Tire Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Noise

My 2001 Ranger - if I do tire rotations every 5K all is good, but if I go over that it starts to develop a lot of tire noise, typically when above 40MPH. About a year & half ago I moved it up to 16" wheels & got new tires. Since the wheels have 2 that are bright silver, and 2 that are argent, I have rotated front to rear only to keep each color on one side (not mixed). But after the last rotation, the noise came back in about 2 weeks, and it's LOUD on warm days.

If I rotate left to right- which changes the direction of rotation - will that get rid of my tire noise?

Yes
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

It may, or make it worse. Depends on their condition. Stop buying such cheapass tires.

Comment

Have you tried jacking it up and executing your initial plan?

Comment

Go look at each individual tread block on the tires and notice the difference in height from front to back, that's what causes the noise. So yes rotation should and or will fix it.

Comment

Well an X pattern rotation got rid of 90% of the tire noise

Comment

I rode with a "sound tech" once in a Fusion. He kept complaining about a noise. It is a tire noise I told him. It changed with pavement and loading. I just wanted to tell him him... It is a Fusion.....
              Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Newer Honda Accords and Pilots are very loud inside. I have done major sound deadener in 3 of them and the customers bought no audio gear.
                Last edited by EW; 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM.

Comment

How much psi do you keep in them?

Comment

My Passat tdi is alot louder with the Pirellis I put on 8k miles ago that the factory Continentals. I should have gone Michelin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                      Newer Honda Accords and Pilots are very loud inside. I have done major sound deadener in 3 of them and the customers bought no audio gear.
                      My wife's '06 Accord is one of the best vehicles we've owned, hands down...

but holy shit @ the road noise!!!
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        My wife's '06 Accord is one of the best vehicles we've owned, hands down...

but holy shit @ the road noise!!!
                        Same here. I drive the wife's old 2008 Accord for work and good god damn the road noise is annoying.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

What kind of tires are they?

Comment

Noise is back after 3 days of near quiet. Ughh... I just aired up the tires to 38psi to try to get them to quiet down. Tires are Champiro VP1 235/60/16 with about 13K miles. Truck has 180K miles, I rebuilt the front suspension about 30K miles ago. The tires now have 6/32 tread remaining, appear to be wearing evenly, and no visible cupping. If you steer 20 degrees to the left, the noise goes away, on center, you have tire noise, turn 20 degrees to the right and it gets LOUDER.

Now I will say this truck has tended to cup the outside shoulder of the front tires since new- 15 years ago. It's not visible to the eye, but you can feel it with your hands. But rotations every 5K miles had usually kept the noise at bay. Although twice in the past, years ago - I actually replaced wheels bearings, the noise was so bad - and both times it wasn't the problem!

Comment

Champiro? Cheap tires tend to have the most road noise

On my Hondas the tire brand greatly reduced any road noise. Paying $86 a tire for good Michelins was tough when you could get a full set of four for $260 installed at walmart, but the Michelins were always dead silent

Comment

Working...
                              X