Situational Awareness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situational Awareness

Getting on the interstate to head home today, I made a split second decision to get into the left lane upon emtering the right lane. I found, as I merged, that there was a truck in my blind spot. Thankfully, I made it into the left lane without incident. I proceeded on my way. Knowing that I made a mistake, but short of flagging the guy down to give him a formal apology, what could I do. The gentleman proceded to tail me. Passing me at one point, with no blinker of course to apparently show his displeasure. Traffic was moving well below the speed limit and I ended up passing him. At this point, I found it odd. Maybe I was being paranoid, but I have always been hyper aware of my serroundings and the actions of others. As I passed him, he kept a bit of distance between us, however, he mirrored my lane. He then exited where I did. Took the split under the overpass as I did. When I made my next turn, I realized I was being followed. I was driving by teh water park to see if it was closed. I took the wrong turn into that development. I took the turn that leads to the entrance of no businesses an empty intersection. I decided at this point, that I was not going home. I was going to drive around, aimlessly to nowhere to see if he was following me. So, I reached into the console pulled out my hand gun and kept it in my lap. I then pulled up the number to the local PD on my phone in case I needed it, and politely started my journey. Followed, turn by turn. After a few minutes, I went left and he went straight. This particular road would have taken him to the next town. I made the loop around to see if he continued straight. I was not surprised to find that he turned around at the bank on the corner tracing my path trying to find me. I pulled into the gas station and parked. Hoping it was over. Not wanting to go home in case he was driving around trying to find me. After a few minutes, I figured it was safe to go home.

Moral of the story you ask? ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. I had no ill intention of my traffic error, I simply did not see him until it was too late to make a different decision. He appeared to give me room, so I procedes. He apparently took it personally. You never know how people will react. Know who and what is around you.

Did I cut him off, yes. Did I do it intentionally, no. I was getting on the interstate, an 18 wheeler bearing down on my back bumper and a minivan travelling well below the speed limit ahead. I had a split second decision to try and temper my speed and not get rear ended, or proceed to the left lane. I chose the left lane, thinking it was clear, I never saw the 4 door GMC truck. Not until I was halfway into lane and thankful he saw me and slowed enough for me to safely get over.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

The other moral is to be patient and control yourself in traffic.

I'm 100% certain you could have stayed in a lane. We certainly all have done it....but SA isnt the principal lesson.

Comment

My mom was once followed home racing though neighborhoods and blowing stop signs by a 40 something year old pizza delivery driver who thought she had cut him off. Cell phones weren't as popular back then but my dad had got one for her. She speed dialed the house, threw the phone in the passenger seat and screamed updates to us as she came home. (this part was kinda funny) my mom drove a 98 Regal GS with the supercharged 3.8l and the guy was driving a maxima or something it was a stick shift.) My mom was clearly out pacing him through the straits but he was still coming. she whipped into the driveway and parked the a second or two later came sliding up in front of the house and jumped out of his car headed strait at her. That's when he saw me 200lb football player, my brother 200ish lb football player, and my dad about 250lb pissed off ex military husband... hockey player.
      dude lost all his fight when it was no longer him vs a 5ft tall woman. But to be honest she would have ripped his fucking eyes out and high heal stomped his brains out, where as we where only going to beat his ass and wait for the cops. lol he owed us a thank you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        The other moral is to be patient and control yourself in traffic.

I'm 100% certain you could have stayed in a lane. We certainly all have done it....but SA isnt the principal lesson.
        I would tend to agree if I had been in a road rage said eff you, flipped him off, been driving erratic or carelessly the entire time. I got on the interstate, proceded into what I thought was an open lane, never saw him until I was merging into his lane. I would have, under no circumstances force myself into an occupied lane. Had I not been paying attention, or aware of my surroundings, I would have led this guy to my home, with my wife and 3 year old there, playing in the sprinkler in the driveway, to have god know what happen with this guy.

Did I make a driving error, yes. Was I driving erratically, angrily, giving him just cause to follow me, no, not at all.

Yes, I could have stayed in my lane. I have no problem admitting that, or that I made a mistake in merging into that lane by not fully checking my blind spot.

Comment

Quit driving like shit! It took me half an hour to find my way back to the highway!

Comment

I get where you're coming from, but dick heads (seemingly) purposely fling their shitboxes in front of me several times a day, and I only have a 16 mile round trip.

You might not have done it on purpose, but I'd be you weren't the first person to do that shit that day to him, and probably sent him over the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              I get where you're coming from, but dick heads (seemingly) purposely fling their shitboxes in front of me several times a day, and I only have a 16 mile round trip.

You might not have done it on purpose, but I'd be you weren't the first person to do that shit that day to him, and probably sent him over the edge.
              I completely agree. And 100% own that it was an ognorant bone headed move. As soon as I saw him, whether I was already in his lane or not, I should have moved back over and slowed down. I felt like a dumbass the whole way home.

I have no doubt I probably wasn't the first guy today to do that. I drive that stretch of road every day and have to dwap with the same dumbasserey. So I feel his pain, and that added to my, awe I just fucked up feeling as soon as I did it !

Comment

It happens. Sorry it happened to you, but you did okay. That guy was definitely pushing limits he should not have. The older I get the more I just don't get mad about shit like this. It's not worth the consequences. I also drive less aggressive unless cones or a roadcourse is involved then, fuck the tires.

Next time, you'll do it differently. Hopefully, next time the other guy will let it go.

At the same time always remember "be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

I know it doesn't happen very often, but sometimes guys in this situation cross that line. I'm just glad no one else was with you and put in that position.

Comment

Try turning your head and actually looking. Cool story a+++

Comment

It's cool that you admit your mistake. Next time, just don't make a sweeping lane changes and you probably won't have issues like this. He should definitely learn to let shit go.

I actually got side swiped by some twat that was merging onto the texpress. I was in the left lane of the two lane portion when she felt the need to make a split second decision to get in my lane rather than slow down because there was a slower moving vehicle in the right lane....stupid bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      It's cool that you admit your mistake. Next time, just don't make a sweeping lane changes and you probably won't have issues like this. He should definitely learn to let shit go.

I actually got side swiped by some twat that was merging onto the texpress. I was in the left lane of the two lane portion when she felt the need to make a split second decision to get in my lane rather than slow down because there was a slower moving vehicle in the right lane....stupid bitch.
                      Fully agree. And I will think about that situation everytime I merge onto the interstate. Not even because the dude went psycho and wanted to follow me home, but because the instant I committed to the lane change, I knew I fucked up!

Best I can guess, is that he was travelling faster than the 18 wheeler and he cleared him about the time I made it into the right lane and headed for the left. I've got a bit of a blind spot as I look over my left shoulder out of the left rear door/window. If I don't turn quite enough, I miss a good portion of the lane to my left from about the front of the wheel well back.

Comment

Yeah I probably spend way too much time looking in my rear view mirror.
                        Most of the time when I’m driving my gun is in my cup holder.
                        sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          I proceeded on my way. Knowing that I made a mistake, but short of flagging the guy down to give him a formal apology, what could I do.
                          Did you show acknowledgement at least by waving? If not, that could be another reason why dude was pissed off. Or, could have stopped in a public place while he was following you, confronted him and said you were sorry, that it was on you, that you don't want trouble and be on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            Did you show acknowledgement at least by waving? If not, that could be another reason why dude was pissed off. Or, could have stopped in a public place while he was following you, confronted him and said you were sorry, that it was on you, that you don't want trouble and be on your way.
                            I didn't. I should have, another lesson learned.

Comment

Dang man, it's a good thing you have all of these perfect drivers here to tell you everything you did wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X