1989 FZR600 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 FZR600 project

Cliff notes: got a project bike that i'm losing or lost intrest in.

Back in 2003, i picked up a non-running bike from a guy for $250. It was 90% intact but hadnt run for at least a few years. I spent the summer tearing it down to the frame and getting it powdercoated. Got the engine rebuilt completely and sourced out some missing parts was well as replacements. Even picked up a R6 fiberglass tail and was going to work it out as a swap.

I didnt notice that when i got the frame back that the powdercoater had ground off about 50% of the brackets, hook loops and screw holes. He also PC'd over the vin tag. In addition, he cut about 8 inches off the rear subframe (tail section). I was able to get everything mounted and inplace, but when i started to do the test fitting of the seat, tail and tail fairing i saw the missing brackets. Ah well, i can figure something out since i've got a welder.

Bought a straight tail section that was cut off a wadded bike for transplant and donor pieces. About this time i was curious about getting round to the title, but i've since found out tht the guy i got it from never had the title. Someone traded him the bike for a toolchest. I was informed by dallas county that i couldnt register the bike in my name as i cant identiy the orignal owner. Its quite possile i have a stolen bike on my hands (whats left of itx). No frame no bike no title

At this point, i'm either going to have to locate a titled fme ($600) and do another teardown/rebuild just to get back to where i am now

Or, i can pull the parts and dump the frame in the trsh.

Neither one is profitable or necessary as i've got a bike i love already. Should i even bother ith the replament fame knowng that i'm at square one.

O great board trolls- let me have it!
    Last edited by Binky; 05-17-2011, 11:49 PM. Reason: Fucking ipad

I'd cut my losses and sell what I could on Ebay. There is no market for an 89 FZR600 other than the one in a million that want one for nostalgic purposes...and even with that being the case I am pretty sure that you could pick up a legal, running one with no title issues for under a grand.

Comment

Can you register a bike as a home built vehicle?
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Track bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          Can you register a bike as a home built vehicle?
          Or get some aircraft stripper and remove the powdercoat to reveal the VIN and get a bonded title.

You'll have to run a bond packet ($10.50) at the main DMV in your county. If it's free of liens and isn't stolen the bike will have to pass a safety inspection and get green sheet like an out of state transfer. Then you'll have to get a surety bond. After that go register it.
          US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
            Track bike?
            yes.

that little fazer would love the track.

Comment

The biggest problem is the rear subframe and all the mounting points being ground off or cut short. I've got a MIG welder, but some of these tabs are pretty tight on clearance or thin metal so it'd be a challenge to fix. Even if I did get this frame up and going to use as a title, nobody would ever buy the bike because of all the repairs that I would have done. I'm gonna look again for a spare frame and see what can be done as if I do part it all out I'm going to take a bath with everything I spent already.

I like the track bike idea because I'm scared to take the Triumph out. It's in such great shape I'd lose my mind if I wadded it up.

Comment

Just track it, there is no other use for the thing.

Comment

Who is the fucking retard you sent it to to get powder coated ? I'd of whooped a motherfuckers on the spot for that shit......holy hell.
                  Vortex rear stand $75
                  8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                  My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                  11 4 door
                  13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Was a local guy on the canadian board back in 03. I was younger, dumber and didnt realize what he had done until later. By then, he had fallen off the planet and closed shop.

Comment

Hmmmmm id make a 600cc go kart with the motor and trans lol

Comment

Powder coater = discretionary fabricator?

Comment

Started the process last night -

Before

After

And to give you an idea of what I mean about the tail and everything being gone, here's a photo of an unmolested tail section:

Comment

Working...
                          X