Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4k tv's - anyone think they're over rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 75" 4k TV, it is by far the best tv in the house. I have 65" 1080p Plasma that is good too, but when watching 4k content, you can tell a huge difference. My plex server can stream 4k content locally ( as long as its wired in ) and the difference is obvious.

The bigger the TV the more the resolution matters based on your distance from the TV. I sit the normal couch distance away from the TV, if I had the 65" in the living 4k wouldn't be as noticeable if at all. Is it worth it? Probably not, just depends on your budget.

Comment

4k really comes into it's own with gaming.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

4k demo videos look amazing on my 1080p TV, pretty much the same as a 4k tv
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
          Also, TVs with low motion rates make everything have the "soap opera" effect.
          I really hate that soap opera effect. I can't stand looking at it. It looks like everything is completely and utterly staged and fake. Obviously it is, but it totally kills the immersion. It looks like you're watching "The Making of" instead of the actual show/movie itself. Do you know of some way to permanently defeat this effect? Is it simply due to the TV itself having sub optimal hardware? It sounds like the "motion rate" of a tv wouldn't be changeable.

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          4K is a scam for 90% of the people buying them who will likely NEVER watch anything in 4K on them other than at the store they bought them at who play pre-made 4k video loops.
          It will all eventually catch up to 4k... someday. Maybe in a few years, when they're starting to release 8k TVs lol. It always takes them a good long time to catch up to the next big upgrade. I remember the same conversations back when 1080p was first starting to appear.
          WH

Comment

You just went from a Plasma to an LED

Plasma has a refresh rate of 600hz, no LED can come close to that...you have gotten used to that and you will need to get used to the 120/240hz

Comment

I got rid of the soap opera effect with my Samsung 6100 series by selling it and buying a different model (Sony) after looking at reviews on Rtings.com.

Comment

my tv is a samsung, too with the soap opera effect it's really hard to get use to

Comment

a proper frame interpolation is so much better than watching shit at 24 frames per second. Watching Ultimate fighter gives me a fucking headache because its shown in 24 fps.

Comment

i put a 4 k Phillips in my shop .. works great ! And I just use a cheapie antennae

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      4k demo videos look amazing on my 1080p TV, pretty much the same as a 4k tv
                      Then you should be sitting closer to the set, otherwise 4k would be a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                        I got rid of the soap opera effect with my Samsung 6100 series by selling it and buying a different model (Sony) after looking at reviews on Rtings.com.

So basically there is nothing you can do. Except buy a TV that doesn't do it.
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          So basically there is nothing you can do. Except buy a TV that doesn't do it.
                          You can adjust some settings to help it some or just get use to it. I had mine for about 2 weeks and I had to sell it. My buddy actually likes the soap opera look.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                            You can adjust some settings to help it some or just get use to it. I had mine for about 2 weeks and I had to sell it. My buddy actually likes the soap opera look.
                            I always thought the "soap opera" effect was a product of the newer TVs and their faster refresh rates. None of my older TVs do it, and I have plasmas, LEDs, and DLPs in my house - all 1080p with old school refresh rates (60 hz, I think). My in-laws got a newer TV a while back (not 4k) that has a 240hz refresh rate, and the effect is really noticeable. They hated it at first. I've only watched a few minutes of TV on it, and I hate it, too. They've had the TV now for a couple of years, and they have totally gotten used to it. So much, in fact, that when they watch one of my TVs, they think it's totally weird. So, maybe it just takes time.

My point being, I don't think it has anything to do with the TV being 4k, but more so the refresh rate. Also, even though we don't like it, I thin it's supposed to be technically "better", and it may just take more time to finally get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              I always thought the "soap opera" effect was a product of the newer TVs and their faster refresh rates. None of my older TVs do it, and I have plasmas, LEDs, and DLPs in my house - all 1080p with old school refresh rates (60 hz, I think).
                              It's actually opposite in terms of refresh rate. The new (especially, the cheap ones) LCD/LED TVs have really slow refresh rates. That's normally the cause of the soap opera effect. The Plasma TV that you mentioned actually has a really high refresh rate by default, that's why I have never seen the soap opera effect on a Plasma.

The object of manufacturers these days is to make a paper thin panel that is affordable to the consumer. One of the reasons Plasmas were phased out. Not due to it being an inferior technology, but because you can't make a super thin light weight Plasma TV.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                                It's actually opposite in terms of refresh rate. The new (especially, the cheap ones) LCD/LED TVs have really slow refresh rates. That's normally the cause of the soap opera effect. The Plasma TV that you mentioned actually has a really high refresh rate by default, that's why I have never seen the soap opera effect on a Plasma.

The object of manufacturers these days is to make a paper thin panel that is affordable to the consumer. One of the reasons Plasmas were phased out. Not due to it being an inferior technology, but because you can't make a super thin light weight Plasma TV.
                                Hmmm...

I just know that their TV advertised the refresh rate as being a big deal, and though I don't remember the exact number, it was inline with the "good" refresh rates being advertised around that same time (2-3 years ago). I think it was 240hz, but maybe it was higher. My plasmas are probably 8-10 years old, my DLP is even older, and I think my other TVs are actually LCD and not LED, but none of them very new, and none of them have anything like that soap opera effect. I dunno. I've always heard it was the faster refresh rate causing it, and that it was supposed to be that way, because it's technically "better".

Comment

Working...
                                X