DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #41
shumpertdavid
You Can't Fix Stupid
VIP Member

Check out the Wisenet stuff at Sam's, they have 4-16 wired camera systems (the base will monitor 8 or 16 cameras depending on system you get) with 1-2 Tb of storage capacity for reasonable prices ($250-550). They used to be Samsung but switch branding recently
www.rusertmachine.com Midland,TX 432 684-7644
shumpertdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #42
White_lightning
Lifer

This is why i have 300 Watt LED lights all around my house.. when i flip that switch it's fucking noon all around my house. Cameras all around with motion detection.. Also.. "spare mag" like 1??

forget Buckshot.. look up Centurion defenders.. much better than buckshot ..

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
White_lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #43
Jose
Lifer

As other's have already mentioned, good lightning (both normal and motion activated) and a camera system. I don't live out in the country but I do live on 4 acres in a not so great neighborhood. I have a neighbor only on one side of me and he is similarly on a big lot with a dense tree line separating us so we can't see each other's houses.

A few things I'll add. Have at least one good handheld light that is only used when something goes bump in the night; I prefer Surefire and Streamlight flashlights. Pick up a general purpose flashlight you can use for EDC stuff. I like to have weapon mounted lights as well; I have one that I mount on my Glock's, another I have mounted on my AR, and I'm working on getting one mounted on my shotgun. I prefer weapon mounted lights in case I don't have a free hand to hold a light. And you definitely need a light to positively identify what you might be destroying.

Have a house alarm that you can arm at night and has a cellular monitoring with a panic button. Make sure you have good solid doors and windows that get locked every night. And though it probably won't make a difference, I like to have a good solid fence around my yard and a gate on the driveway. Although the fence can easily be hopped over, it still gives me peace of mine and keeps animals out (and allows me to let me dog roam free). The gate also keeps anyone from easily driving up to my house. Before I had both put in, I had people taking shortcuts through my yard because they were to lazy to walk around. I've also had people pull up in my driveway and leave when they saw me and had one stolen car dumped in front of my driveway.

Get a good dog, hell get two. If your wife and family are there by themselves, they can alert them if something is a miss. I can't tell you how many times my dogs (I used to have two but the other passed away a couple of years ago) have alerted me to stuff going on outside my house that I didn't hear because I'm either gaming or watching TV.

And finally get some training. Learn how to fire from cover, how to fire fast and reload quickly, and how to clear a malfunction. Simply firing a hundred rounds at the range is not enough. Firing a thousand rounds over a couple of days was an eye opener to me. It fixed some problems I had like shooting low and to the left with my Glock's, gave me confidence knowing I could hit what I was aiming with, and also how not to panic and shoot under pressure.

Oh I should add, have a plan for the family on what to do if something happens again. i.e. what room they retreat to and have a good door and lock in that room.
Jose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #44
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I've made some adjustments but still have a few more to make. I added LED motion lights to both rear corners of the house. I still have to add two more to the front. I also went with 00 buckshot since it was readily available on the store shelf. Removed the plug so now the Mossberg holds 6 rounds and I bought a side saddle to hold an additional 7 rounds. This will be he wife's go to gun so she'll be getting a lot more practice with it. The top nightstand drawer has been cleared out so there's no other crap in there to get in my way should I need to grab it quickly and the safe will be moved to our room.

Thanks for the tips Jose. I'll be picking up a light that will only be used for bump in the night stuff. Hopefully I'll have the camera system installed and two more motion lights this weekend.

So where's some good places to train? GE, are you saying the place y'all go to is already booked for 2019?
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #45
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Fenix makes a good light w pressure switch support, the uc35/pd35 should fit the bill and it's relatively cheap for a 1k lumen light. I have a uc30 for my hunting gear and wouldn't go into the woods without it. The UC/PD 35 come with a rear switch and belt clip, which i didn't realize until i got my 30. Don't miss those features a ton, but the belt clip would be nice.

edit: here's the link w/ pressure switch and mount. i'm gonna go ahead and pick one up for one of my rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Weap...qid=1547236664

Last edited by lowthreeohz; 01-11-2019 at 01:01 PM.
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #46
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I've made some adjustments but still have a few more to make. I added LED motion lights to both rear corners of the house. I still have to add two more to the front. I also went with 00 buckshot since it was readily available on the store shelf. Removed the plug so now the Mossberg holds 6 rounds and I bought a side saddle to hold an additional 7 rounds. This will be he wife's go to gun so she'll be getting a lot more practice with it. The top nightstand drawer has been cleared out so there's no other crap in there to get in my way should I need to grab it quickly and the safe will be moved to our room.

