Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to scrap aluminum plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So its a router? I just mostly finished mine and started cutting shit. Project I started back in 2015 and lost interest about a dozen times. My cutting envelope is 26" x 48"

I'm doing cable management on it right now after I whipped up my first project on it.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
      If you end up have to buy material, I have been using Discount Steel in Saginaw a lot lately. Best prices locally on stock sizes right now. They have showroom full of droppings and precut pieces priced per pound.
      ^^^ Best place ever...I'm like kid in a candy store at that place

Comment

Nice. Looks like a screw drive with 270oz steppers?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          Nice. Looks like a screw drive with 270oz steppers?
          Yes on the screws. 320oz steppers.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
            So its a router? I just mostly finished mine and started cutting shit. Project I started back in 2015 and lost interest about a dozen times. My cutting envelope is 26" x 48"

I'm doing cable management on it right now after I whipped up my first project on it.

Are you using vcarve?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Are you using vcarve?
              Aspire now, but yes I learned on vcarve. They look identical and are from the same company but there are a lot more options with aspire.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                Aspire now, but yes I learned on vcarve. They look identical and are from the same company but there are a lot more options with aspire.
                Cool. Vectric puts out some great stuff...especially for 2.5D work. It's way simpler than the higher end 3D stuff.

I do most of my hobby design work in fusion 360, but I use an axiom machine so most of my CAM is in v carve. If I pick up a tormach I'll start using more of the fusion 360 CAM.

Do you run a 4th axis?

Comment

Cool. Vectric puts out some great stuff...especially for 2.5D work. It's way simpler than the higher end 3D stuff.

I do most of my hobby design work in fusion 360, but I use an axiom machine so most of my CAM is in v carve. If I pick up a tormach I'll start using more of the fusion 360 CAM.

Do you run a 4th axis?
                  Aspire is sweet. My 4th axis is currently slaved to the other y axis stepper to prevent racking of the axis.

Comment

yeah Aspire is fully 3D capable. I use Fusion 360 for machining, and Aspire for wood work. Really Vcarve is just a neutered version of Aspire, they're the exact same program.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

As far as I remember aspire adds the ability to create and edit 3D files correct? Are there other functions that would make it worth it if I already have 3D modeling tools?

Also, what's everyone running in aluminum?

Comment

As far as I remember aspire adds the ability to create and edit 3D files correct? Are there other functions that would make it worth it if I already have 3D modeling tools?

Also, what's everyone running in aluminum?
                        Aspire can definitely do 3d although I have not began to dig into it.

I dont plan on cutting any real metal with my machine. I will do some sheet metal aluminum for a couple of projects I have in mind already but maybe .060" tops. Just wood, plastics, and foam otherwise for me.

All of the aluminum parts on my machine besides the extrusion were designed by me and cut on a larger cnc router.

Comment

Working...
                        X