Doing my first half marathon, any training programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing my first half marathon, any training programs

Doing my first half marathon in December at Bryan/College Station. Anyone have a training program they recommend? I am not concerned about finishing it (even though I have never run more than 8 miles) as I am about keeping a good pace for the distance. I started doing sprint tri's this year and a few 5k's and I am building up to half and full Ironmans and thought this could help.

Shit man if you can run 8 miles you can run 13. You're body can do it you just have to convince your brain it can...lol. the most I've run is 13. Shit the weather in Dec should be good for running.
    2012 5.0 M6
    sigpic

Comment

I just got back into running, but pushed to far to fast. Started with an hour at 6.3 mph, then an hour and 20 minutes, and after I that just slowly increased the speed and time at random until my achilles tendon started giving me problems. Taken a week off with naproxen and see how it feels tonight.
      De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

The hell with that. I average 4.8 mph according to gps. I'm not trying to break records I just like to run. So I jog at a steady pace. Its funny I see people sprinting past me but I notice they only run short distances. I'm doing 5 miles now but I will up it to six and get back to 13 in a month or 2. The key is not to get too crazy too fast and let your body adjust. But hell I remember when I was at 9 miles I just said screw it and ran my first 13 miles. It was all in my head IMO.
        Last edited by 07Bluovl; 09-26-2012, 09:13 AM.
        2012 5.0 M6
        sigpic

Comment

Felt great till 20 minutes in, pushed it to 30 and called it quits. Being broke sucks.
          De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Id chill for a week or two.
            2012 5.0 M6
            sigpic

Comment

I am not worried about finishing it, for now I guess I will shoot to get it done under 1:40. If I could do that I would be one happy man.

Comment

Working...
              X