Dying interior parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying interior parts

Has anybody done this? I bought some Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye along with the prep spray they recommended in the directions. I have a few small pieces I am going to try and dye along with the backseat. Has anybody tried this, any tips or tricks you could pass along would help.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Interested in seeing some input on this.

Comment

I ve done it, it works very well.

Clean the ever loving shit out of the part, and hit it with some scotchbrite to scuff it slightly. It lasted many years on my old vert, but was rubbing off around where the dash touched to trim pannel.

I wanted to hit it with some satin clear after a redo, but sold it that way.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I did it to a leather rear seat and numerous interior panels. I used the paint and prep supplies from Late Model Restoration. All of mine came out looking good. Like Baron said, clean it very good first.

Comment

I had bad luck doing a coupe back seat years ago. Faded red seat and I tried to dye it black and it took alot of dye to get it black and then it felt like wool. Worked awsome for the dash and misc vinyl and plastic pieces though, just not cloth.

Comment

Thanks guys I guess I'll go ahead and try it, the back seat is leather/vinyl so maybe it will come out ok, worse I would have to do is find a new seat skin for it.
            Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

SEM makes some user friendly dyes. I can make them from my Dupont system with low/med/or hi gloss that have to be sprayed w/ a paint gun. The SEM stuff comes in a shake-n-spray can. You can get it at nearly any paint store.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                SEM makes some user friendly dyes. I can make them from my Dupont system with low/med/or hi gloss that have to be sprayed w/ a paint gun. The SEM stuff comes in a shake-n-spray can. You can get it at nearly any paint store.
                I've heard very good things about SEM. I'd like to try the mixed stuff, but don'thave anything to work.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I would hit it with adhesion promotor before the dye as well.
                  2 Chronicles 7:14
                  If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

I am about to buy some deluxe door panels for my 70 Mach 1 that were originally black but dyed red. I need them black for my car. Any chance of clean removal of existing dye or best to just go over it? I dont think the seller knows what red dye product was appled to it. Anyone been there, done that?
                    Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Got them today and man, are they red. Any suggestions?
                      Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                        Got them today and man, are they red. Any suggestions?
                        prep and spray away. We're not too far apart if you need a hand.

Comment

I still haven't dyed my pieces yet it's been too damn hot. Post up some pics or tips of how yours went

Comment

will do

sigpic

Comment

i've done it but will only use eastwoods stuff! i've had really good results with everything they sell.

With the right auto interior paint or vinyl dye from Eastwood, you can restore your vehicle's insides to showroom quality. Place your order online today!

Comment

Working...
                              X