Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know about your frame, but the OP is good sized and should be able to easily bench 300 from the chest. Only reason shoulder injuries occur from benching is someone gets real stupid when trying to press heavy by squirming or favoring one side over the other instead of planting themselves to the bench or benching far beyond what their frame can handle. I mean if it's "non-existent" for an inch off the chest then it should be no problem. I've asked a few people why they bench the way they do and they all say the same lame thing about injuries. It's crap and a bad habit to get into. They use that as an excuse as to why they cannot perform full range of motion sets, but sure love to parade they moved a heavy set up and down a few inches. I'm 42 and have been benching heavy for the last 5 years faithfully nary an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      Don't know about your frame, but the OP is good sized and should be able to easily bench 300 from the chest. Only reason shoulder injuries occur from benching is someone gets real stupid when trying to press heavy by squirming or favoring one side over the other instead of planting themselves to the bench or benching far beyond what their frame can handle. I mean if it's "non-existent" for an inch off the chest then it should be no problem. I've asked a few people why they bench the way they do and they all say the same lame thing about injuries. It's crap and a bad habit to get into. They use that as an excuse as to why they cannot perform full range of motion sets, but sure love to parade they moved a heavy set up and down a few inches. I'm 42 and have been benching heavy for the last 5 years faithfully nary an injury.
      I'm not competing. It was a slow controlled rep. Maybe I should bounce it off my chest like the majority of people I see. Maybe not.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
        I'm not competing. It was a slow controlled rep. Maybe I should bounce it off my chest like the majority of people I see. Maybe not.
        He's obviously right and you're obviously wrong. Get over it.

Comment

When I get into the higher weights I don't touch to avoid potential shoulder injuries.
          I use to do the phonebook method. Lay a phonebook when benching . Makes for a more entense workout. Create a bench press when more strengrh is need. But your still doing the same harm to your shoulders doing this method also. Should be lighter weight and slow reps. Not so much pressure when doing slow reps

Comment

Who cares what he thinks, your good man!
            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

I got LONG forearms and never touch my chest when benching. no need. i have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries and it puts way too much stress on them......and if you think it is a lame excuse, you have your head up your ass. everyone is made different. some guys have short beefier arms and can touch chest, others have longer thinner bone structure and it could injure to go that far down.
              Last edited by Jester; 08-24-2012, 02:11 AM.
              May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
              Semper Fi

Comment

It should be a controlled rep from start to finish which includes touching your chest to lockout. As said if that one inch is "non-existent" then by all means, make it count and stop making excuses like the majority of those who use it as a crutch.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                Not so much pressure when doing slow reps
                Boards are great for attacking certain areas that are weaker throughout a rep, but shouldn't ever be considered actual reps of a given weight. With even a 2" board significantly more weight can be added to a set than normal.
                Originally posted by Jester View Post
                I got LONG forearms and never touch my chest when benching. no need. i have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries and it puts way too much stress on them......and if you think it is a lame excuse, you have your head up your ass. everyone is made different. some guys have short beefier arms and can touch chest, others have longer thinner bone structure and it could injure to go that far down.
                Then they should train correctly before trying to lift heavy.

Comment

Who cares...Flat bench press is soo pointless in my book, that is... unless you like bragging to your buddies about "how much you bench" or of course, for people like Greg, that actually compete with it.

Either way, congrats to the OP on your new best.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                    Flat bench press is soo pointless in my book, that is... unless you like bragging to your buddies about "how much you bench"...
                    Kind of like this thread?

Comment

Never did bench for max. Used to work out starting with 85lb dumbells in each hand-12 reps, then 90lb dumbells-10 reps, 95lbs-8 reps, 100lbs-6 reps, then back down in weight. I really need to start working out again, not just for my health, but because I actually enjoyed it.
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Chest is the only muscle group I work out in a traditional manner. Other than that I stick to various O' lifts, and crossfit type stuff. To SS Junk, if you went through a workout with me, I have a feeling that I wouldn't be the one making excuses.
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

stinks like sex in here
                          May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                          Semper Fi

Comment

Good lord SS Junk...again?

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                              Good lord SS Junk...again?
                              I took care of it.

Please keep this section clean gentlemen.

Comment

Chest is the only muscle group I work out in a traditional manner. Other than that I stick to various O' lifts, and crossfit type stuff. To SS Junk, if you went through a workout with me, I have a feeling that I wouldn't be the one making excuses.
                                If Tae Bo is your thing then by all means, knock yourself out. Please to not be mad that I called you out on this and start in on the complex of how much better you are than I. It's just a simple fact that your bench is far from "traditional." In order for it to be such you should first complete that rep from chest to lockout and then post up solid barg.

Comment

Working...
                                X