Calming the mind before an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calming the mind before an interview?

I'm scheduled for my first job interview in almost 14 years, and though I feel fully prepared, and perfect for the role, I've still got this little pit in my stomach I can't seem to shake. Past experience in similar situations (client meetings mostly) tells me that I'll be calm as a cucumber post handshake, but right now my mind won't shut off.

Any advice and/or words of encouragement would be appreciated. Hell, even a DFWM style roasting would at least give me something to entertain myself with...

Good luck!! Mention DFWM and I'm sure you'll get the job!! Just tell them you are
    Gasser64 on here and they will know you are a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
      Good luck!! Mention DFWM and I'm sure you'll get the job!! Just tell them you are
      Gasser64 on here and they will know you are a genius.
      My experience here at DFWM is the third bullet on my resume.

Comment

Embrace that shit man. It keeps you aggressive.

Or you can smoke weed.

Comment

Arrive 30 minutes early and jerk off in the lobby bathroom. Don't wash your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            Perfect! I have it as a constant place of employment since May 2007, hopefully it does the trick since I am graduating next month and have to get a real job again.

Comment

Smoke a fatty and think of titties.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                Perfect! I have it as a constant place of employment since May 2007, hopefully it does the trick since I am graduating next month and have to get a real job again.
                Dfwmustangs 2000-present
                Duties
                • Ride down with the ship that is sinking
                • Successfully implement onboarding process for new hires
                • Shit where I ate
                • Directly responsible for chasing off any pussy
                • As a result, jerked off to chubby girls in the NSFW thread
                • Please do not contact for references...um currently employed...

Comment

It's okay to be nervous.

There are always going to be skill questions that you'll have to answer correctly to prove that you're qualified for the job. Let's assume that at about 40 years old now, you're qualified. I'm also assuming that you'll be well-groomed, dressed sharply, and you've studied your own resume. These are all basic minimum requirements to get a job.

Now you just have to show them that you'll be an employee that they actually want to work with, so turn on the people skills.

Remember to SMILE. I swear that is the most important thing. It makes other people think you are charismatic and enjoyable to be around, regardless of the circumstances (which are obviously stressful when you're being interviewed).

Also remember that they want you to be a great new employee as much as you want to be hired. They are pulling for you to be successful. So come into the interview ready to be a likeable team player.

Finally, always prepare for an interview with a couple of questions you want to ask them. You want to be sure you're accepting a job at a company and a culture that you are willing to work for. These questions are up to you, but try to get a feel for the company and make sure you're not setting yourself up for 15-hour workdays, micromanagement, an on-call rotation, that kind of thing.

Being nervous is not all bad. That little stress keeps you sharp. Good luck man!
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Now you just have to show them that you'll be an employee that they actually want to work with, so turn on the people skills.

Remember to SMILE. I swear that is the most important thing. It makes other people think you are charismatic and enjoyable to be around, regardless of the circumstances (which are obviously stressful when you're being interviewed).
                    This right here. Walk in being very open and personable. Come in with confidence and charisma but never act cocky. If you don't know the anser to a question, just answer the best you can and preface you aren't sure but here is what I would do or should be done I believe.

Just have a damn conversation. Thats all it is. Half the battle is being a real life human being that a manager can talk to.

Comment

I got all my questions answered in the two pre-interviews Danny, but I'll have a couple in my back pocket if needed. You are absolutely right, this final interview is primarily about seeing if I'll meld with the team, and ironically, this newly hired manager is the only one I haven't yet met. My peers-to-be have already put in a good word for me.

This is a slam-dunk if there was such a thing, but the HR lady did say that it's down to the top 3 canidates, so that put a smidgeon of doubt up there. I do honestly believe that I'm the top pick of the 3, I have several rock-solid references already working there, and I hope to save him the time of interviewing the other two backups, and walk outta there with an offer.

I always smile and do stay as personable as possible, I'll add in a little humor if/when the opportunity presents itself, but stay professional and genuinely grateful otherwise. It is a sales job after all, so if I can't sell myself, then what am I doing interviewing?

Comment

In some respects, I feel like a contestant that's made "the final round." I am stoked to have gotten the opportunity to interview, that in and of itself makes me feel pretty good about my career to this point, but damn that'd suck to get sent home in the 11th hour.

May the best man win. Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          See that's the problem. It should be the first bullet point.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Goodluck! I haven't been through many interviews so I have no advice for you, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Comment

I usually distract myself by reviewing proper ways to use "ironically".

Best of luck, man.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                              X