No announcement yet.

My LS-Coupe Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know that with my cut out open it is too loud for me to drive as a daily with out getting attention from every cop. John had some open style tube mufflers on his and it was about the same.

I'd always pick the right lane though that way you are annoying the shit our of the guy you are racing haha
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

hacking it up? Shit, this isn't some sort of hemi-cuda, cut that shit up and make your life a lot easier.

2nd thing - You've painted yourself in a corner in a few ways, but right now, the glaringly obvious part is the downpipe routing. If you'd route the pipe out of the manifold where it has a droop - you could've ran that downpipe OVER the crossover and leave yourself some future room for exhaust routing.

Comment

also..

I would completely refrain from fully welding something until that whole part is done. You'll undoubtedly have to cut somethign apart sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          hacking it up? Shit, this isn't some sort of hemi-cuda, cut that shit up and make your life a lot easier.
          LOL! Always know how to make me feel good Brooks! I'll probably end up cutting it up but since my IC piping kit comes with some 90 degree elbows I'll just see how it lines up (then I'll undoubtedly have to hack into the fender apron/frame rail!)

2nd thing - You've painted yourself in a corner in a few ways, but right now, the glaringly obvious part is the downpipe routing. If you'd route the pipe out of the manifold where it has a droop - you could've ran that downpipe OVER the crossover and leave yourself some future room for exhaust routing.
          So you would have dropped the pipes straight down out of the flange and ran them under the downpipe? I didn't think to do that for two reasons, first is that I didn't think I'd have room since the dp would have to then fight for room with the cross over pipes rather then just going around them and I didn't think that I'd be able to get the downpipe out if I didn't have it going under (for example it wont go in from the top as it sits, has to come in from the bottom, I can only imagine it'd be worse with a shorter drop and no way to come in from the bottom with the cross over pipes going under it).

As for the welding, that is a VERY GOOD point, I haven't had to cut anything up YET, but then again the driver side pipe is just a bend straight into the merge so it shouldn't change much and if it does I'll probably buy a machined truck flange (vs. reusing the stock flange) and make whatever changes I need to there. For the drivers pipe it's just tacked onto the flange on the passenger side, might have to have 2 v-bands on that pipe since the clearance is going through the k-member is really tight and I am not sure the pipe will fit through with the flange.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            LOL! Always know how to make me feel good Brooks! I'll probably end up cutting it up but since my IC piping kit comes with some 90 degree elbows I'll just see how it lines up (then I'll undoubtedly have to hack into the fender apron/frame rail!)

So you would have dropped the pipes straight down out of the flange and ran them under the downpipe? I didn't think to do that for two reasons, first is that I didn't think I'd have room since the dp would have to then fight for room with the cross over pipes rather then just going around them and I didn't think that I'd be able to get the downpipe out if I didn't have it going under (for example it wont go in from the top as it sits, has to come in from the bottom, I can only imagine it'd be worse with a shorter drop and no way to come in from the bottom with the cross over pipes going under it).

As for the welding, that is a VERY GOOD point, I haven't had to cut anything up YET, but then again the driver side pipe is just a bend straight into the merge so it shouldn't change much and if it does I'll probably buy a machined truck flange (vs. reusing the stock flange) and make whatever changes I need to there. For the drivers pipe it's just tacked onto the flange on the passenger side, might have to have 2 v-bands on that pipe since the clearance is going through the k-member is really tight and I am not sure the pipe will fit through with the flange.
            There's some give and take- especially when you didn't make the headers and don't have any say in where the pipes actually point. If you don't route the DP over the crossover, you will NOT be able to get it back over the control arm for a 'standard' style exhaust in the future. If you don't think you'l ever do that (but YOU will).. then carry on. It will fit easily by drooping the drivers side crossover pipe down where it clears the lowest part of the fram by 6" or so- DP only needs 5.

Comment

If I decide I can't do the open DP couldn't I just turn the DP to point towards the passenger side, go under the crank pulley, do a 5" into 2 3.5" merge then route them around towards the rear vs. hackin up my current crossover merge (it'd have to go since the pipes angle back towards the driver manifold)

Comment

If I decide I can't do the open DP couldn't I just turn the DP to point towards the passenger side, go under the crank pulley, do a 5" into 2 3.5" merge then route them around towards the rear vs. hackin up my current crossover merge (it'd have to go since the pipes angle back towards the driver manifold)
                It has to be split starting at the bottom of the first bend out of the turbo, or it won't fit anywhere - imagine an upside down Y. Then, one 3.5" pipe would go to the pass side, and one to the drivers side.

Comment

I see, I'll see if I can design the passenger pipe around the notion that I might end up running a 3.5" pipe through.

Do the turbo's not muffle at all? I know it won't be quiet by any means but just not sure why it'd be impossible to live with especially if I added a 5" muffler into the mix.

Comment

I see, I'll see if I can design the passenger pipe around the notion that I might end up running a 3.5" pipe through.

Do the turbo's not muffle at all? I know it won't be quiet by any means but just not sure why it'd be impossible to live with especially if I added a 5" muffler into the mix.
                    Of course they do, but every engine/car combo is different. Clifton's car is quiet as hell at the track, but when you're not around that environment, it seems loud as hell.

Comment

Of course they do, but every engine/car combo is different. Clifton's car is quiet as hell at the track, but when you're not around that environment, it seems loud as hell.
                      How is it inside, more concerned with cabin noise then overall I am wondering if having it out the side will help with the drone I am used to with the exhaust dumped before the rear axle . (hate drone) Also, do you ever have a problem with the front tire and the heat from the downpipe?

Comment

If you hate drone you should stick with a stock car or a Cadillac ctsv. Grow a set and let it sing if you're not a total pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
                          If you hate drone you should stick with a stock car or a Cadillac ctsv. Grow a set and let it sing if you're not a total pussy.
                          good point, i've got my daily for funerals

Comment

Originally posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
                            Cadillac ctsv.
                            Go buy a CTSV, man, I'm the guy trying to sell $5 parts on LS1Tech and asking for discount codes to Northern Tool! I ain't buying no Cadillac on my Kia budget!

Comment

Mmm nice, now that you know what you're doing, you can help me on mine!
                              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

also..

I would completely refrain from fully welding something until that whole part is done. You'll undoubtedly have to cut somethign apart sooner or later.
                                you aint shittin

Comment

Working...
                                X