Thanks for the tips Jose. I'll be picking up a light that will only be used for bump in the night stuff. Hopefully I'll have the camera system installed and two more motion lights this weekend.

So where's some good places to train? GE, are you saying the place y'all go to is already booked for 2019?
Sounds like a solid plan. As far as training, GE meant that I've already signed up for (or planning to) a few classes already this year. Unfortunately most of them are not in the DFW area. I'll send you a message later on with a list of some you might be interested in.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #47
71chevellejohn
my Maserati does 185

TLDR... In before SVOautoerotica gets in here with his country stories involving two hookers, a dominatrix, a midget and a goat!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #48
krazy kris
Lifer

I live out in the sticks. You need to shoot your gun more on your property. We shoot so much someone would have to be really fucked in the head to come over here unannounced. I also don't have any neighbors so there's also that. Maybe it was kids naynayknocking? Do you have any neighbors with kids?
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #49
shumpertdavid
You Can't Fix Stupid
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
You need to shoot your gun more on your property. We shoot so much someone would have to be really fucked in the head to come over here unannounced.
If you're out of the city limits, this isn't a bad thing. Set up some pistol targets if you have a backstop of some sort or natural barrier. There's a benefit to everyone thinking you're the craziest motherfucker in the area. Random shots at all hours of the night don't hurt either. It worked for us for years. My dad's reputation still stands years after his passing.
www.rusertmachine.com Midland,TX 432 684-7644
shumpertdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #50
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

https://techaeris.com/2019/01/11/ces...curity-system/
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #51
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
TLDR... In before SVOautoerotica gets in here with his country stories involving two hookers, a dominatrix, a midget and a goat!
Sheep, not goats. Goats are ugly.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #52
cobrajet69
EVERY day is.............

Ive got a Lorex 4K, 16 channel camera system with a 9 TB NVR using POE (power over Ethernet) wiring. Two different styles of cameras but all have the best night vision capabilities I could find. Remote viewing is awesome and very high clarity. Power over ethernet is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

David
cobrajet69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 AM   #53
Shorty
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
Fenix makes a good light w pressure switch support, the uc35/pd35 should fit the bill and it's relatively cheap for a 1k lumen light. I have a uc30 for my hunting gear and wouldn't go into the woods without it. The UC/PD 35 come with a rear switch and belt clip, which i didn't realize until i got my 30. Don't miss those features a ton, but the belt clip would be nice.

edit: here's the link w/ pressure switch and mount. i'm gonna go ahead and pick one up for one of my rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Weap...qid=1547236664
I have a UC35 and really like it.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #54
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

If you're not sleeping tacticool, are you even really sleeping?
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #55
line-em-up
N Memory of Mike 12/27/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Sheep, not goats. Goats are ugly.
Plus, the sheep's soft wool are so much softer on your groin than the goat's wiry, stiff hair.
line-em-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #56
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
Plus, the sheep's soft wool are so much softer on your groin than the goat's wiry, stiff hair.
You know why you take them to the edge of a cliff to fuck em?

So they push back.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #57
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
I have a UC35 and really like it.
I've purchased 5 since I found out about them, 2 for myself and 3 as gifts for hunting buddies. A good light makes all the difference in the woods after dark
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #58
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
All of this. I have a G17 in my nightstand with a good flashlight (with strobe) next to it. The gun has night sights too. If I hear bump in the night, I'm coming at you with it in my undies. I will not take the time to dress, put on shoes, load a gun, etc. There is an M500 with tactical setup with a full tube of defense loads in the cabinet by the bed. The wife gets it when I leave and heads to the kids.
I have cleared my house, numerous times, in nothing but my underwear and my XDS. If you are trying to catch/stop someone, time is of the essence. Don't go to the safe for a back up weapon, grab your loaded pistol, and start clearing the house.
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #59
Jose
Lifer

Although I have brighter and more expensive flashlights, I always find myself using my Surefire G2X or 6PX Pro. They are fairly cheap at around $50 or so depending on which one you get (the G2X is the cheaper, lighter one) and they were recently upgraded from 320 Lumens to 600. Plenty bright enough for me to see things across my yard and I live on 4 acres. I have both version and although the 600 lumen would be my go to, the 320 lumen version is "serviceable".

https://www.surefire.com/g2x-pro.html

And just an idea what I paid for it although out of stock.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFi...ht-p/6px-d.htm
Old 01-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #60
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
VIP Member

G2X tacticool is what I have, best flashlight I've ever owned.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buildwallaroundurhome, kimura would armbar, nay looking 4 dik, ruff cnc lazer gun, ruff cncd commando, ruff sez offer bootyhole, ruffwould takeit in ass, svo would bite his nose, wtf ruff??