At home pistol training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At home pistol training?

So I've been working a lot on my aim with my little XDs 45, I am feeling really good about it. BUT I've not purchased a holster yet and have never practiced drawing my weapon. Honestly the whole process of drawing and firing as a beginner has me a little unnerved.
    I've been considering an option for getting comfortable and doing reps at home. There's a company that makes a gas powered airsoft XD with recoil and all the correct weight and features. I'm thinking I can hang a target in the back yard and practice drawing and firing as much as I like with a gun that feels familiar and fits perfectly in what ever holster I get. Also unlike dry firing my actual gun, it will allow me to see if my aim is still somewhat on target. The airsoft gun is $119, which is the cost of a few days worth of bullets at the range. Am I on to something good, or would i be wasting time and money?

If the trigger pull is the same or very close, you are definitely onto something good. If you do your dry fire practice correctly, you will be able too see how much you are moving the muzzle relative to the target. Also there are laser devices that will allow you to do dry fire practice with many guns. I have not bought one, but have considered it.

I really wish more ranges would allow you to draw and fire your weapon.... but it today's litigious dumbass age, that is asking too much.

Comment

You could also shoot an IDPA match with it and draw from a holster, or join a range like Dallas Pistol Club (where I shoot) and you can do all the live fire draw from a holster practice you want there.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

IMO, dry practice. Start slowly with the 5 counts. Slowly, you'll gain speed. Range time will just confirm the dry practice at home.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

download one of the free shot timers and use snap caps.

and if you want to push the training a little farther use one of the laser based trainers like https://mantisx.com/

Comment

On a slightly different note shot a Ruger Redhawk (44 mag) this am. Cowboy loads were great but then whet to factory and then my buddies "hot" loads.
            I am not in that good of shape 40 pounds overweight and quit doing the strength traing for racing the Kart 63 years old. what do you suggest to get in shape for shooting this hand cannon with all the gyms closed and only work out at the house for now.
            Last edited by Kart21; 04-17-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Fuck man, holsters. I'm the same way. There must be a thousand different types, and a thousand variants of each type. Did anyone ever make the perfect CCW holster? Easy to hide, comfortable, and easy to draw from? All while being hard to steal the gun from you?

I doubt it. But hey, if anyone has a recommendation I'll take a look.
              WH

Comment

There are definitely no perfect holsters. I have several and am not really stoked about any of them.

I really prefer OWB types but then concealment becomes an issue. I have long flannel shirts that work well until it gets hot. When its hot I typically rock a pocket holster in cargo shorts. Deployment time could be an issue then.

I definitely believe in dry fire practice. With mag revolvers it really pays off. I do my best shooting with long barrel revolvers but getting back on target takes longer with hot loads.

I need to get rid of my glocks because I want a 41 mag revolver next and a matching lever gun.

Comment

IMO - take it in steps.

1. get a laser pointing device for your pistol. Start at low ready and do 100 PERFECT reps per day everyday. Start slow, speed will come with repetition.

2. build up your "muscle memory" to the point you don't have to think about aiming.

3. Then get a holster and incorporate your draw stroke.

4. Personally I would go with a Kydex IWB holster in appendix carry. Forget fussy retention devices, they will get you killed.

5. Take a real-world CQB class that incorporates fighting with a pistol. ie. Pistol & Ground fighting, 0-5ft fighting, Krav Maga with firearms.

6. Understand that IDPA and the like are enjoyable sports, but they are just that SPORTS. They in no way translate to the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                    on a slightly different note shot a Ruger Redhawk (44 mag) this am. Cowboy loads were great but then whet to factory and then my buddies "hot" loads.
                    I am knot in that good of shape 40 pounds overweight and quit doing the strength traing for racing the Kart 63 years old. what do you suggest to get in shape for shooting this hand cannon with all the gyms closed and only work out at the house for now.
                    Start with milk jugs. Add water as you progress.

Also shooting a full load 44 mag is totally different that shooting a 9mm. You are never going to be able to double tap or hold on target. Learn to ride the recoil instead.

Start at high-ready or low-ready.
                    Bring on target and squeeze and HOLD. Do not release the trigger.
                    Let the pistol recoil. Control it, dampen the recoil, but don't fight it. Release the trigger and bring back on target.
                    Learn the cup-and-saucer two hand hold.

Comment

Thanks S_K Need all the help I can get.

Comment

I would encourage you to get into a class that really focuses on the fundamentals of shooting. Something that goes in depth on grip, trigger control, stance, sight picture, drawing from the holster, presentation of the firearm, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                          I would encourage you to get into a class that really focuses on the fundamentals of shooting. Something that goes in depth on grip, trigger control, stance, sight picture, drawing from the holster, presentation of the firearm, etc.
                          THIS. Practicing with airsoft, dry firing, MantisX; that's all fine. But nothing beats reps of actually drawing a loaded gun and firing, the stress of timed reps, and frankly... a little peer pressure seeing how you stack up against others.

That being said. I regularly dry fire and practice drawing from the holster.

Comment

Working...
                          X