X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPE, % of max, etc and actual workload

Person A has a 1 RM squat of 150 lbs.
    Person B has a 1 RM squat of 500 lbs.

A workout calls for 5x5 deadlifts at 80% of max.
    That comes out to 120 lbs for A and 400 lbs for B.

RPE, or Rating of Perceived Effort, might be the same for both people, but when it comes to total work capacity and recovery time... are those the same also? Do they directly correlate to RPE?

Is the CNS taxing the same (linear with weight or exponential)??
    When it comes to total work capacity and the beating being put on the body, are Camille and Hafthor on the same level if they are both working at the same % of max, or does Hafthor physiologically beat the shit out of himself more because his actual weight is higher?

Last edited by Strychnine; 06-19-2015, 07:20 PM.

[ronnie coleman] everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weight[/ronnie coleman ]

Comment

Apples and oranges imo, not to be compared, but it could be stated that they are both working as hard I suppose, in terms of persception. That said, Hapthor is definitely physically taxing his body more, the heavier weight takes a toll on the CNS as well as his cardiovascular system. I wouldn't think that recovery isn't the same for the simple fact that he's got more muscle to repair, AND likely connective tissue at play that a lighter athlete doesn't.

I guess my point is that the body doesn't scale 1:1 when a person get's stronger, only their muscles get bigger, whereas all the supporting systems, brain, heart, bones, lungs don't (hGh out of the equation). They do, of course get better conditioned with training, but not to the same scale as the muscles.

I can think back to when I first started lifting, and in the early years going to failure with heavy weight was relatively "easier" than it is today. What I mean by that is that after I've done a set, the target muscles would be fatigued, I'd perhaps be breathing a little heavier, but over all relatively relaxed. After a heavy set today in the same rep range (to failure) I am breathing harder, sweating more, and feeling more tired. Quite simply, there's more blood to pump/oxygenate today, and more muscle fiber to send signals to.

Comment

Here's my bro-science two cents: I find that the total weight lifted (reps x weight) is a better comparison than the RPE. I feel like CNS taxing is more exponential. Beginner lifters should be doing additional volume on main lifts and accessory work even at the same RPE of working sets.

Comment

Physics equation work = force x distance

Does a tall guy lifting less weight accomplish the same amount of work done as a short guy with more weight?

Comment

Just revisiting this one for my question above. I've never been a physics whiz and I'm not fat gravity is just harder on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              I can think back to when I first started lifting, and in the early years going to failure with heavy weight was relatively "easier" than it is today. What I mean by that is that after I've done a set, the target muscles would be fatigued, I'd perhaps be breathing a little heavier, but over all relatively relaxed. After a heavy set today in the same rep range (to failure) I am breathing harder, sweating more, and feeling more tired. Quite simply, there's more blood to pump/oxygenate today, and more muscle fiber to send signals to.
              Is there really more blood, or is it so much harder on you because you've got basically the same volume of blood that can only carry so much oxygen, and it's got more muscle demanding more oxygen?
              Originally posted by TeeShock View Post

Does a tall guy lifting less weight accomplish the same amount of work done as a short guy with more weight?
              Yes
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post

It will require more work to move a weight a longer distance in even the simplest view. Thats also ignoring any inefficiencies of how that work is applied. So even moving weight the same distance may require more energy from person to person.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                  Is there really more blood, or is it so much harder on you because you've got basically the same volume of blood that can only carry so much oxygen, and it's got more muscle demanding more oxygen?Yes
                  Yes, the body makes more blood to supply the additional tissue, but the heart can only pump it so fast, and the lungs can only oxygenate it so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    It will require more work to move a weight a longer distance in even the simplest view. Thats also ignoring any inefficiencies of how that work is applied. So even moving weight the same distance may require more energy from person to person.
                    I don't understand the body enough to dive into those inefficiencies.

Lean gains are challenging.

Comment

The CNS is not taxed the same. There is one simple reason, mechanical leverage. One person may have a longer bone or a broader chest or some other physiological characteristic that changes the mechanical leverage a given size of muscle provides. Two people might both 1RM 500 lbs on bench press but one of them may be using more or less tricep to do it.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X