No announcement yet.

1958 3200 Chevrolet Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I talked to him this morning and he is going to do the antique registration.

Comment

• The suspension settled so my dad pulled the wheels to add camber shims today. With the wheels off he noticed the front brake calipers were leaking again. One of them had already been exchanged twice so we are just going to get a refund for both and try another brand.

The passenger window regulator was also acting up so it was pulled and repaired.

Comment

• My dad did the registration and picked up some new calipers today. He also had some new glass cut for the side mirrors so those will go back on soon.

I was just able to drive it a bit more and the rear end is making noise under load. I did some reading and it seems like it may be the pinion bearing failing or a pre-load issue. Would it be worth checking the pre-load value and tightening it if out of spec, or should I just pull it and have it gone through?

I am also considering painting the hubcaps the same white as the wheels so opinions on that would be great.

Comment

• I'd keep the chrome caps, as far as the diff, it doesn't cost anything to check it out. How's the fluid? Was it regeared or rebuilt recently?
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
            I'd keep the chrome caps, as far as the diff, it doesn't cost anything to check it out. How's the fluid? Was it regeared or rebuilt recently?
            It is all stock as far as I know. I think my dad picked it up at a yard in denton when we first started on the truck.

The fluid is new and he says the old stuff did not look bad when he drained it.

I just pulled the driveshaft and there is a good bit of play in the pinion. I think I am just going to pull it out and have it looked at. Maybe we can get away with just doing the pinion bearing.

Comment

• Might as well go through it, my experience is to just rebuilt the whole thing when it comes to diffs. It's an opportunity to get exactly the gearing you want, also.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• The gearing is where we want it so hopefully the ring and pinion is still good. I think you are right about getting everything else replaced though.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                  I was just able to drive it a bit more and the rear end is making noise under load.
                  What kind of noise?

I've experienced two things you can check before you pull it apart.

One, incorrect pinion angle can cause the U-joint to bind under load.

Two, see if the grease zerk is hitting the inside of the yoke. Sometimes there isn't enough room for it and you'll have to flip the U-joint over or remove the zerk and plug it with a set screw.

Comment

• It is definitely gear noise/whine from the ring and pinion. I had to deal with pinion angle and U joint issues in my v8 s13 and this sounds nothing like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I'd keep the chrome caps
                      X2

Comment

• Do we have a sponsor or member who could take a look at and likely rebuild this 8.8?

I am having trouble getting ahold of the person I usually use.

Comment

• We pulled the axle and took it to get rebuilt last week. Hopefully we can get it back and installed by next weekend.

My dad got the glass in the old mirror housings and resolved a coolant leak we had near the heater core.

Comment

• Is this enough axle bearing surface wear to need replacement?
                            Last edited by NoClassic; 03-31-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• kinda hard to see honestly. Did you use calipers to see if you've lost any material? Was it leaking before? It doesn't look too bad to me, I don't see any groves or problem areas.

Comment

• The diameter is good but there is pitting in that discolored band.
                                Last edited by NoClassic; 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X