No announcement yet.

Would you buy a rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work for Enterprise like 12 years ago. We used to sell all our cars with 30k miles back to the dealerships. Long story short a huge chunk of pre-owned cars are former rental cars. I found out after working there. Most people think used cars for sale are from people trading them in to get a newer vehicle but most of the time that's far from the truth. Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, Dollar... All those make up the inventory.

Comment

Hell no.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I used to say no myself, but I have bought two now. In 09 we bought an 08 hhr for my mom. It was a rental and had 24k miles on it. I got it after she passed in 11 and use it to commute to work and it just rolled over 200k. Only issues with it were the throttle body was replaced by a dealership while still under warranty, and I had to replace the VVT actuators and EVAP solenoid this year.

Last December we bought the wife a 2016 Journey that was a rental with 19k on it, it actually came with a service history from the rental place, and was certified pre-owned. So far no issues with it and it just hit 39k.
        92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
          NEVER EVER BUY A RENTAL, PERIOD. Use them where I work, last car I got hadn't had the oil changed in 15k miles. They never take care of them, run the hell out of em.
          This. No fucking way I would buy one.

Comment

Nope, seen too many horror stories. Also heard some funny stories from the shops that repair them when they are in accidents.
            1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
            1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
            2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Based on how I've driven rentals...heck no
              Originally posted by Da Prez
              Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
              Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                Based on how I've driven rentals...heck no
                This right here.

Not that I took them to the track and I abused them, but WOT and hard on the brakes since it wasn't mine was normal when driving the rental.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I ran the carfax on it (thanks David) and it has good service history...but as I kept searching, I found others I liked more.

Found a hell of a deal in a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer with ONLY 76,000 miles. One owner, carfax shows excellent history, typically only saw 3-4,000 miles a year for the past 8 years. Looking at the photos it is immaculate. Not my first choice in color. But for under $9k, and even over what KBB shows for our area, it is still a great deal. The fact that it has such few miles is a huge turn on for me.

My 2002 F150 has 140,000 on it and we bought it 10 years ago at 90,000. So at that rate, only 5,000 miles a year, this new 2003 Expedition starting at 75,000 will last a lifetime.

The other's I am looking at are 2013-14 models and all have 90-110,000 miles for $18-20,000. There is a 2013 Expedition EL that I really love. Black/black, completely loaded, looks sharp, ut it has 110,000 miles, not as clean a carfax history (no accidents, just spotty service) and is over twice what the 2003 is.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Carfax normally won’t show a lot of stuff on rentals as most of the damage claims (additional coverage etc) are handled in house.. but if damage is over a certain percentage of the cars value, they will send to auction with damage..
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                      Found a hell of a deal in a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer with ONLY 76,000 miles.

That would be heck of deal, my mom had an 03 EB Expedition, sold it to a family friend around that mileage back in 08 and he drove it to 200k with virtually no issues and then gave it to his grandson who is still driving it.

Comment

I saw how Adam (threefingerpete) drove rentals back in the day.. No thanks!

Comment

Dealers like to use the words --Lease returns

I bought a 2005 Just off lease lol in 2012 put 100,000 miles on it so far been good car , I do the basic stuff to take care of it but, its my work car

In 2013 I got hailed on hard, got a check for what I paid for it less about 15% so I will drive it till it drops

Comment

My wife's last 2 vehicles were rentals. One was an 08 fusion, bought with 40k sold it with 170k no major issues with it. Typical maintenance stuff and a set of front struts but that's it. Just traded her 14 escape in, bought with 19k traded at 130k, we had 0 issues with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X