No announcement yet.

Top Gear America starting in 30min

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed it last night, but read the Jalopnik review - the editors at Jalopnik have seen the 1st 3 shows and said it gets better after the 1st. I'm waiting to catch a replay - I'm sure history will be showing it over and over again.

Comment

had zero desire to watch it
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
        had zero desire to watch it
        Me too.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Could have been worse. I'll definitely give it a chance.

Comment

I DVR'd last night and just got done watching it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'll keep watching it. Hell, it's the first episode, gotta at least give the guys some time to get comfortable.

I wish they would have used Jay Leno, Tim Allen, and Tanner Foust. 2 old dudes and a younger goofball, LOL.
            "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

It was alright... Jay Leno was offered the job, but turned it down. I think there is no chemistry between the hosts at this time, but maybe it will grow. Also felt some of the commentary was forced. I'll watch it again, but it's nowhere near as good as the original (not that I was expecting it to be).

Comment

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first episode. I don't give two shits about the lack of chemistry and how awkward it felt; that can be fixed with time. I just couldn't get past the shittacular cinematography.

What made the original great, to me, was how brilliant the camera and production work was. Even in the early episodes it was bliss. The cinematography in this first episode was dull, not at all creative or inventive and not even visually appealing. Some will make the argument that it will get better with time and blah blah blah blah, but I just don't think that's the case; the creative direction just doesn't even seem like it's in the same ballpark as the original.

I can already tell the music is going to be a dealbreaker for me as well. Whoever is behind the music selection on the original TG is a goddamned genius and I don't expect TGUS to come even close in that regard. We'll see, though, I guess.
                I'll continue to give it a shot, but it's about what I expected.

Comment

I really do want this show to succeed but I don't think it will...

Here is what I observed.

The Stage is nothing more than a set. The original is set in an aircraft hangar where the test track is located. I think that should be replicated because of the coolness factor..

Much of the show was shot in video, which made it look like shit. Most of the original is shot in film or very high grade video.

Why the fuck didn't they get a camera with vibration reduction? The in car shots really look like shit. WTF is wrong with them? That shit should never be on TV.

The fake missile detection system was so contrived. Well actually the entire segment with the Viper sucked ass..

Everything in the show was staged. This is just like the original. The problem is that the original does a much better job of not looking staged.

They can't spend money for a camera with vibration reduction but they can spend it on a video screen that does nothing but show the image of the Stig? The original has nothing more than a poster..

The intro of the Stig was kinda lame.

The intro of the Suzuki SX4 was actually kinda funny..

How the fuck do you get such a boring interview of Buzz Aldren. He's fucking BUZZ ALDRIN! There are so many facets to this man that it should be impossible to do a boring interview with him but they damn well found a way...

The Lamborghini segment was actually ok.. until you get video of them in the damn cabin. Is Vibration Reduction really that fuckin' expensive? Did they shoot this show with a fucking pocket camera?

As for the hosts of the show, I agree with Slowhand in that the chemistry takes time. I'm willing to wait that part out. The original TG didn't have that chemistry for over a decade until they fired everyone but Clarkson and started over with Hamster and Capt. Slow. That said, I still think they messed up on their choices for hosts. Adam Ferrara was the only one remotely entertaining. I think he and Foust could eventually get this working right. But Rutledge Wood is a big ole bag of FAIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                    failemonade
                    Exactly
                    Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                    I just couldn't get past the shittacular cinematography.
                    That too.
                    Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Why the fuck didn't they get a camera with vibration reduction? The in car shots really look like shit. WTF is wrong with them? That shit should never be on TV.

They can't spend money for a camera with vibration reduction but they can spend it on a video screen that does nothing but show the image of the Stig? The original has nothing more than a poster..

The intro of the Stig was kinda lame.
                    And all of that.

I can't wait to see what the original Top Gear has to say about this one. Of course there's probably some sort of agreement that they can't.

Comment

I watched the first episode last night it seems forced and scripted.
                      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

YEah, it was pretty lame. I hope they can spice it up. MOst likely not.
                        GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                          I watched the first episode last night it seems forced and scripted.
                          Yes, especially the first half. The Lambo segment was as close to natural as those guys got..

Comment

Yeah the first show was very awkward, lots of dull anti climatic moments.
                            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                              Tim Allen would be great. Isn't he the voice on the new GM commercials?
                              No. That's the dude from SNL. Cant remember the name.
                              HD Parts
                              paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                                No. That's the dude from SNL. Cant remember the name.
                                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                                X