DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #21
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
1 - Everyone on this forum knows you don't know what you're talking about except you.

2 - I am and have always been in better shape than you in the 17 years I've been on this forum.

3 - the science you think you know is far from having the benefits you think it has. You were once preaching about drinking the same snake oil that the rest of you quitters posted about.

1. Wrong...

2. Wrong. Well maybe for a 4 year period, but certainly not now. I still doubt it though.

3. Wrong again.

So tripple wrong, in typical ruffdaddy fashion. Just stop being a pussy, and do something good for yourself. Learn something new. Trust me bro, the benefits are very nice. I would say to ask the other members here who also learned how to do it, but I have a feeling that you're waaay too dense to actually learn anything from that.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #22
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member

Alright, weight is headed back in the right direction. Definitely was too many carbs.

BTW, pan fried green beans is the best. Especially when going with a steak..
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #23
Sgt Beavis
VIP Member

Back below 185lbs. Weighed in at 183.4 this morning.

Damn knees are acting up still so no running for a bit longer. Just doing power walks for cardio. Finished the first week of the strength training program on Peloton. Lower body wasn’t that hard so I’m gonna add more weight this week. Upper body was a BITCH.

I basically have baby arm.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
Back below 185lbs. Weighed in at 183.4 this morning.

Damn knees are acting up still so no running for a bit longer. Just doing power walks for cardio. Finished the first week of the strength training program on Peloton. Lower body wasnít that hard so Iím gonna add more weight this week. Upper body was a BITCH.

I basically have baby arm.
Man I'm 185 ish depending on the time of day and have a baby arm too...but i think we are talking about different parts of our anatomy...lol

At 5'10 I'm mostly happy with my composition but will shoot for 2-3 more lbs and call it good.

I just Did a juice cleanse that helped me realize just how sodium bloated I am at times.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #25
Sgt Beavis
VIP Member

Quote:
Man I'm 185 ish depending on the time of day and have a baby arm too...but i think we are talking about different parts of our anatomy...lol

At 5'10 I'm mostly happy with my composition but will shoot for 2-3 more lbs and call it good.

I just Did a juice cleanse that helped me realize just how sodium bloated I am at times.
I'm 6'2" so I I'm not hating the change in my appearance. I'm looking at this in several directions. For one, I want as much weight off my knees as possible. They just got back to the point that I think I can get back on the treadmill. i just need to make sure I don't overdo it again.

I'm on week two of the weight training. I really pushed myself with the dumbells. This was an upper body day. Tuesday is another leg day.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
Sgt Beavis
VIP Member

So maybe a change in direction in my workout plans.. Four weeks ago, I started a strength training program on the Peloton app. I finished it last Saturday and now I'm making strength training part of my normal routine. I'm basically doing this now:

day one - Full Body workout
day two - light cardio
day three - upper body workout
day four - light cardio
day five - lower body workout
day six - light cardio
day seven - light recovery exercise

I'm at 182lbs and I'm not going to be concerned with weight loss at this point. In the past, one driver for that was to simply remove the amount of stress I was putting on my knees. These strength exercises have done a lot to help with my hips and glutes to the point my knees don't ache. So the focus is to build muscle and eliminate the last bit of fat on my body. I still have a couple pounds of fat in the gut that prevent me from really showing off the improvements to my abs. I've been seeing some great results but now I'm going to see how far I can take it..

I don't want to put on much weight either. My thinking is to reduce fat and build muscle. If I end up weighing a bit more, but with less fat, I'll be really happy.

To that end, I'm adding more protein to my diet and cutting back simple carbs as much as I can. I am, however, making sure I get plenty of complex carbs. Lots of veggies, oatmeal, etc. My wife has finally relented and stopped buying/baking cakes and such.

OK, so with that said, there are weird things happening to me. I sweat A LOT MORE than I used to and it smells a lot more. I'm speculating that my metabolism is up at night. I really have a ton more BO when I wake up. This despite turning the AC down to 69F every night.

