Travel trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel trailers

We like to get out on the road when on vacation and started to look at travel trailers. My thought was to get something that's not too expensive and see how much we use it before buying something nice. What should I be looking for and what is there to avoid? Just looking for recommendations. My budget is about 20k.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

what are you pulling with?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      what are you pulling with?
      Newer SRW F250 diesel. My budget dictates a bumper pull model, I would imagine.

Comment

Ive had bumper pull and 5th wheel. The 5th pulled better, and had a better layout. Otherwise, I really like the outdoor kitchen that became popular a few years back, and the bunk room separated if you have kids.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You can find something nice for around 5k honestly.
          It's one of those items like a hot tub. People will pay a ton to buy it new, not use it, then resell for practically nothing. Just check all your electrical, plumbing, and tires. One of the most crucial items is the roof obviously...make sure it is NOT leaking because they'll just fall apart if they do.
          Originally posted by Buzzo
          Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

The electrical in the majority of those things even from the factory is junk, let alone after the current owner gets an idea to add something. Like said above, look at that carefully.

Comment

how long of a trailer would you like to tow? 10' to 28' or longer?

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                Otherwise, I really like the outdoor kitchen that became popular a few years back.
                I haven’t seen many in my price range the have them.
                Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                You can find something nice for around 5k honestly.
                Damn, I’m shopping at the wrong place. Most of the ones I like are starting at 15k.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                how long of a trailer would you like to tow? 10' to 28' or longer?
                At least 28’.

Comment

Get a tiny house and live in it year round!

Comment

I lived in one for a year so I can offer a little insight. Mine was a bumper pull 28ft long. you should be able to get one for less than 20k that should be pretty nice.

With that being said I wished I had got a 5th wheel with slides. If you want a bumper pull I will still suggest at least 1 slide.

Bumper pulls with slides are really heavy and can get tough to handle if they sway. I have seen many wrecks from people pulling bumper pulls to fast and swaying when they pass me.

When you buy one make sure everything works. Take propane tanks with you to test the water heater, stove, fridge, and furnace if equipped.

check the electrical plug where you would plug into camp power. Have seen lots of those burnt at the ends.

Take a deep cycle batt if you have one so you can so you can see what lights etc are burnt out.

Check tires and breakaway controller and trailer breaks, bearings.

As someone else mentioned look at the roof.

If you plan on doing cold weather camping you have to make sure things are insulated.

There was a Fun Time RV that was in Granbury I think. They went out of business and came back as something else. That is where I got mine.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      Get a tiny house and live in it year round!
                      Funny you say that Rob. It did cross my mind to do something like that. Between pets and all the crap I hoard it would be impossible to make a tiny house my only residence. I just don't know that I would ever be comfortable downsizing to that level.

Originally posted by txstangnut View Post
                      I lived in one for a year so I can offer a little insight. Mine was a bumper pull 28ft long. you should be able to get one for less than 20k that should be pretty nice.

With that being said I wished I had got a 5th wheel with slides. If you want a bumper pull I will still suggest at least 1 slide.

Bumper pulls with slides are really heavy and can get tough to handle if they sway. I have seen many wrecks from people pulling bumper pulls to fast and swaying when they pass me.

When you buy one make sure everything works. Take propane tanks with you to test the water heater, stove, fridge, and furnace if equipped.

check the electrical plug where you would plug into camp power. Have seen lots of those burnt at the ends.

Take a deep cycle batt if you have one so you can so you can see what lights etc are burnt out.

Check tires and breakaway controller and trailer breaks, bearings.

As someone else mentioned look at the roof.

If you plan on doing cold weather camping you have to make sure things are insulated.

There was a Fun Time RV that was in Granbury I think. They went out of business and came back as something else. That is where I got mine.
                      Good stuff! Any brands to stay away from?

Comment

Not that I can think of currently. Most are made by the same few companies.

The place I mentioned is called Fun Town rv now I think. If you buy from a dealer check all that stuff before you leave the lot. They should give you propane and have hook ups.

Probably the best advice I can give is to rent one 5 or 6 times of different types and make sure you want to do the rv thing.

Many people just buy them and then figure out that's not what they want to do and then sell and take a loss just to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d rent one long before I bought one. Odds are you’ll never use it as much as you ghink and then it just becomes a headache.

Comment

Just going to throw something at you here...but why a trailer and not a class C motorhome? For example, we are looking to upgrade from our 2016 class C to a diesel pusher or renegade toter/coach and the trade in sucks balls. would rather sell it for $50k and with 20 year financing which gets you interest deductions on taxes, your payments aren't really that terrible if they fit in your budget. Typically 10% down and some sales tax and about $1000/yr for insurance. It's a coachman 29KS with outdoor kitchen and in great shape. tows 7500# and has 7900 miles on it. Just something to consider as we are about to start the process making our move here at the end of the year. Cool thing about Motorhomes is they have generators and don't require hookups once you get to where you are going! Anyway, just thought.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              Just going to throw something at you here...but why a trailer and not a class C motorhome? For example, we are looking to upgrade from our 2016 class C to a diesel pusher or renegade toter/coach and the trade in sucks balls. would rather sell it for $50k and with 20 year financing which gets you interest deductions on taxes, your payments aren't really that terrible if they fit in your budget. Typically 10% down and some sales tax and about $1000/yr for insurance. It's a coachman 29KS with outdoor kitchen and in great shape. tows 7500# and has 7900 miles on it. Just something to consider as we are about to start the process making our move here at the end of the year. Cool thing about Motorhomes is they have generators and don't require hookups once you get to where you are going! Anyway, just thought.
                              I can agree with this, but most of the time you're going to need a vehicle to get around in once you arrive. So that either means buying a manual trans car, a rear drive auto with a driveshaft disconnect, or a 4x4 with manual transfer case, then fitting a tow bar to it.

In his case, he already has the truck to pull a trailer, so there will be less expense.

Comment

Working...
                              X