresh paint, granite counters, the popcorn has got to go!
            Originally posted by Mike K View Post
            I half-assed it. I did as mentioned previously, but I just used a 8" taping knife to knock off most of it. I primed and painted over it so it still has a texture that is a little rougher than orange peel. I would say that getting it consistent is a little hard, but I figured it out after the first room. Knowing how much work it could have been if I wanted to get rid of it completely, I am happy with my results.
            We have some friends that did it this way. Do you have a picture? I think I am going to go this route first and see how the end result is. I have been wondering if I could break outsome drywall sanding screens and even everything out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I did it this way too. I didn't have to deal with any wet mess and it looked great after repainting.

I didn't have any uniformity issues, but my house was only a few years old when I did it, so that might have helped.

Comment

Mine were easy as shit to get rid of. Just prep properly with plastic on the floor. A lot less work than scraping it when dry.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  We have some friends that did it this way. Do you have a picture? I think I am going to go this route first and see how the end result is. I have been wondering if I could break outcome drywall sanding screens and even everything out.
                  I don't have any pictures specifically of the popcorn before and after, but of the room as a whole. If you want me to snap a couple of the popcorn now I can. I actually have a few more rooms to do.

Comment

I don't have any pictures specifically of the popcorn before and after, but of the room as a whole. If you want me to snap a couple of the popcorn now I can. I actually have a few more rooms to do.

Are those after scraping?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      Are those after scraping?

First is before, second is after with primer and paint on the ceiling. It is a semi-gloss paint, so it will reflect more light than just the regular ol' popcorn ceiling.

Comment

First is before, second is after with primer and paint on the ceiling. It is a semi-gloss paint, so it will reflect more light than just the regular ol' popcorn ceiling.
                        Cool, thanks. I was planning on flat paint on the ceiling, I think that will help minimize the light reflecting off of the rough surface

Comment

Well, I decided to scrape the popcorn off of the ceiling in the Nursery today.

Befonre:

Halfway through:

From the other side of the room:

And the finished product:

I wish I had done this before we did the flooring before we moved in. It makes a huge difference. The room seems brighter. It is a little inconsistent but the texture throughout the house is inconsistent from years of drywall patches and texture repairs

Comment

I still need to paint it. Once that is done, it should make a huge difference

Comment

Working...
                            X