My 8 Year Old Straight Dealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 8 Year Old Straight Dealing

His 8U select team out of Frisco had a big weekend in Oklahoma City over Memorial Day weekend. They finished 2nd in the coach pitch tournament and then went 5-0 in kid pitch to win that tournament. The team only gave up 5 total runs in the 5 kid pitch games. My big lefty threw a no hitter in the semifinals winning 8-0 in 4 innings. He struck out 10 batters out of 12 outs. Here are some pics from the weekend. The boys got rings, and I don't think any of them have taken them off except to practice this week.

He plays a mean first base since he's so tall. At 5' 2", he can go up and get throws like this one and then make tag plays if needed.

Studying a new opposing pitcher. He's on the right and hits in the 4 hole.

Team photo after winning the championship just before getting rings. Jordan and I are in the middle of the picture.

Of course my 4 year old made the trip too. He plays in McKinney with 5 & 6 year olds and just loves to be around the field.

Awesome man. You gotta be one proud dad! Congrats!

Damn 5' 2" is tall for 8.
    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
      Awesome man. You gotta be one proud dad! Congrats!

Damn 5' 2" is tall for 8.
      Thanks. I am quite proud, and yes, he's very tall for his age.

Comment

Awesome....reminds me of my boy. Looking at the first pic, I can see that someone has been working with him.
        We have a tourney this weekend. I hope we can keep the good play going. We have won 6 out of the last 8 tourneys and got 2nd in the other two. Nations Baseball has us listed as the best 10U Elite team in Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          Awesome....reminds me of my boy. Looking at the first pic, I can see that someone has been working with him.
          We have a tourney this weekend. I hope we can keep the good play going. We have won 6 out of the last 8 tourneys and got 2nd in the other two. Nations Baseball has us listed as the best 10U Elite team in Texas!
          That's awesome that you guys are ranked that high. As you and I have discussed, it's a lot of work. This is an "off" weekend for us. So far we've logged 2 hours at the cage today between pitching, hitting, hitting some more, and watching as a teammate works out. We have a scrimmage tomorrow.

Jordan is learning what makes first place mean so much -- they don't just hand it out to anyone. Sounds like Colby has already figured that out too, and at such a young age. Hope you guys keep rolling, Dave.

Comment

Winning 6-2 in last inning in first game today...Fields are short (195ft in corners) and Colby hit a line drive HR. The boy is feeling it...peaking just before the World Series next month.

Youre doing what it takes to maximize your kid's potential...working with him outside of team practice. That's key to continued improvement.

Comment

Winning 6-2 in last inning in first game today...Fields are short (195ft in corners) and Colby hit a line drive HR. The boy is feeling it...peaking just before the World Series next month.

Youre doing what it takes to maximize your kid's potential...working with him outside of team practice. That's key to continued improvement.
              Way to go, Colby! Are you guys playing AAYBA next month here in Dallas?

Comment

AAYBA Sux ass. Never again. We're headed to Fla.
                We won both games today.

Comment

We played another tournament the other weekend in Grapevine. It was 8U kid pitch (9U rules). There was a team from CA and a few local plus one from Nacogdoches. 3 of the teams there were super hot. We didn't fare so well against them because we haven't played nearly as much kid pitch as those teams. My boy had a good weekend though. He went 8-11 with 4 doubles and 2 walks in 6 games. He carried a shutout into the last inning of our 3rd game on 6 hours of sleep in 100+ field temps before he ran out of gas after a few defensive miscues. One more tournament left and then we get a break!

Here he is taking a few swings.

Comment

Looking good. Looks like he is well coached.

Colby's team (10U Premier/Major) is playing in a 12U tourney this weekend. We didnt want to run through our good pitchers in the pool games (our first tourney playing up) so we got romped by the eventual 1-2 seed teams...9-1 and 11-1. In all fairness, the team that beat us 11-1 had a 12yr old that shaves and is over 6ft pitching and he was throwing 75mph. Our boys have never seen that velocity.
                    Out first game today was against this team again (first seed)...we were last seed. Colby pitched. He had good command of his 5 pitches today and only gave up 3 hits with 2 walks. Score was 3-3 in top 6 and Colby caught up to one of those heaters and put it over the 245ft CF fence. This ended up being the game winning run as he struck out the side in the bottom of the 6th.
                    Here he is with his HR ball and the game ball given by his team.

Comment

Looking good. Looks like he is well coached.

Colby's team (10U Premier/Major) is playing in a 12U tourney this weekend. We didnt want to run through our good pitchers in the pool games (our first tourney playing up) so we got romped by the eventual 1-2 seed teams...9-1 and 11-1. In all fairness, the team that beat us 11-1 had a 12yr old that shaves and is over 6ft pitching and he was throwing 75mph. Our boys have never seen that velocity.
                      Out first game today was against this team again (first seed)...we were last seed. Colby pitched. He had good command of his 5 pitches today and only gave up 3 hits with 2 walks. Score was 3-3 in top 6 and Colby caught up to one of those heaters and put it over the 245ft CF fence. This ended up being the game winning run as he struck out the side in the bottom of the 6th.
                      Here he is with his HR ball and the game ball given by his team.
                      That's awesome for Colby. He just keeps raking, and to dominate like that on the mound is awesome for him -- especially against kids 2 years older!!! You couldn't write a better ending than that either for him to hit a bomb and then strike out the side. Does he need an agent yet? It's great to see someone with that talent working as hard as Colby and Jordan do to have success. Jordan was up to 56 mph last week in his pitching lesson, and that was halfway in to his pitch count. Our goal is to cross 60 mph before the year ends. These boys are learning at a very early age that talent alone isn't enough -- you have to work to be able to make full use of your ability. A picture showing perfect form on the mound or at the plate doesn't show the hours and repetitions it took to get there, but the kids know it.

Comment

Headed to Orange Beach for Colby's World Series. I hope we can play well enough to bring home some hardware...I outfitted the kids with all new unis for this week. At least we will look sharp if we dont play well!!

Comment

Headed to Orange Beach for Colby's World Series. I hope we can play well enough to bring home some hardware...I outfitted the kids with all new unis for this week. At least we will look sharp if we dont play well!!
                          Good luck and travel safely! Bring home the goods!

Comment

We ended up 3rd out of 32 teams. We played great up until the last at bat for the opposing team of our semifinal game. We were up 6-4 and 2 errors by a kid who shouldn't be at 2B cost us a trip the championship game.
                            Colby played great all weekend. He pitched our first game (in the top bracket) on Sat against a strong 10u major team from Alabama. He shut them out and jacked a 3run bomb which ended up being our only scores. He ended up with 2HRs and 16RBIs in 6 games.
                            I am proud of the boys but a bit disappointed because we had a strong team and likely would have brought home the hardware if it wasn't for those two silly errors.
                            Here he is giving his coach a chest bump after shutting a 10u Major team out and accounting for all of our runs in that game.

Comment

Working...
                            X