Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build or buy 29er all around gravellish bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Surely you mean the dude talking about dirt bikes and participation trophies...

And you've been talking about very expensive bikes in every bike thread around...sorry I assumed you actually were referring to buying them.
    I talk about carbon and titanium bikes a lot, and have owned a few, currently my recumbent is Ti. I generally don't buy exotic new though but I will dabble in the 1500 and under stuff new. I did buy a Team Cannondale once that Wheels in Motion found in the attic two years old. It was less than half price, top of the line, Dura Ace bike, today that bike would be 6k. I try not to drop below 105/XT levels of the day as the shifting gets sloppy but frame material is subjective.

I am probably out on the Carver Ti frame as the more I look at it the more I think it is taller then longer, unlike the Merlin.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

bro you are exaggerating. i can think of two times. i remember one was when i called you vizzini, which was supposed to be funny. i laughed, and maybe someone else chuckled. that is why i interweb on this site for there are some truly funny people here.

not you though. bro you are a miserable, insufferable cunt that i assume uses this site as some kind of validation. as i said, there is no way i am the only one that sees this.

the vizzini thing works too. it is inconceivable kingjason might have been referring to you right?

one more thing, do not call him shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Not only that but when you call him out, he starts trying to justify why and then tries to distort what was said. No where in this thread have I talked about building or buying a bike over 2500. I posted the Merlin because it is a timeless look but I also said they were out of their minds. The only reason I started eyeballing building that design again is I found a company making the Ti frame for 950.00, so affordable. I just sold a Carbon bike with some high end Mavic wheels on it, it just sat most of the time. I want reasonably fast, Stylish, and a coosh ride to phase out having 7 bikes in the gargae, so gravel like but not gravel. There are a couple of companies that make something close (Surley) but not right on the money for me. There is always that one guy that does not contribute to the content.
        I get what you are saying, I paired down from 4 bikes to two a few years back and am glad I did. The wife has a bike and so does the kiddo so having four in the garage is a enough.

I went with a Surly. It's not perfect by any means, but it does what I need it to do which is mostly leisurely riding and some touring. It is heavy, but it rides great and will outlast me most likely.

Ti is light and strong, but not as durable based on my research. I agree the Merlin design is pretty timeless.

And no matter what anyone thinks, a human powered bike is the most efficient machine man has ever built (carbon wise). I won't be shopping e-bikes until I'm too old to pedal if I live that long. Exercise that I enjoy is part of the equation for me.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          With a brooks saddle and internally geared hub, that is quite a cool bike. I suppose you could put some gravelly type tires on it and enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm considering changing my bike from 2x10 to 1x11 or 1x12, but haven't done it yet.

I do have new brakes to put on it. I'm not a big fan of Tektro crap, but the Avid BB5 is rock solid reliable and I have them; just haven't installed them yet.

I agree with your sentiment on good Shimano and SRAM derailleurs. Crappy ones aren't worth it, which is why I even get my kiddo a good brand of bike. When we are out riding, I don't want to be stranded by crappy gear.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
            With a brooks saddle and internally geared hub, that is quite a cool bike. I suppose you could put some gravelly type tires on it and enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm considering changing my bike from 2x10 to 1x11 or 1x12, but haven't done it yet.

I do have new brakes to put on it. I'm not a big fan of Tektro crap, but the Avid BB5 is rock solid reliable and I have them; just haven't installed them yet.

I agree with your sentiment on good Shimano and SRAM derailleurs. Crappy ones aren't worth it, which is why I even get my kiddo a good brand of bike. When we are out riding, I don't want to be stranded by crappy gear.
            I should have made a offer on that one before it got going. I sold my three in three freaking days or so.

I am down to my Ti recumbent, my MTB and the wifes Pink Drifter 21. I am going to look good sporting that pink beauty. I am re cabling my recumbent, and I don't want to rough up my tires on the MTB. Bikesdirect sold the F out of my bike.so I am reconsidering the Carver. I think it is just at a weird angle in the pics and I think it will be nice built up. Currently at 3200 in my Ebay cart so I need to tone that shit back some! I am telling you my MTB parts are looking better and better. I want a hard tail anyways! I really almost think I could buy a whole bike from BD and just trash the frame for cheaper.

My Current list

Carver Newsboy
            Brooks saddle
            SRAM GX Eagle 1x12
            Carver Carbon fork
            Stans Arch EX 29s
            King headset
            FSA bottom bracket
            Raceface Stem
            SRAM TLM brakes and Sram Centerline two piece rotors.
            KMC Chain
            Cane Creek thudbuster seatpost
            2 Schwalb century tires.
            Last edited by kingjason; 05-28-2020, 09:23 PM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If you do build it, I’d love to know how you like the SRAM GX 1x12. I’ve thought I’ve going that route too.

Your money, your bike, enjoy the heck out of it.

Comment

The only drawback, and I never thought of this until my knee started bothering me, is you lose a little in the middle. Now probably not a whole lot on a 1x12, but on my 8 speed it was definitely a jump from one to the next and hard to find the sweet spot for cadence. I had a 1x10 on that Spec Roll and it was pretty decent, two more gears might help a little.