The weight training has been VERY effective on my lower body. my thighs, calves, glutes, etc., etc. are looking fantastic. My upper body has been slower to respond but I think they just were in worse shape to start. After four weeks I look in the mirror and HOLY SHIT I HAVE ABS AND BICEPTS.. Seriously, I didn't look this good in my eight years in the Army. It's hugely motivating.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice I've gotten here. Thanks for that guys..
Old 05-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #27
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

One the BO front...are you getting enough fluids? If you're dehydrated your body fluids just discharge a higher concentration of waste.

Also props on the hard work Paying off! Keep it up!

Losing those last few lbs will be very hard...especially without losing muscle along the way. At this age...unless you're on hormone therapy...building muscle while cutting is substantially harder than when you're 18-24. It should help that you actually are starting from a point of not being upper body fit as that makes gaining easier at first. Being lean makes muscles look bigger so that always helps!
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #28
Sgt Beavis
VIP Member

Quote:
One the BO front...are you getting enough fluids? If you're dehydrated your body fluids just discharge a higher concentration of waste.

Also props on the hard work Paying off! Keep it up!

Losing those last few lbs will be very hard...especially without losing muscle along the way. At this age...unless you're on hormone therapy...building muscle while cutting is substantially harder than when you're 18-24. It should help that you actually are starting from a point of not being upper body fit as that makes gaining easier at first. Being lean makes muscles look bigger so that always helps!
actually drinking more water than ever.... and thanks..
Old 05-23-2020, 02:31 AM   #29
Shorty
Lifer

Quote:
The weight training has been VERY effective on my lower body. my thighs, calves, glutes, etc., etc. are looking fantastic. My upper body has been slower to respond but I think they just were in worse shape to start. After four weeks I look in the mirror and HOLY SHIT I HAVE ABS AND BICEPTS.. Seriously, I didn't look this good in my eight years in the Army. It's hugely motivating.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice I've gotten here. Thanks for that guys..
Your lower body just had a head start especially with all the running. Being bigger worked your legs muscles more too just carrying the additional weight. The best calves you will ever see are on fat dudes and former fat dudes.

Reading through the thread you're definitely on the right track. Good work.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #30
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Your lower body just had a head start especially with all the running. Being bigger worked your legs muscles more too just carrying the additional weight. The best calves you will ever see are on fat dudes and former fat dudes.

Reading through the thread you're definitely on the right track. Good work.
HAHAHA. I never really knew if it was years of biking or me weighing 375 lbs, but I do have some redonculous calves. The one thing I always get comments on also.

I am hanging in there, bastards made me eat brownies and ice cream last night. Steady losing weight and since we have enough equipment at work now I can get the occasional bi tri and chest on after work. I figure a quick 20 minute lift keeps me from just withering away. The bikes keep me good on legs, kind of sort of.

Last edited by kingjason; 05-24-2020 at 11:08 PM.
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #31
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Alright, weight is headed back in the right direction. Definitely was too many carbs.

BTW, pan fried green beans is the best. Especially when going with a steak..
Oh an wait the F a minute. Explain this pan fried green beans. I like green beens with ham or bacon, but only out of a can usually. I hate fresh green beans, except the one time my friend, who could really cook, made them with onions and ham. I think she cooked them all day though.

Also while talking about that. I made beef and broccoli low carb style and it was better than anything I have ever had at a restaurant. Like thin cut your steak, cook like 1 minute or so, pull, slap in some broccoli/chicken broth, garlic,and soy sauce and let it cook a while. Throw beef on top and walla.

Look up crack slaw also, it works with Chicken or beef. There is a reason it is called crack slaw.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #32
Sgt Beavis
VIP Member

yea so a long long time ago, my wife and I tried blanching grean beans in boiling water, then putting them in a pan of butter or olive oil for a few minutes. We just stirred them a bit like making stir fry. Added some salt and pepper and I was hooked. It’s now my 2nd favorite veggie. You don’t even have to blanch it. Just throw it in the fry pan.

The most favorite is broccolini. The best way it to pan fry it in a little bacon fat. Of course most times I just steam it.