DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Home Improvement and Media

Home Improvement and Media Post up any home improvement, home audio, gardening, anything related to your house in here.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Default Decided to build a shed

I've been wanting/needing a shed for a while. I priced out some of the portable sheds you can buy and couldn't believe a 12x24 shed with a rollup door was $7,100 before taxes and delivery. I did some rough math and figured I could save at least half that building my own so I decided to go that route. This won't be an apples to apples comparison since I could only get 16' 4x4's so mine will be a 12x16.

I'm sure there are some tricks of the trade to get a floor leveled quickly but this one ate my lunch for a while. The cold and rain hasn't helped much either.

It took longer than expected, and I'm trying to time the build so the rain doesn't mess up my floor before I get a roof on. However, I finally got the floor done and two walls ready.

I've been thinking ahead of how I'm going to build the roof. I want the barn style roof to get more storage but getting up on this room has me nervous already. Does anyone here know how to figure "H" for the length of my 2x4's?

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 01-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member

See table 2, duh.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
jammeejamm
Lifer

my wife was talking about she wanted a she-shed too.

solid move bro!
jammeejamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member

You said G is 12 feet. That makes H 4'-7 1/8". The vertical height of the truss is exactly 6 feet. The nice part is that all 4 legs of the truss are identical so get one cut perfect and then use it as a template to make the rest of them.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
See table 2, duh.
Lol, that was a link to buy their shed plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
You said G is 12 feet. That makes H 4'-7 1/8". The vertical height of the truss is exactly 6 feet. The nice part is that all 4 legs of the truss are identical so get one cut perfect and then use it as a template to make the rest of them.
Whoa!! If the vertical height is 6 feet, then that's not going to work. I'm not climbing that high.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
Whoa!! If the vertical height is 6 feet, then that's not going to work. I'm not climbing that high.
You could always change the angles and reduce the height of the truss, but it would be easier to just build a traditional shed roof if you want the roof peak to be lower. And the barn roof would probably look a bit odd, like a mistake, if you break from the normal angles. And you're probably only dropping the peak maybe 18-24 inches if you go with a simple shed roof.

Another thought is to slope the roof from a high point in the front to a low point in the back, just one single roof plane at an angle. All depends on the look you're after.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
GeorgeG.
Lifer

This is the roof I'm going for. It seems to be lower than the diagram I posted. I had come across that on cheapsheds.com and thought having one size board to cut would simplify things.

I like the barn style roof to maximize storage space when I add a 5 or 6 ft loft

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 11-29-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
ceyko
Lifer

Yes, the loft space helps tremendously on these things man. Did you try pricing at Texas Steel Industries (TSI) there in VA about 2 miles north of exit 51 on the west side? That's where I bought mine and it was really fair priced. Yes, I would've saved 20-25% at the time - doing it myself - but I needed something quick. 2 coats of paint....decent hardware...etc.

I bought a shed and trailer from them when I moved in, but my worry is now that we're growing they won't be so - low margin/willing to flex.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
GeorgeG.
Lifer

I checked another metal building place in Howe and it was cheaper but I didn't really want a metal building, plus I tend to make things complicated for myself and decided to build my own

At this point, I'm already committed to finishing it. All four walls are standing and fastened together so I need to get moving on the roof stat!
Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member

Then just build the barn roof. The one you pictured is exactly the same angles as the one I used for the calculations above. The height of the roof (from bottom of truss to top of truss) is exactly half of the width, no matter how wide.

The six feet you're worried about during construction is the 6 feet you WANT for storage for the life of the building. Just do it.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #11
juiceweezl
Lifer

Click this and look at the FWH2 down the page a bit. It was originally designed as part of a shed kit hardware package. They will make it easier to tie everything together with the roof framing.

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...-2017-p355.pdf
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Progress has been really slow...which sucks. the rain is killing me, the short days are killing me, deer season is killing me. I'll get it finished eventually.

I decided to go with the roof design that Tx_92_Notch provided. I made a sample truss and realized it wasn't that bad a single board size was much easier.

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 12-07-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
Click this and look at the FWH2 down the page a bit. It was originally designed as part of a shed kit hardware package. They will make it easier to tie everything together with the roof framing.

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...-2017-p355.pdf
If I was going with a traditional pitched roof, I'd be all over that.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
juiceweezl
Lifer

Quote:
That 4 way connector can do the barn roof. Those pieces flex. You'll have to cut the tab off for the outer ones, but otherwise it works for a barn roof perfectly.

One board goes horizontally all the way (attach the bracket to it first). Then slope cut the rafters and attach to the board via the bracket. We actually used to sell a shed kit that had the jig to cut it with and everything for a 22.5 degree roof.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
juiceweezl
Lifer

Quote:
Follow this link: http://www.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB...ion.docid=1782
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
slow84lx
Lifer
VIP Member

How did this turn out? Post some pics of the finished shed.
slow84lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

That $7,100 probably sounds pretty damn cheap now!
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #18
GeorgeG.
Lifer

I'll take some more pics and upload them this weekend. I'm actually headed to Houston tonight to pick up the rollup door for it.

So far, including the door, I'm out about $3,500 bucks for materials (no tools). I did have to buy some additional tools so while I'm kind of factoring that in, it's still cheaper than buying one and I learned a ton along the way. I've added a framing nailer and roofing nailer to my arsenal. I'm not going to lie though, there are times I think about what it would be like to have had one delivered, stuff my shit in it and lock it up and call it a weekend.

The most important thing I learned out of this....DO NOT start something like this anytime after October or if we're expecting a wet season. The rain has been an absolute bitch to deal with. If I ever see mother nature...I'm straight up kicking her in the crotch with a steel toe boot. The rain has been the #1 PITA. Just about when it was about to dry out so I could work on it, it would rain again. Then the cold, then having to miss weekends that I was supposed to be at the deer lease. I'm glad it's almost over.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member

Done yet?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
GeorgeG.
Lifer

While searching for truss designs I came across a YouTube video that explained how to make a jig using the floor. This was a tremendous help. I attempted to use mending plates with the spikes for the joints but hammering them on was ineffective and they were all beat to hell by the time I finished one. I decided to go with OSB board and used construction adhesive and screws for each one..

Finally got them all done. A big shout out to Tx_92_Notch for the length and angle dimensions. It was actually easy because my miter saw had a detent to cut that degree

Trusses going up

Between the rain, cold, and hunting season, I had to work with lights if the task permitted it.

Now I remember why I was trying to get a lower pitched roof. I hate heights and this thing is massive. Fortunately my son in law is young and fearless so he got up there to screw the decking down.

The roll up door was a great decision. Much easier that trying to make doors that won't sag over time. Install was a breeze. All I need now is to finish up the trim work and paint.

I also need to finish roofing. Unfortunately I had to return the scaffolds so I have to do this with the ladder. I also ran into an issue with the tar paper. I left it with just tar paper for about a week and it started to sag before I could shingle it. I guess the sides of the roof is too steep. I had to tear it all off and use the plastic tarp looking underlayment. It's much easier to work with though. I hope to have the roof done this weekend and will post a pic of it.

Overall, aside from the timing and weather, this was well worth the savings. I can't say I'd go with that roof again though.