DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #101
32vfromhell
Lifer

What about tying the time of a 911 GT3 RS being driven by champion driver Randy Pobst?

32vfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #102
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vfromhell View Post
What about tying the time of a 911 GT3 RS being driven by champion driver Randy Pobst?

First off...Im not sure you understand what a tie is. He lost.

Buuuuut....that's impressive and badass. I like where ford is headed with lap time oriented cars...even if it requires a 260 horsepower advantage. Something...something...power to weight.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #103
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vfromhell View Post
That was very impressive. That new SVT Snake will flat out get it.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #104
cool cat
Lifer

Here it is against its closest competitors.
cool cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #105
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post

Here it is against its closest competitors.
Damnit! I just coming to post this myself. It gapped em pretty handily!
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #106
mikeb
Lifer

The era of the cheap, crude LX/GT with roller cam 225hp 302s right off the showroom floor is gone. We were lucky that we got to enjoy that era and that Ford saw fit to make them in the first place.

Those mustangs didn't handle particularly well but they would sure move when when you bolted on heads and cams and intakes and blowers and nitrous.

In the earlier days of Dfwstangs (RIP) straight line power was king and the Mustang delivered - as did the LS1. There were some epic trash talking threads between the Mustang and LS1 camps.

Today the cost, the complexity, and the weight of new cars keeps climbing because of more technology, more gadgets, and more government regulations. It's nice if you are flush enough to be able to afford one of them, but the pool of prospective buyers shrinks as the cost increases.

As much as we may want them to - manufacturers have no reason to spend money to produce inexpensive, stripped down cars. Such cars are not as profitable as loaded cars, and would be a liability for them warranty wise given how they'd be used (Mustang T5s anyone?). They'd rather sell expensive off road drag packages with disclaimers of liability.

It may all be moot anyway - manufacturers are making plans to discontinue producing sedans. They want to produce more profitable SUVs and pickups and EVs.

Broke gear heads will find a way to feed their need for speed - it just won't be with anything new off the show room floor.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #107
white trash wagon
Lifer

Mikeb, you are correct on all counts. But 2 scenario’s may change that. A. Millennials don’t care about cars, and will spend as little as possible. B. We have a recession & high gas prices, and cheap cars will come back. I wanted a cheap, utilitarian truck -those are rare now! No more $15K Rangers.
white trash wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #108
Broncojohnny
Lifer

The car companies will all be broke once the next recession hits. Ford is already treading water. In my opinion we will be lucky if a Mustang is even made ten years from now.

This is for a couple of reasons, they will finance anyone, the only thing that sells the cars is the extended term financing and last of all no one really wants, and in a lot of cases can even afford to, buy the shit they sell at retail price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 PM   #109
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
... in a lot of cases can even afford to, buy the shit they sell at retail price.
Yeah but if they started selling stuff everyone could afford... what does that even look like? Are we back to 200hp Mustang GT's, and 300hp Cobras?

Tags
al p has a 95 5.0, nay sez fill my throat, nay sez hump my rump, nay suck 96 diks today, nay suk 5k dicks 4 a fox, ssjunk stuck in a 96