New Tesla roadster does 0 to 100 in 4.2 sec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
    If you're looking at nature I'd say a much better example is the sun/stars. Which allowed for fossil fuels to even exist in the first place. And energy can be taken from the sun via solar panels. I'm not saying we know how to make excellent use of it yet via cheap solar panels that are very efficient (yet) but I'd still say the sun is something way better to try and emulate or use than fossil fuels. Which will be gone at some point.

It seems like lots of people just don't want to face facts. The time of fossil fuels is coming to a close. Obviously not immediately, but there is definitely more time behind fossil fuel than it has ahead. Nothing lasts forever, and the heyday of fossil fuels isn't going to be somehow immune to this. It had a good run. Which isn't over yet, but if it were a person it would be elderly.
    It's awesome when you think about it. We are in the middle of a revolution in the automotive and energy sectors. We also get to catch the final conventional horsepower battles in the end of the Petro era. Granted the Teslas have a massive amount of power as well.

Comment

If you're looking at nature I'd say a much better example is the sun/stars. Which allowed for fossil fuels to even exist in the first place. And energy can be taken from the sun via solar panels. I'm not saying we know how to make excellent use of it yet via cheap solar panels that are very efficient (yet) but I'd still say the sun is something way better to try and emulate or use than fossil fuels. Which will be gone at some point.

It seems like lots of people just don't want to face facts. The time of fossil fuels is coming to a close. Obviously not immediately, but there is definitely more time behind fossil fuel than it has ahead. Nothing lasts forever, and the heyday of fossil fuels isn't going to be somehow immune to this. It had a good run. Which isn't over yet, but if it were a person it would be elderly.
      Do you know the difference between a battery and an engine? A battery stores energy while an engine produces heat. A star is a type engine.

If you manage to crank out a kid or two I can promise you that your grand kids will still be using fossil fuels of some sort unless politics force a stop to their use.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        If you manage to crank out a kid or two I can promise you that your grand kids will still be using fossil fuels of some sort unless politics force a stop to their use.
        Sure. They make excellent plastics.

But I wouldn't bet on it. This happens. Do you dare to look into it?

* item 10 - An array of parallel Casimir Channels with conducting strips* item 22 - A pump for providing gas through the tunnels* item 24 - something to

Its pretty much accepted that its there. Its like the force. Its all around us at all times. How long until someone manages to tap it? When they finally do, you can kiss your battery argument goodbye. Along with batteries.
        Last edited by Gasser64; 11-19-2017, 11:00 PM.
        WH

Comment

Sure. They make excellent plastics.

But I wouldn't bet on it. This happens. Do you dare to look into it?

* item 10 - An array of parallel Casimir Channels with conducting strips* item 22 - A pump for providing gas through the tunnels* item 24 - something to

Its pretty much accepted that its there. Its like the force. Its all around us at all times. How long until someone manages to tap it? When they finally do, you can kiss your battery argument goodbye. Along with batteries.
          Do I need to post the articles from the 1960s that all said that fusion generators will be in everyone's homes by the 80s?

I was talking about using it as a fuel to move things or to make electricity. Even if every car on the road started running on tap water tomorrow morning in 20 years we will be bringing more fossil fuels out of the ground then we are doing today.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I think its a lot more likely that they'll tap something that is just already there, everywhere. No matter where you go in the universe, its there. Waiting. As opposed to dealing with all the issues that would come with the fusion generator. Looking at it objectively, there's just no comparison. Kick fusion generators to the curb.
            WH

Comment

I think its a lot more likely that they'll tap something that is just already there, everywhere. No matter where you go in the universe, its there. Waiting. As opposed to dealing with all the issues that would come with the fusion generator. Looking at it objectively, there's just no comparison. Kick fusion generators to the curb.
              My point is that wishful thinking is pervasive and equally delusional. Are fusion generators and free zero point energy possible? Maybe they are but they are both very, very unlikely.

Comment

Bob Lutz predicts Tesla will go out of business next year.

Former General Motors vice chairman Bob Lutz has never been one to mince words about Tesla Motors. But the outspoken auto industry vet took things a step further last week, predicting Tesla could fail by 2019.
                In an interview with CNBC, Lutz labeled Tesla as a "losing enterprise" that might not make it beyond next year. "The company, folks, is going out of business. At this rate they'll never get to 2019," he said.

Lutz argues that Tesla is "hemorrhaging cash" at an unsustainable rate. To his point, Tesla posted a $619 million loss during Q3 of 2017, representing the company's largest ever quarterly loss. Tesla has never been profitable on an annual basis.

Lutz also questions Tesla's technological leadership in electric vehicles. "There is no secret sauce in Tesla. They use the same lithium-ion batteries as everybody else." Lutz even went as far as to state that General Motors is actually ahead of Tesla in terms of battery-capability-per-dollar.

Despite those concerns, Tesla continues to be the darling of Wall Street, with share prices up by more than 100 percent over the last year. At this point it looks as though Tesla might be too big to fail, but we won't have to wait long to see if Lutz's prediction actually comes to fruition.

Comment

Today while be driven around in a foreign country I realized something. You know how many electric cars I've seen outside the US...... zero. Care to figure out why?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    Today while be driven around in a foreign country I realized something. You know how many electric cars I've seen outside the US...... zero. Care to figure out why?
                    There are plenty in western Europe. First world is leading the charge on EV's. No surprise there.

For example, Teslas are the #1 selling car in Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      There are plenty in western Europe. First world is leading the charge on EV's. No surprise there.

For example, Teslas are the #1 selling car in Norway.
                      Only because people love their "free shit"

"While Californians seem to be ordering Tesla cars at a nice rate, Norwegians really can't get them quick enough. Norway's unique government subsidized car market makes the Model S especially appealing: Norwegian owners of electric cars are provided with free parking, free charging at stations throughout the country, use of express highway lanes and exemption from toll fares. On the other hand, large taxes are levied on those that choose to buy gas-guzzlers, so the migration to EV cars makes sense for the citizenry, even at the higher-than-U.S. cost."
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

My point is that wishful thinking is pervasive and equally delusional.
                        Something that is getting grants and being researched isn't really wishful thinking. Its in development. I'm not saying where or when it will appear, but its far from "delusional".
                        WH

Comment

Do I need to post the articles from the 1960s that all said that fusion generators will be in everyone's homes by the 80s?
                          We'll all be flying in nuclear-reactor-powered aircraft!!

(NB-36H, if you care)
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            We'll all be flying in nuclear-reactor-powered aircraft!!
                            And so will the boats and submarines.

The perception of nuclear power being dangerous is because the greenies agenda, and rights fear of losing their donor money from the oil companies. China has made tremendous advances in nuclear power since they don't have those issues

Comment

Something that is getting grants and being researched isn't really wishful thinking. Its in development. I'm not saying where or when it will appear, but its far from "delusional".
                              This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen written down. You have very obviously never been around working academics. My brother gets grants larger then this just to study the political effect that switching to commercial fertilizers had on mid 1950s rural Guatemalan peasants.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                                And so will the boats and submarines.

The perception of nuclear power being dangerous is because the greenies agenda, and rights fear of losing their donor money from the oil companies. China has made tremendous advances in nuclear power since they don't have those issues
                                Not entirely. The only reactor type allowed in the US is not a very efficient one, or safe one. It also produces too much waste. Nuclear power can been very safe but we will need to change to a different reactor design. I personally believe that the pebble bed reactor design is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X