Rural Internet options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rural Internet options

I'm moving out to lake alvorado and need some input on ISP for livin in the sticks . Me and the fam all have att iPhones and galaxy s phones so we will have some access but mine is the only unlimited one . We are wondering about options like clear verizon and so on . I'm told there is no cable dsl fios and the only onsite option is some satalite company . As I've had hugesnet for 2 yrs now and I effin hate it (slow ,usage caps , upload is nonexistent ) I don't want a satellite provider . What do y'all think , who do you use and what are your complaints if you have any .
    Thanks y'all
    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

What's your wireless service like out there?

Comment

3G 3 bars if I remember right
      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Should not be "some satellite company", any satellite company should do. I think it is Direct that gives you a TiVO type DVR with their service too. As in it really is a TiVO, not some homegrown DVR.

IMHO, satellite is just fine if you're not gaming. This of course assumes solid installation and so forth.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

But they have daily throughput caps and ul is limited to dialup.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            But they have daily throughput caps and ul is limited to dialup.
            Pretty sure satellite comms can be full duplex these days. Will verify though.

Comment

Every one I'm aware of is slow, limited and requires dialup.

Comment

meh, figured it be fast by now...

Starband is one i used back in the 90s. IMO, the suckiest part is the latency. Swear those speeds are slower then when I used them.

Comment

I stand corrected, instead of getting better over the years satellite has really gotten shitting. What's the point of "high speed" if you're limited to 400 megs a day? Stupid.

Comment

I don't know where that lake is at but one of my friend uses this company.

She said they recently bought or got bought out by another company that does the same type of internet service in BFE areas.
                    2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Does verizon have a unlimited data plan and if 4g is avail out there what type of speeds could I expect . I know it's not really 4g unless they have upgraded the back haul but I I sign a contract and it dosent work that's my out . Att is showing 4glte in burleson but I know their map is bull shit . I was looking for a website that shows Internet options on a map but all I kept coming up with was advertisements . And the satellite thing is absolutely the worst thing since having to set a landline handset on the modem and hearing all the noise . You can't even run a windows update without hitting the cap ! The black ops update took 9 hours . I don't even try to get online with my ps3 for fear of throwing it through my tv ! Thanks y'all

Comment

I am about as far in the sticks as you can go and I have DSL. Before that option though, I used a company call Wi Five. They had a wireless canopy system that had really nice speeds.

Comment

Thank you lookin in to wi five now

Comment

Someone ban that motherfucker.

Comment

Wi five turns out to be east Texas only so I've checked on all the cell providers . Sprint has unlimited data plans on 4g but capped at 5gigs if u run on 3G virgin mobile has "unlimited data" till you hit 5gigs then download is cut to 256k. att has shit for plans at whatever level, they top out at 4gigs . Sprint would be the winner if 4g was in that area , but it's not . It looks like I'm shit outta luck . Here i come bull shit satalite company. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                              X