sony shuts down playstation network indefinitely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sony shuts down playstation network indefinitely

Internet gamers were frustrated last week when Sony shut down its PlayStation Network. Now, they might have reason to be worried.

On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.

To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,” Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post.

Sony is still investigating the “external intrusion” that forced the electronics giant to shut down its network last Wednesday. In an email, the company also said it is also trying to figure out if any personal information, such as credit card numbers, may have been compromised in the attack.

Last week’s outage came at a particularly bad time for the videogame giant. Many of its teenage customers were hoping to virtually punch, kick and choke each other in new videogames, including Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Mortal Kombat, over the three-day Eastern weekend.

Instead, many of them griped on Facebook, Twitter and even the Digits Blog. Many of the upset gamers said they wanted more transparency from Sony as the process of rebuilding its service continues. Others threatened to switch sides, as it were, and join Microsoft’s Xbox Live service, which largely offers the same features as the PlayStation Network.

Not all gamers were distraught and some said the furor was over the top. “You would have thought the world had just ended,” Matt, a commenter on the Digits blog, wrote.

Live FTW

Comment

Fucking nerds.
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

i have a ps3 but havent played online in a looong time. i was gonna get some internets in my new apt but now i dont think i am lol

Comment

All I can say is that they better have that shit fixed by the time mx vs atv Alive comes out on may 10th.
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
            i have a ps3 but havent played online in a looong time. i was gonna get some internets in my new apt but now i dont think i am lol
            Get an Xbox, pay the $60 a year fee and play to ur hearts content! I have always been a PS fan till 360... Its got so many games, and it seems that more people have the 360, so more ppl to kill/race/etc. My .02 but its worth the small yearly fee. Live has NEVER gone down more then the time it takes u to update it, which are automatic. I might be wrong, but Live hasnt let me down in the 9 years its been out (I might be wrong on the time out). Im Howitzur on Live if you ever upgrade

Comment

i grew up with both playstation/ps2 and the original xbox. when it came time for me to buy one i was on the fence for a long time, finally decided to get the ps3 and i am happy with it. i dont use it nearly as much as others but when i do it hasnt let me down so far. playing online is pretty fun but i can replay games and not get bored with them. currently replaying cod modern warfare. if i was to start getting into gaming more then i would pick up an xbox, but without internets i could care less lol

Comment

Get both. I like some 360 games and some are just more fun on the ps.

Comment

i will say this, the guys that play on xbox online are usually a lot better than the guys on ps3 online

i would play cod4 all the time on my ps3 and would do pretty good, about half the time in the middle and other half in the top 3 as far as kills. i would go to my homies place and play cod4 on his xbox and get maybe in the middle if i got lucky but mostly towards the bottom. the reason(in my opinion) was not because of the controller at all, it was just the guys played better. i think that since it you have to pay you have more guys that are serious about playing vs the guys that just casually play cause it's free

Comment

Son of a bitch!

I bought that damn portal game yesterday so I could have the PS3 and PC version.. I really only wanted the PC version but I figured why not get the PS3 version also. Now I can't get it.
                    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

bwahahahaha nice
                      Big Rooster Racing
                      1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                        All I can say is that they better have that shit fixed by the time mx vs atv Alive comes out on may 10th.
                        I seriously doubt they give a shit about having it working for that game.

With MK, Portal 2, and Socom released last week, there are much bigger games to be concerned about.
                        sigpic

Comment

you guys are all gay. get both. get a wii too, and a mame cabinet.
                          www.hppmotorsports.com
                          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

In general I think it is a piss poor move that Sony is pulling. Are they refunding costs or is the PSN free?

Using words like "Indefinite" for the shutdown is not fair to the customers in my opinion. PSN is a FEATURE of your product that you made a decision to buy over other products. I understand they f'ed up and have to fix somethings. However, it is not fair to their customers to not provide timelines.

Mind you, I'm a customer of neither at the moment. Just a fairly neutral observation.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              In general I think it is a piss poor move that Sony is pulling. Are they refunding costs or is the PSN free?

Using words like "Indefinite" for the shutdown is not fair to the customers in my opinion. PSN is a FEATURE of your product that you made a decision to buy over other products. I understand they f'ed up and have to fix somethings. However, it is not fair to their customers to not provide timelines.

Mind you, I'm a customer of neither at the moment. Just a fairly neutral observation.
                              psn is free.

im sure they dont want it to be down since they are probably losing money left and right as a result.

my guess is down for 2 weeks.
                              www.hppmotorsports.com
                              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Working...
                              X