Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here have experience with different barbells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here have experience with different barbells?

Looking to buy a new barbell. I'm looking to stay around the $300 range but ideally lower since it's gonna be a beater bar. I've mostly been looking at the Fringe Sport Bomba 1 and 2 bars, and the Evolution bar from Again Faster. There is the Klokov bar from Again Faster that would be ideal, but with shipping I'd be looking at $360'ish.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

I've always worked out at a gym, so never priced any weights, damn that's a lot of money for a hunk of steel.

The stuff at the gym lasts for years of daily use, and holds up fine, I'd be looking to buy everything second hand. Play it again sports perhaps, or Craigslist?

Comment

I looked out of curiosity, and their website has the bigger Evolution at $160, which looks to be a decent bar. I see absolutely no sense in spending that much for the Klokov, is this an elite crossfit thing that I don't understand, being a lowly strength athlete?

Comment

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

All under a hundred bucks, seriously, what do you need the fancy bar for?

Comment

Have a York bar at the gym I go to that gets beat to shit by cross fitters. Should do you fine.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Oly-Power-Chrome/dp/B0039Z5FHQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434295375&sr=8-3&keywords=york+barbell[/ame]

Comment

I've always used a Rogue budget bar, but we just got my wife a new Get RXd bar (hard chome 5.0 WOD, 35 lb). The difference in the bearings and the spin is ridiculous. I know part of it might be age (3 yrs vs new) but damn... and her new one still probably wouldnot compare to a higher end Rogue, AF, etc. I've read some really good stuff about the AF Klokov bar.

Aaron, for bench, deads, etc it's all fine but when you get into heavy oly lifts that have transitions (clean, snatch, etc) a good spinning bar can make a difference. Oly bars are generally built to withstand dropping better than "standard" bars.
            Last edited by Strychnine; 06-14-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              http://www.ebay.com/bhp/olympic-bar

All under a hundred bucks, seriously, what do you need the fancy bar for?
              As already stated, it's about the spin. If you're throwing 200 lbs over your head from the ground and the ends of the bar don't spin, the momentum of the weights rotating will throw you on your back. I have a shitty cap bar right now. Looking for something of a better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                I've always used a Rogue budget bar, but we just got my wife a new Get RXd bar (hard chome 5.0 WOD, 35 lb). The difference in the bearings and the spin is ridiculous. I know part of it might be age (3 yrs vs new) but damn... and her new one still probably wouldnot compare to a higher end Rogue, AF, etc. I've read some really good stuff about the AF Klokov bar.

Aaron, for bench, deads, etc it's all fine but when you get into heavy oly lifts that have transitions (clean, snatch, etc) a good spinning bar can make a difference. Oly bars are generally built to withstand dropping better than "standard" bars.
                For the price, the Klokov bar seems the best bang for buck, but I'm wondering how well it will take a LOT of drops. That's my only concern with that bar. The Wonder Bar from Fringe is great. Really like the knurling on them and the spin is adequate. My only problem is that they rust like a motherfucker. The ones at my gym (not even an open door crossfit box) have rusted bad in the 6 months that they've had them. I used a bomba for a bit when I was in a box and it was pretty good. Never fucked with a bomba v2. Plus if you ever have any problems with a Fringe Sport product, they'll bend over backwards to make sure you're happy with them. Hands down, best customer service I've ever had with a company.

Comment

Are old bars really a problem? Some of the bars at metroflex in arlington look like they're from the stone age. Never worried, never cared, but I have seen some flex when other people were using them, that might give some people pause.
                  WH

Comment

TPB Texas Power Bar is a classic.

I am REALLY intrigued by the tsunami barbells. Would love to get under one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Are old bars really a problem? Some of the bars at metroflex in arlington look like they're from the stone age. Never worried, never cared, but I have seen some flex when other people were using them, that might give some people pause.
                      There's not wrong with older bars, or bars bending. Good bars are designed to bend.

Don't know why but this video had me really nervous when they start bouncing the bar.

Comment

OP, if you are still interested a good buddy of mine sells new and used gym equipment for these guys...
                        Fit Supply is a commercial fitness distributor in Texas. We sell commercial treadmills, ellipticals, strength training equipment to all commercial markets.

All his barbells are not on the site but he can get you info and so forth if you call.

They are located in Arlington and have supplied a few gyms around here.
                        817-965-9727 - Andy
                        Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 06-16-2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Went with the bomba bar from fringesport. Great knurling, decent spin for not being a needle bearing bar. Should take quite a beating before needing to be replaced.

Comment

Add this.
                            Shop our wide selection of supplements including protein powder, pre workout, vitamins, BCAAs, and more with free shipping on qualified orders!

Comment

linkin, those grips kick ass for grip training. I haven't missed the toilet yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X