I was out screwing around on my MTB thinking, hmmmmm, maybe some new wheels and tires and slap my Jones on it. It already has the same seat. I would just swap the tires for now while I am working on everything but those god damn 29 tubeless ready wheels are redonculous to swap out. Even knowing the trick of dropping them into a groove. I always wondered how bad the 2.8 tires on the Supermoto would be to swap out. I bought some new 26 in 1.3 tires for the recumbent and they are non folders, didn't even need tools.

On a side note I can not steal the MTB stuff for the Carver. The back wheel is a 145 bolt on the Carver a 135 QR. Everything else would have been ok, and all XT, with a 2x12 set up on it.
                Last edited by kingjason; 06-21-2020, 09:09 PM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I was all decided on a Spec Sirrus X 5.0 but then realized that bitch was blue. I need to eyeball one but the blue on the aluminum bike is fugly.

So, on the hunt again and found the Pinarello Treviso. I really like this bike but I might be hard to find in 55. Carbon and a nice looking design. They are 1500 all over but not in my size.

I also kind of dig this one.

We imagined it, we designed it and we built it, all that we desired in a flat bar road bike, crafted and engineered with superior components and uncompromised by convention or price.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

My first Ti is back together, all new cables, tires, full tune, etc etc. Now I am experimenting with my MTB I haven't used much since the trails are probably covered up. These tires are some serious rubber. I only got one today so I just mounted it, slapped on my bars, and rode down the street and back . That tire is sort a little heavy but rolls smooth. Glad I remembered all the steps to pulling tires and tubes off of those funky tubeless ready wheels.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-21-2020, 09:05 PM.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Does ridin the recumbent make your neck tired from holding your head in that position? I really looked into them when I was lookin for a bike, but couldn't risk that outlay on something I might not enjoy.

Comment

If it does you just add a headrest, mine came with one. I have been fucking with recumbents since I was 16. When I ride one I ride fairly laid back, even at that angle it is not bad, it is just better with a headrest. You can find recumbents cheap if you are patient. I almost bought a carbon CA2 Monday for 1200 but I already had the Ti one I was rebuilding. Find a Bacchetta Giro 20 with the bigger upright seat, those bikes are easier to learn on and the seats are super comfy. Then if you love it and want to go fast get one like mine. Look up Schlitter, Rans and Bacchetta for the top guys. My pool noodle is about to go and I am getting a finer recliner for the headrest. I had one on the Greenspeed Aero and it was dreamy, that thing laid me down at about 20 degrees though.

Oh and on a side note, if where you are is super hilly, recumbents are not great climbers. Rans has some super comfortable crank forward "performance" bikes also. I haven't got to demo one yet though.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Yeah, it is super hilly here, but I try to avoid anything big.

Comment

Bikesdirect got some more Ti straight bar bikes and I was seriously eyeballing them until I came across this. Exactly what I was looking for. I have asked them some questions but they will build it out with really nice equipment on the Gravel page. Probably going to be the winner.

Since 1999, Van Dessel has focused on building rides offering exceptional performance. Our impressive line-up boasts gravel, mountain and road bikes featuring advanced components and impressive design. Designed by Cyclists, for cyclists.

On a side note, my MTB with Thickslicks weighs in at 37 pounds. The new flat gaurd slicks are probably twice as heavy as the offload tires, holey crap. I am going to give her a go today or tonight. I never noticed it on dirt. Since it is all top notch stuff it made me start looking at hard tail frames. No hurry on that though for sure.

Edit

The ole big girl rolled out pretty nice. I know most of it is just the bars and seat/ set up, but not bad. The wind was full force coming home and slowed me down a bit. I may try my little time trial 10 miles course later balls out and see how far it is off my old carbon bike I should have kept.

Also, I read a review on the Van Dessel talking about quad and thigh rub. Looked down and honestly I had never thought of that before and probably going to be an issue. I guess style is just going to go out the door unless I have something built.
                            Last edited by kingjason; 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Van Dessell it is, they were great to deal with and I dig it. The bike looks even better in person. The 1x12 is not bad at all, beats the 8 speed I had for sure. It still has some major steps on 11 and 12 but I only found myself in them messing around. Just what I was looking for. Picked it up from Lantinis in Plano Friday. Cool guy and knows his stuff for sure. Was going to set it up tubeless on the spot if I wanted to. He had some cool merchandise also.

I had a Roll Cafe Racer coming also but decided it would just to be the same as this one almost. Assuming they cancel it that is. I mean they are on back order until mid July and mine should have been shipping out this week sometime. If not I will give her a few rides and throw it on Craigslist. I can't imagine I would like it better than this one.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I really like Specialized bikes but I'd never go for anything more than a fixed tail. I've got a Fuse Comp bike and it's been a great 29er. There is one challenge thought. Even though it's a large sized bike, the handle bars are just too low. I have to use my fingertips to ride comfortably when sitting on the saddle. Otherwise my lower back starts to hurt. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to replace the low rise handlebars with something taller. MUCH taller.

Comment

Working...
                                X