This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol cartridge power comparison

I thought you guys might find this interesting. I made this chart today because I had always wanted to see the best load comparison. These are the hottest *within max pressure* loads for each individual cartridge. So you can see a true comparison of all the handgun cartridges. This is based off of Energy delivery as the primary, but I have included the bullet weight, velocity, and the power factor as well. I found it pretty interesting.

***UPDATED 01/31/13 - Corrected both .22LR & .22WMR for barrel length. Added 9x18,5.7x28,.327 Federal, and .45GAP by request.
    Last edited by CJ; 01-31-2013, 06:05 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Where's .460 S&W Magnum?
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      Where's .460 S&W Magnum?
      Whoops, forgot that one!
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Happy now, you sumbitch? I included the power factor because I know someone with a bersa is going to wander in here and have a stroke.

Comment

So that is not 9mm +p then.
          IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
            So that is not 9mm +p then.
            No, once we get into overpressure and +p and +p+ the data just gets skewed and isn't reliable. Since I'm using standard pressure ceilings the data is just as valid. If we went into +P+ most all of the calibers would rise accordingly and still remain in their current position, just the overall averages would increase.

Comment

. 357 out performs 10mm?

.40 out performs. 45 acp?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                No, once we get into overpressure and +p and +p+ the data just gets skewed and isn't reliable. Since I'm using standard pressure ceilings the data is just as valid. If we went into +P+ most all of the calibers would rise accordingly and still remain in their current position, just the overall averages would increase.
                I just wanted to see my beloved 9mm closer to .40
                IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                  . 357 out performs 10mm?

.40 out performs. 45 acp?
                  I think purple is the important bar.
                  IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                    I think purple is the important bar.
                    They're all important, just saying based on his order of calibers.

Comment

I'm really not sure what the "Power factor" is, but the Energy field would be the most telling to me.
                      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I need to adjust a few of the calibers, primarily the 22 calibers. I forgot to adjust for barrel length.

Comment

Where does my good ole .327 stack up? No need to alter the graphic, just let me know between which calibers it would fall. I'd say between the .357 sig and 10mm, but just guessing.
                          Last edited by Geor!; 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM.
                          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            I need to adjust a few of the calibers, primarily the 22 calibers. I forgot to adjust for barrel length.
                            I was just about to question the performance of the .22lr shown.

Stevo
                            Originally posted by SSMAN
                            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

What exactly is power factor?

Comment

Working...
                              X