DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Tech

Tech Automotive Tech, Ford, Chevy, if it's tech, it's in here.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Memo
Lifer

Default Add power steering in 67 coupe?

What's the cheapest way to add power steering to a 1967 Coupe? The wife likes to drive it but has a hard time parking it. It has a 302. Oh and who can do it for me? Been too busy these days and don't have the time.
Memo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Scott Mc
Outcast

Put the IFS DJ put on his. Best bang for your buck.
Scott Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Scott beat me to it.

the long answer is that the factory steering is pretty horrible, and the power portion was worse. I added up what it would cost of rebuild the steering (already power) on my 69 and it was a few hundred away from buying the AJE kit. I already had brakes and spindles, so that was a factor, plus i was going to need ball joints and bushings to rebuild the stock front suspension.

The power rack and pinion kits arent very good options, for the cost.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
BLAKE
Lifer

There is another option, especially if your existing steering is in good shape already.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...-ever-eps.html

That is a monster of a thread, and it has some twists and turns, but a lot of people are going this route these days. Essentially, it's grafting an electronic power assist unit from a Saturn Vue or Prius into the lower part of the steering column.

Takes some fabrication, but you don't have to mess with leaky and expensive hydraulic systems, and while plenty of people are happy with their rack & pinion systems, that is also a hack, most of which use GM Cavalier racks as a base and suffer from poor turning radius.

Also, I would argue against the assertion that the factory system is horrible. In good working condition, there's nothing wrong with it. Though I would agree that the factory power steering is a bit of a mess. I'd rather run manual (and I do) than that leaky PITA.

I'm sure some racks are fine, but for the cost, I'm going to be doing this EPAS solution.
BLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
homealone
Still got nothing

I am not up to full speed on the Saturn electric conversion but my brother is looking into it on my old 66 and it seems to be a good idea.

Another popular option is a power gear box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...skoc/overview/
homealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
There is another option, especially if your existing steering is in good shape already.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...-ever-eps.html

That is a monster of a thread, and it has some twists and turns, but a lot of people are going this route these days. Essentially, it's grafting an electronic power assist unit from a Saturn Vue or Prius into the lower part of the steering column.

Takes some fabrication, but you don't have to mess with leaky and expensive hydraulic systems, and while plenty of people are happy with their rack & pinion systems, that is also a hack, most of which use GM Cavalier racks as a base and suffer from poor turning radius.

Also, I would argue against the assertion that the factory system is horrible. In good working condition, there's nothing wrong with it. Though I would agree that the factory power steering is a bit of a mess. I'd rather run manual (and I do) than that leaky PITA.

I'm sure some racks are fine, but for the cost, I'm going to be doing this EPAS solution.
the problem with the classic mustang community is that a majority of the owners live with piss poor handling and performance for no reason, other than "that's what people do".
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
I am not up to full speed on the Saturn electric conversion but my brother is looking into it on my old 66 and it seems to be a good idea.

Another popular option is a power gear box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...skoc/overview/
that looks like a reasonable option.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
BLAKE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
the problem with the classic mustang community is that a majority of the owners live with piss poor handling and performance for no reason, other than "that's what people do".
There is definitely something to that, but I believe that is offset equally by the psychology of "I spent $X,XXX on this mod therefore it it has to be amazing and 11billion times better than stock".

From my own personal experience, my stock manual steering is in good shape and I feel like it handles great, let alone "horrible". I just wish parking lots were a little easier to manage, but a little extra muscle while parking is worth the trade off for good performance at speed. If I can do the EPAS thing and have the best of both worlds, so much the better.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Quote:
There is definitely something to that, but I believe that is offset equally by the psychology of "I spent $X,XXX on this mod therefore it it has to be amazing and 11billion times better than stock".

From my own personal experience, my stock manual steering is in good shape and I feel like it handles great, let alone "horrible". I just wish parking lots were a little easier to manage, but a little extra muscle while parking is worth the trade off for good performance at speed. If I can do the EPAS thing and have the best of both worlds, so much the better.
would you consider it similar, better or worse than a fox, as far as steering goes?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
BLAKE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
would you consider it similar, better or worse than a fox, as far as steering goes?
Interesting question. I'll have to say I'm not qualified to answer that though. I have a total of about 5 minutes seat time driving a fox.

My assumption would be that the Fox would be better, simply because it's newer, and that there's still room for improvement in a Fox.

My point isn't that stock 60's steering is God's gift to engineering, but rather in good shape with good suspension mods (most importantly including the Shelby/Arning drop) and some good tires, the stock system isn't junk.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
garycrist
garycrist

I saw this somewhere...

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-3213...ng-cougar.html
garycrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
BLAKE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycrist View Post
Huh. Never heard of that one before. It's a nice idea. I wonder how it works.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
cool cat
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycrist View Post
$2,245 at Summit Racing.
cool cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
BLAKE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post
$2,245 at Summit Racing.
Woof
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
4EyedTurd
Lifer

Good points on buying shit that might help. Any clue on how to tell if shit actually helps? I asked a question about swapping C4 Vette front suspension into a 60’s Chevy but need to research if you can make a 60’s belair halfass handle.
4EyedTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #16
Scott Mc
Outcast

Quote:
Interesting question. I'll have to say I'm not qualified to answer that though. I have a total of about 5 minutes seat time driving a fox.

My assumption would be that the Fox would be better, simply because it's newer, and that there's still room for improvement in a Fox.

My point isn't that stock 60's steering is God's gift to engineering, but rather in good shape with good suspension mods (most importantly including the Shelby/Arning drop) and some good tires, the stock system isn't junk.

Playing devils advocate here, but I do have to say that even with a lower bushing currently out on my Bird, I can still one finger drive it with ease. Even when abusing the car. I did scare myself a little exiting Murphy drive in Bedford the other day in the rain, I got reminded what a 4 plus K car will do and not do in that situation. In all honesty if whatever you put under it is solid then it will work. FYI on the leaky garbage, it did take me 5 pumps to get a non leaking one for the power steering pump which was fun finding each time. If you go stock I recommend scavenging junk yards for OEM rebuildable parts, a lot of these new repop parts are complete garbage.
Scott Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 AM   #17
Gasser64
Lifer

There are some cars out there that have electric power steering now. The odds might be slim, but maybe a junkyard piece could be somehow adapted.

The way I understand it, its "assist" and not full power steering. Just makes it a lot easier to operate, but you can still feel that its not super easy like regular power steering is. The wife's car has it. I've come to prefer it over regular old power steering.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
garycrist
garycrist

I worked on those things when they were new.
P.S. on Mustang, Mavidicks and the rest were sorry,
with lines hanging all over the place.
If you want to keep and drive it, spend some bucks
and do it right!
garycrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
Torinoman
when I get around to it

If you don't want to hack in an electric setup and don't wanna deal with the crummy factory setups, Borgeson makes a replacement PS box. I think all you need to do is shorten the steering column a bit.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=60

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2
Torinoman is offline   Reply With Quote