Who collects watches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
    I think 30-40 hours is normal for manual wind watches depending on brand.

For comparison my Cartier is auto and lasts about two days when not worn. This is my daily wear so it’s rare to ever have it stop.
    Yep, my Tudor (Auto winding) is the same, if you don't wear it for a couple of days then it stops. My everyday is a nice old Citizen EchoDrive dive watch, the Tudor is for client meetings, Sundays, or if I have to actually go into the office.
    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
    Work In Progress

Comment

• I don't understand watches and to be specific I mean some of the features that are common... I'm an adult I know it's typically dark at 12am and light at 12pm so you just wasted your time informing me of that. I know the date typically cause I'm not an action hero that got knocked out for 3 days... so yep you can scratch that too. I do like the stop watch function just cause it's easier than going through my cell phone to find an app, and I do like a nice looking face which is actually why I like the less cluttered feel of a more traditional looking regular watch for daily wear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raskal View Post
        I don't understand watches and to be specific I mean some of the features that are common... I'm an adult I know it's typically dark at 12am and light at 12pm so you just wasted your time informing me of that. I know the date typically cause I'm not an action hero that got knocked out for 3 days... so yep you can scratch that too. I do like the stop watch function just cause it's easier than going through my cell phone to find an app, and I do like a nice looking face which is actually why I like the less cluttered feel of a more traditional looking regular watch for daily wear.
        In today's age the sole functional aspect of a watch is merely being slightly easier to tell the time/date than pulling a phone out a my pocket, or finding it in the house. Beyond that it's merely jewelry, no other reason than liking the way it looks.

Comment

• Has anyone joined one of those watch subscription services? I saw an ad for Watchgang and watched a few reviews. Just curious what everybody's take is on them; Or if anyone here had good/bad experience with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
            Has anyone joined one of those watch subscription services? I saw an ad for Watchgang and watched a few reviews. Just curious what everybody's take is on them; Or if anyone here had good/bad experience with them.
            Been thinking of this also lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big A View Post
              In today's age the sole functional aspect of a watch is merely being slightly easier to tell the time/date than pulling a phone out a my pocket, or finding it in the house. Beyond that it's merely jewelry, no other reason than liking the way it looks.
              There are definitely use cases in excess of being easier than pulling out of pocket.

Some work areas restrict cell phone access completely and require them to be locked up. This is the biggest one to me.

When I go on any wet weather activity I can wear my watch...but I'm not carrying a phone.

Also...on long bike rides I have my phone locked up, but I use my watch a lot to make sure I'm not too far away to return in time for anything meaningful. Pulling over and opening the storage on my bike is a much bigger inconvenience than just pulling out of pocket...it actually disrupts the activity.

Comment

• My wife got me this for Christmas. Its a Runwell by Shinola out of Detroit. They seem to get snubbed by watch collectors, but I like it. I spent a week or so digging into the world of watch collecting and it really just doesn't get me that excited. But is is kinda cool having a watch that cost as much as my old dodge van. lol

Comment

• I'm also a smaller guy (only 5'8" so a lot of the bigger nicer watches look ridiculous on me.

this one is only 41mm and it still feels kinda big.

Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                    Has anyone joined one of those watch subscription services? I saw an ad for Watchgang and watched a few reviews. Just curious what everybody's take is on them; Or if anyone here had good/bad experience with them.
                    I did for about 3 or so months. They buy them in massive bulk so you will get watches at a good price the down side is you have no say in what you get at all. Honestly I would not do it again better off saving the money and get what you really want.

Comment

• I'm saving a spot in here for the IWC moonphase that I saw this last trip to Bellevue. Too many obligations right now with the move and looking to spend way too much on a house, but I've got to dream to keep from drowning.

Comment

• as tech and engineering improves shouldn't watches get thinner instead of thicker? i hate fat pig watches

Comment

• Originally posted by scootro View Post
                          as tech and engineering improves shouldn't watches get thinner instead of thicker? i hate fat pig watches
                          How much do you want to spend?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

• You gents are too sophisticated for me. I got into watches at one point and have one or two high end watches. I had at one point a Rolex Oyster. To be honest though, I just wear a G-Shock DW-6900. Heck, I even have a Timex Ironman. Damn near bullet proof and can be had for less than $60.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big A View Post
                              How much do you want to spend?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                              now that's classy! fuck them fat watches

Comment

• Went to Vegas last month and spent a lot of time in the boutiques. Saw some crazy ass watches!
                                My grail!

Jacob & CO is putting out some crazy pieces!

My pick ups since last posting-

Comment

Working...
                                X